Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Fans in the stands!?

I have a question and i have noticed it a lot as of late I see more and more people on social media loving tracks but you go to some of these tracks and attendance is down. I know everyone is tighting their belts these days but just wondered how people can worship a track on social media but u dont see butts in stands. I remeber when i was a kid u had to be at a track by 6 or ur @ss wasnt getting a seat. I wanna make this clear i am not bashing anyone or any track i know how somethings can be misconstrude.

Not sure what he's getting at here.

Social media is free and takes no effort #1

When those stands used to be full by 6 pm you had full fields in each class. you had the young generation wanting to learn how to do things on there cars and trucks. You could drive past gas stations and garages, especially in the evenings, and be welcomed in to check out what was going in. Let's look at 2017. You need to plug a computer into your car to get the best out of it, NOBODY wants to learn (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) about motor tear downs or trannies and rears. PAY PER VIEW. I can watch it with my laptop on my lap. CHANGING TIMES are killing weekly racing.

No one wants to go and watch 3 classes of 4 cylinders

Default Dragging

Dragging these shows out like some of these tracks is not helping attendance. I went to Bulls Gap last Friday, and Smoky Mountain on Saturday night. Both shows just kept dragging it out, Smoky Mountain only had 2 classes of sprints and super late models. They get our admission $$ and just keep us there till midnight. Absolutely no reason for that. The supers could have easily been done by 1030 both nights. There was no rain, no excuses. Smoky Mountain website said hot laps at 630, that must have meant Central standard Time. I really think these promoters and track owners are going to have to start looking more at this to keep fans coming back. I know Smoky Mountain was packed out, but people were leaving all throughout the night. Bulls Gap just went into slow motion. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    When those stands used to be full by 6 pm you had full fields in each class. you had the young generation wanting to learn how to do things on there cars and trucks. You could drive past gas stations and garages, especially in the evenings, and be welcomed in to check out what was going in. Let's look at 2017. You need to plug a computer into your car to get the best out of it, NOBODY wants to learn (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) about motor tear downs or trannies and rears. PAY PER VIEW. I can watch it with my laptop on my lap. CHANGING TIMES are killing weekly racing.
    I agree with everything you have said. We are in an evolution sort of like when it went from horse and buggys to Automobiles.... Everyone was interest in automobiles now youths have other interests. A lot of kids today have no interest in even getting a drivers licenses. Computers are the new automobile.. and stuff like IRacing and play stations are examples of it. It use to be if you wanted to race you bought a car now you buy a computer and steering wheel.
    Last edited by onlyfacts; 05-04-2017 at 06:14 PM.

Well here is my problem I live close to 2 race tracks one only runs bigger races the other race track is one lane after that I have to drive 2 -3 hours to get to another track so I only go to big races there I can't justify driving that far for a Saturday night race there are a lot of race tracks that I would like to go to but it's too far for a weekly race.

There's no promotion... gone are the days when the PR crew hit the streets wth hundreds of posters at local establishments... no event results in the papers or on radio/tv... no racers displaying their cars at their sponsors business'... no pace cars/safety trucks all lettered up and being used as daily drivers to get the word out... how many tracks/racers work together to take their cars to schools/scout meetings/local non-profit events/parades/malls etc. to display their cars and pump up attendance?

How many tracks give their drivers free passes to distribute to their sponsor's customers, school age kids or just the local folks in general?

When's the last time you, as a driver or car owner, advertised your local track on your hauler or trailer? When did you last ask your promoter for printed handouts that you could distribute to your local bars, parts stores retailers, etc?

When did you last call your local radio/tv station and talk to them about doing a feature on your racing team?

