Thread: Limited Late HP

Default Limited Late HP

I can buy an all steel wet sump motor for very reasonable price to try to move up a class, but dyno sheet says around 450 hp. I know this is quite lower than most regular limited Late engines, but I wondered if it would be worth the buy just to get used to things, or if getting something more competitive would be best money spent. I don't want to be 3/4 of a lap down after 20 laps just because I'm that low on hp. I usually run a 1/2 or 5/8 mile track. Any suggestions are appreciated.

What are the engine rules where you run? I've seen limited late rules vary quite a bit depending where you race.

Quote Originally Posted by rickybobby23 View Post
    I can buy an all steel wet sump motor for very reasonable price to try to move up a class, but dyno sheet says around 450 hp. I know this is quite lower than most regular limited Late engines, but I wondered if it would be worth the buy just to get used to things, or if getting something more competitive would be best money spent. I don't want to be 3/4 of a lap down after 20 laps just because I'm that low on hp. I usually run a 1/2 or 5/8 mile track. Any suggestions are appreciated.
    If you run small slick tracks you should be fine. Hell, I once set fast time at a local super show with a stock block, flat top piston, 23 degree head engine.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Most of the tracks that I would possibly run on are 1/2 or 5/8 mile. Their rules are pretty similar. 358 or 360 ci max. World products or factory gm heads. Flat tappet cams, flat top pistons. Wet or dry dump.

Ricky Bobby, your rules sound similar to mine. Although I believe tracks around me will allow Chevy bow tie heads and block. Not allowed anything titanium.

i have seen engines with less power than that win races, if its a good deal and quality stuff, it would be fine to start with, then you could upgrade (add power) as you go...

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane99 View Post
    Most of the tracks that I would possibly run on are 1/2 or 5/8 mile. Their rules are pretty similar. 358 or 360 ci max. World products or factory gm heads. Flat tappet cams, flat top pistons. Wet or dry dump.
    If you cant run the Chevy bowtie heads, you'll be in the ballpark. Between those and angle milling them is the main difference.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!