Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Fords

Ford has better low end power. Especially on dry slick. There is some guys who are Chevy all day long but they race with a Ford because of.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    Ford has better low end power. Especially on dry slick. There is some guys who are Chevy all day long but they race with a Ford because of.
    MDF, while I appreciate your contribution to this forum in several areas, your assessment on the Ford/Chevrolet here is incorrect. The power band of either brand is dictated by the camshaft/cylinder head/valve train combination and the adjustments of them. Couple that with the bore and stroke combination resulting in specific cubic inch displacement for a specific type of track. To say "Ford has better low end power" just isn't true. The "especially on dry slick" is even further from the truth. The power is what it is. It is what the engine builder builds it to be. Because dirt lm racing surfaces change from qualifying to heat race, to consi, to feature, it is almost impossible to have the absolute peak power and torque numbers in each of these conditions. While at the very top level there may be a very small percentage making adjustments to the engine in between races on any given night, it's way more commonplace to adjust the car during the night.

Quote Originally Posted by Senroc-Systems View Post
    MDF, while I appreciate your contribution to this forum in several areas, your assessment on the Ford/Chevrolet here is incorrect. The power band of either brand is dictated by the camshaft/cylinder head/valve train combination and the adjustments of them. Couple that with the bore and stroke combination resulting in specific cubic inch displacement for a specific type of track. To say "Ford has better low end power" just isn't true. The "especially on dry slick" is even further from the truth. The power is what it is. It is what the engine builder builds it to be. Because dirt lm racing surfaces change from qualifying to heat race, to consi, to feature, it is almost impossible to have the absolute peak power and torque numbers in each of these conditions. While at the very top level there may be a very small percentage making adjustments to the engine in between races on any given night, it's way more commonplace to adjust the car during the night.
    That was just what I was told. We always ran Chevy.

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    never watched DR phil , BUT I had rather have a sister working in a wh0re house than run a chevy, LOL , Wait, i work on a lot of that junk and some of my customers might be on here and figure out who i am,
    Me neither lol, was just all over the internet. Ask your kids about it, trust me, they know.

My wife had an 02 Explorer, pos. Had Cavaliers, Malibus, Sierra 1500, a WRX, and a new Rogue, liked or like all of them. In saying that, I like Fords trucks. And it 100% is a personal preference. Just had awful luck with the only Ford we have had.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Regarding the comments about engine hp and power band... anyone who was around in the 80's/90's can tell you the Fords dominated the 1 1/2 mile tracks because their basic design worked better than the GM and Mopar engines of that era. Same reason the 340 Mopar and many variations of the 327 Chevy punched way above their weight class in stock form... some combo's just work better in certain situations.

While I understand how to build an engine with a certain bore/stroke and the variations of a certain tune my experience of 55+ years of screwing with this stuff tells me the favorable power band of a certain engine is determined by the basic design of the engine... no one would expect a v-12 Ferrari to perform the same as a vintage v-12 Lincoln. Both v-12's but way different in performance.

Today's top driver's keep two or three different engines in the hauler and will use the engine that's suitable for the track they are racing on... might be one reason Bloomer has recently been spotted running a GM-based motor in recent weeks.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Senroc-Systems View Post
    i do agree with you about making power with any engine, especially with the redesigned heads chevy has today , I still think the ford design at its best has more controllable low end torque than the chevy at its best , i have dealt with both a good bit but i am not going to get into specifics on here just to prove a point, you might call jack cornett or durham and they can explain it to you.

If I was to go out and buy a engine today, if it was blue or red, would be one of my last concerns. If you can choose bore, stroke and rod length, plus piston top and combustion chamber shape, port flow at rpm,cam shaft lift, duration and ramp speed, rocker arm length, why do I care whether it has a blue oval or bowtie? I don't. I'm flat foot like a Duck and don't give a Quack. If it makes a lot of HP at a RPM it can live at and doesn't have a peaky toque curve that will break the tires loose with out stepping on the gas but still have good throttle response, I'm good. Depending on the tracks you run at, times of too much power out number the times of not enough.

your right about that bubster, thats why i never understood all the hoopla over a wide bore chevy, in the slick , which most tracks are now a days, whats the difference in 850hp over 900 hp, most drivers will tell you that with a conventional 850hp engine, they rarely use over 3/4 throttle.

The advantage of the wide bore is for places like Knoxville Iowa. It can stretch it's legs at Kville, but what they found out is you can detune that 500 inch engine and come out with a flat line torque curve. This you can use on a bull ring during qualifying and pedal when they get slow and slick. There is no replacement for displacement.