Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default "Cherry pickers"

I was reading another post and got to thinking...... When the word "cherry picker" is thrown out, Billy Moyers name is almost always thrown in. How can a man that almost unanimously is considered the top 2 best late model drivers ever, be a Cherry Picker? When people say he's the best, no one points out his 80+ Summer Nationals wins or his countless $10,000 to win shows. The only stat that's needed to put him at number 1 or 2 is the 6 Globes he's won. When deciding if he or Bloomquist is the better driver, No one says it has to be Moyer because he's won more races. No one really pays attention to race wins. They only care about Crown Jewel wins and major sanctioning body championships.

My point is, so what if Moyer wants to run for the almost certain $5k show instead of traveling 2 hours further down the road to race with stiffer competition... it's not like that $5k Win will matter in your eye anyway.

P.s. I have to been guilty of thinking he was cherry picking when he rolled into a track near me. But as I get older I realize, a person's career is not defined by the 100's of small races they won but the few big races they won.

Repetitive enough for ya?

Those posts come from people who are jealous of the drivers success.

It seems if you've been at the top of the sport at some point or another, and decide to fall back to a regional schedule and win, you're considered a cherry picker. Once they're done with the national scene, just hang it up fellas, unless you want to be looked at as a cherry picker.

I'm really hoping everyone can sense the sarcasm in that.
    Last edited by zyoung25; 05-03-2017 at 05:45 AM.

All I know is no one calls bloomquist a cherry picker.
    Always carrying my 2 Crown Jewels

No they call him much worse

In my opinion, anyone who calls a Super Late Racer a cherry picker is not much of a fan.
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by WisWildManFan View Post
    He is more like George Washington.......he just goes in and crotch chops the dam tree down to the ground.

Ftw
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

in order to be the best you have to beat the best,so if Moyer shows up at a 5K show and runs 8th against a bunch of local drivers, 7 drivers can say they out ran one of the best

My original point on the other thread before we got sideways (and it also ties into what GRT said later on), even these lower paying regional races aren't just gravy any more. The races people claim that the Moyers "cherry pick", they are losing 8 out of 10 of those. Everybody has great equipment and when you roll into some of these tracks that a local guy with great stuff runs at weekly, they are hard to beat. They might can pick a cherry ever now and then but they are going to have to duke it out with some other guys standing around the tree first.

My definition of a cherry picker is a guy who drives several hours past a higher paying race to go find weaker competition. If a guy has a decent paying race right in his own area that he chooses to run rather than travel all over hell that's just smart business.

"Cherry picking" is a term used by dingbats to indicate a driver/race team that chooses a venue where the odds of winning are higher; usually because of so-called "weaker" competition. If that driver/race term's sole purpose in racing is monetary in nature, then it would be foolish not to go where the odds of winning are higher. Traveling involves expenses and expenses have to be addressed before there is a bottom line. The closer to home one can stay, the less money is dedicated to paying for the travel.
    Anyone with any racing knowledge whatsoever knows that on any given night, Billy Moyer can and has beaten the best in the business so calling him a cherry picker makes the caller look like an idiot. Calling Moyer a shrewd businessman and you might gain some respect.

Quote Originally Posted by bullring View Post
    My definition of a cherry picker is a guy who drives several hours past a higher paying race to go find weaker competition. If a guy has a decent paying race right in his own area that he chooses to run rather than travel all over hell that's just smart business.
    Yep, and that's one of the reasons Moyer said he was never too keen on committing to a tour because he'd have to drive past better paying races to go run for series points. Also traveling to BFE with 90% chance a rain in the forecast because you couldn't afford to lose points by risking not going, and then it rains and you turn around and go back home with empty pockets and lots of burnt diesel.

Quote Originally Posted by cjp0354 View Post
    I was reading another post and got to thinking...... When the word "cherry picker" is thrown out, Billy Moyers name is almost always thrown in. How can a man that almost unanimously is considered the top 2 best late model drivers ever, be a Cherry Picker? When people say he's the best, no one points out his 80+ Summer Nationals wins or his countless $10,000 to win shows. The only stat that's needed to put him at number 1 or 2 is the 6 Globes he's won. When deciding if he or Bloomquist is the better driver, No one says it has to be Moyer because he's won more races. No one really pays attention to race wins. They only care about Crown Jewel wins and major sanctioning body championships.

My point is, so what if Moyer wants to run for the almost certain $5k show instead of traveling 2 hours further down the road to race with stiffer competition... it's not like that $5k Win will matter in your eye anyway.

P.s. I have to been guilty of thinking he was cherry picking when he rolled into a track near me. But as I get older I realize, a person's career is not defined by the 100's of small races they won but the few big races they won.

Repetitive enough for ya?
    The more accomplished you are, the more likely you are a cherry picker. That's how it works. If you haven't done anything, how can you be a no brainer winner against a given field?
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

OK listen up ya'll BMJ is not a cherry picker as ya'll call it he's a guy that Loves to go racing period and as far as his dad Billy moyer he has absolutely nothing to prove to anyone Jr has actually gotten pretty good the last couple yrs and has a pretty good chance of winning the snats this year
    I am what I am

Who cares? You posters on here have been talking about cherry pickers for the past 10 years that I've been checking this board and the posts have never changed. Same BS. It's been years and years of complaining and saying the exact same things everyone has already said before. If you're still ripping Moyer for "cherry picking" then you just enjoy complaining. Let it go

'97 HAT champion

As I said on another thread its cool if you want to drive a couples hours from your house to run for 1500-2k. But drive a round trip of ten hours for 2k... how is he making a smart financial move? Yes weather might had something to do with it but still Id rather stay home instead of wasting what money I had. Thats my opinion and just like everyone else Ill call it as I see it.
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WisWildManFan View Post
    Cause Bloomer doesnt run for 2k. The last time I know he did that was 25 yrs ago and he was at Volunteer Speedway in Herman Goddards car right before he signed with them to run Warrior cars
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bullring View Post
    my definition of a cherry picker is a guy who drives several hours past a higher paying race to go find weaker competition. If a guy has a decent paying race right in his own area that he chooses to run rather than travel all over hell that's just smart business.
    ^^^^^^^^^exactly!!!!
    I live with fear, but sometimes she lets me race.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber45 View Post
    Cause Bloomer doesnt run for 2k. The last time I know he did that was 25 yrs ago and he was at Volunteer Speedway in Herman Goddards car right before he signed with them to run Warrior cars
    U just said he doesnt but then u said he did.

Go hit ur bong again!
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!