Default which hydraulic lifters

I'm needing a set of hydraulic flat tappet lifters. I was looking at Comp Cams. They list 4 different ones. How about their Race lifter? I like the snap ring better than the wire clip in them. Any suggestions?

Johnson if you can afford them. I've had problems with Lunati and 84000-16 Comp race lifters. Sealed Power HT-817 work fine but I would change out the wire snap rings with something heavier.

Those are a little out of my price range. I have had the wire clips come out or break in some. What would cause this. I did find out I had a couple quarts too much oil in motor. Don't know if that would cause it.

How much pre-load are you running? If the plunger comes up and hits the retainer it could break or come out. Johnson says minimun of .035 preload which is 1/2 turn on a 3/8 stud.

1/2 turn with 7/16 stud. Max rpm will be about 6500. Will any quality lifter be ok or are the anti pump up necessary.

I was having problems and bought the Johnson's. If I were to buy something different, I would go with the isky short travel ones.

Have always used DELPHIA lifters right from GM with the steel bottom, zero problems.

Carl is that a two piece deal?
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

I have had great results with Howard's anti pumps do not know who makes them .Years ago had zero problems w/ trw vl66 rh which I think now is the sealed power.They we're so good I ran them on solid lifters cams with lash just like a solid lifters. That way you could get a good profile cam and pass tech w/ hyd lifter. They finally stopped that w/ hyd lifter can have no lash.Todays hyd cams are so good no need to do it anyway.

I went with the comp hi tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Carl is that a two piece deal?
    Yes steel bottoms. Comp does not build lifters just reboxed cast iron lifters

Rhoads VMax, short travel anti pump up, one of the best kept secrets in hydro flat/roller tappet rules. Crush em on restarts and still have explosive top end power. Don't tell anyone your running them! http://www.rhoadslifters.com/Pages/VFlatTappet.html
    Last edited by CCHIEF; 05-30-2017 at 01:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CCHIEF View Post
    Rhoads VMax, short travel anti pump up, one of the best kept secrets in hydro flat/roller tappet rules. Crush em on restarts and still have explosive top end power. Don't tell anyone your running them! http://www.rhoadslifters.com/Pages/VFlatTappet.html
    I know some engines that guys run those lifters so for no problem crushing those engines any where on the tack.