We are all in this together and we should all realize that EVERYONE is to blame for the dismal state our sport is in...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Nailed
    It
    Krooser

A few years ago I moved from dirt track country (Arkansas/Oklahoma) to asphalt country (southern Alabama/ NW Florida), and I have to say, the asphalt tracks seem to do a much better job of promoting with tv shows on race weeks where they interview local drivers and constant radio/tv promotion. 5 Flags Speedway is the one I am particularly referring to. Granted, that isn't your average local track, they have a huge event at the end of the year that probably funds the rest of the season, but still. They do a great job promoting. I see virtually zero promoting for dirt tracks outside of social media, where if you aren't "liking" or "following" or whatever you do on there already, a new fan won't see that.
    Last edited by zach51; 05-05-2017 at 08:39 AM.

Agreed I have a few cousins who are 21 w/o a license and they could care less! When I was younger that was all I thought about...but they have their smart phone so they are happy smh.. I guess I blame the technology in racing I grew up watching racing in the 80s and 90s and never heard a statement about a one lane track...and I blame technology for young people not having interest in the sport you actually got out of the house and were exposed to things like for instance going to a race track...that isnt happening now thanks to iphones and computers..they really are poisoning our youth...
    Last edited by Illtsate32; 05-05-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Races I've been to this year have been PACKED! But it's all about what you're trying to see. I travel this great country to watch racing in LOLMDS, WoO Lates, UMP SN, MLRA/CBC/MARS, and WoO Sprint Cars. This is in no offense to local/weekly show. I just have no interest in watching support classes. I know people have to start somewhere, but during that time is when I leave the grandstand, go to bathroom, get food and beverage and venture back to pits. However, if I'm able to be back at home (Davenport, IA) I love going to there weekly show if they're racing that night. I don't get much time off and when I do get the time, it's spent at big events with those series. Just my take, however, I try and do support all dirt track racing.

Good take Birky. I never made it far in racing, nor did I really try. I was the support class guy for about 10 years. I honestly didn't care if anyone was watching me or not, I was having fun. When my feature was done, I wanted to park that junk and get out and go watch the modified race. I don't think it is disrespectful to say that support classes aren't super enjoyable (although at the National 100 those are the best races of the week). But anyhow, they are just that, "support". Anytime I am looking at going to a big event, if there is more than 1 support class I really hesitate. A lot of the smaller touring series, specifically the MARS in DLM's or the ASCS in sprints, will go to a track on a Friday or Saturday and the track still wants to run their normal 5-6 classes. That is brutal.

I'd like to hit a race, but it won't stop raining up my way.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

I heard two radio mentions of LaCrosse Interstate Speedway this morning...in both cases they were offering free passes or reduced price offerings on the stations Saturday AM Bargain Show...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Not to bust chops on here but if two hard core racers don't watch races how do we get other casual fans to watch?

Quote Originally Posted by reid boys View Post
    Not to bust chops on here but if two hard core racers don't watch races how do we get other casual fans to watch?
    What do you mean? Who are you referring to?

I think it is like anything else in life, the support classes are great until you see the major late models or the 410 sprints (which will change your life). It is no different than the strip club (and ya'll don't try to act like you've never been), some of the girls look good until the 10's come out, and then once you get used to that, you go poop when the other's dance.

That makes sense guess never really thought of it like that.

What facilities and events are you referring to?

It really comes down to comparisons. Eldora is going to look EMPTY if it's just a regular race weekend (even if it's a capacity crowd at another track (3500)). Same goes for Knoxville (even with 5000 in attendance the place doesn't look full because the grandstand has seating for over 16,000 on the frontstretch), Charlotte (14,000 seats), Texas (13,000 Seats) or Vegas (13,000 seats) Dirt Track.

Other facilities that only hold 2000 people are going to look pretty full even with half that in the stands.

It's perception. Indianapolis is another good example. You can put 400,000 people in there for the Indy 500, so when "only" 150,000 show up for an F1 Race, NASCAR or another type of event, the place looks empty. But it's still 150,000 people (bigger than any NFL crowd ever).

Now, if you're referring to a track that gets race reviews and the place seats 1500 and there were 200 people there, then maybe there is a problem, but my guess is it's mostly perception.