Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Right on Krooser. My local track used to be packed for regular weekly shows. Now the only time its close is for fireworks (4th of july) or when WoO came to town. As a kid my uncle announced and handled PR for the track and he'd have me out with him posting flyers for upcoming events at local businesses. Not to mention ads in the local papers, radio spots etc. Its kinda sad seeing the parking lot and stands basically empty when i can remember having to park almost a mile away and wading thru the crowded stands to grab food

Nothing kills a crowd like backgate promoting, not only do you get classes like cruisers,hornets,4cy, etc. You also get the mentality in the stands of if you don't know someone then you shouldn't be there.

I can't figure out why these young girls go to the race's and sit and text all night on their phones, not even pay attention to the race's

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by dirtcrazy4u View Post
    When those stands used to be full by 6 pm you had full fields in each class. you had the young generation wanting to learn how to do things on there cars and trucks. You could drive past gas stations and garages, especially in the evenings, and be welcomed in to check out what was going in. Let's look at 2017. You need to plug a computer into your car to get the best out of it, NOBODY wants to learn (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) about motor tear downs or trannies and rears. PAY PER VIEW. I can watch it with my laptop on my lap. CHANGING TIMES are killing weekly racing.
    Some very good points.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    No one wants to go and watch 3 classes of 4 cylinders
    You got that right.

Quote Originally Posted by upaginit in North GA View Post
    Dragging these shows out like some of these tracks is not helping attendance. I went to Bulls Gap last Friday, and Smoky Mountain on Saturday night. Both shows just kept dragging it out, Smoky Mountain only had 2 classes of sprints and super late models. They get our admission $$ and just keep us there till midnight. Absolutely no reason for that. The supers could have easily been done by 1030 both nights. There was no rain, no excuses. Smoky Mountain website said hot laps at 630, that must have meant Central standard Time. I really think these promoters and track owners are going to have to start looking more at this to keep fans coming back. I know Smoky Mountain was packed out, but people were leaving all throughout the night. Bulls Gap just went into slow motion. JMO
    I agree. I would lastly add that promotion is all but dead and 90% of promoters don't promote anymore, they manage and find it easier to increases the back gate by running 10 classes that take until 2 or 3 AM and this runs off more of the front gate because who wants to be out till 2 or 3 with a family every week?

1) Set time limits on classes and stick to it. No excuses.
    2) Spin limit rule and enforce it, black flag to the pits your done.
    Last edited by MaverickSprints; 05-06-2017 at 03:46 PM.
    History doesn't always repeat, but it does often rhyme.

Krooser brings up some good points but to highlight the driver side of it... 20-25 years ago you would see 18-20 cars roll through a small town parade. Now you might see two. In my neck of the woods there have been car shows where the organizers have begged drivers to bring their cars only to end up with 3 or 4 so some of this is on the drivers as well.

With some of the drivers (in different classes, not just LM) that I'm close to it's like pulling teeth to get them to stop by a sponsor with their car before the races. It makes no sense. The sponsor(s) would love it if that car sat outside in their parking lot even for 15 minutes but you just don't see it anymore. Granted, with so many enclosed haulers it would just be another white box out front but regardless of that the opportunities are there...for some reason a lot of drivers/owners are not putting their cars on display like they once did. When they do it's at a race track before the show begins which is preaching to the choir.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by gjohnston View Post
    Krooser brings up some good points but to highlight the driver side of it... 20-25 years ago you would see 18-20 cars roll through a small town parade. Now you might see two. In my neck of the woods there have been car shows where the organizers have begged drivers to bring their cars only to end up with 3 or 4 so some of this is on the drivers as well.

With some of the drivers (in different classes, not just LM) that I'm close to it's like pulling teeth to get them to stop by a sponsor with their car before the races. It makes no sense. The sponsor(s) would love it if that car sat outside in their parking lot even for 15 minutes but you just don't see it anymore. Granted, with so many enclosed haulers it would just be another white box out front but regardless of that the opportunities are there...for some reason a lot of drivers/owners are not putting their cars on display like they once did. When they do it's at a race track before the show begins which is preaching to the choir.
    I agree with you on all your points, we racers do share some responsibility to with not providing more visibility other than at the track.
    History doesn't always repeat, but it does often rhyme.

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    There's no promotion... gone are the days when the PR crew hit the streets wth hundreds of posters at local establishments... no event results in the papers or on radio/tv... no racers displaying their cars at their sponsors business'... no pace cars/safety trucks all lettered up and being used as daily drivers to get the word out... how many tracks/racers work together to take their cars to schools/scout meetings/local non-profit events/parades/malls etc. to display their cars and pump up attendance?

How many tracks give their drivers free passes to distribute to their sponsor's customers, school age kids or just the local folks in general?

When's the last time you, as a driver or car owner, advertised your local track on your hauler or trailer? When did you last ask your promoter for printed handouts that you could distribute to your local bars, parts stores retailers, etc?

When did you last call your local radio/tv station and talk to them about doing a feature on your racing team?

We are all in this together and we should all realize that EVERYONE is to blame for the dismal state our sport is in...
    You seem overly concerned about your sport. hahhaahahaaaa

Quote Originally Posted by 70satomic View Post
    I can't figure out why these young girls go to the race's and sit and text all night on their phones, not even pay attention to the race's
    Maybe the racing actually sucks, by chance????

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Illtsate32 View Post
    Agreed I have a few cousins who are 21 w/o a license and they could care less! When I was younger that was all I thought about...but they have their smart phone so they are happy smh.. I guess I blame the technology in racing I grew up watching racing in the 80s and 90s and never heard a statement about a one lane track...and I blame technology for young people not having interest in the sport you actually got out of the house and were exposed to things like for instance going to a race track...that isnt happening now thanks to iphones and computers..they really are poisoning our youth...
    Nailed it !!!
    8/13/16