Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Thoughts...after getting home from Luxemburg

I made the 2.25 hour trek up to Luxemburg tonight from SE Wisconsin. Here's a few observations from tonight's event.

1) As many of you know, the Midwest has been hammered with rain over the last couple days and weeks. That said, I wasn't the least bit surprised to see the grader and pack trucks still on the track at 7:05p.m. when I arrived. What was surprising was how much clay/top surface they took off in order to get this race in tonight. There were piles of wet clay pushed to the infield around the entire track, except the front stretch. In some spots, the clay was 3 foot high. (More on that later).

2) Hot laps started at 7:30pm instead of 6:30. No biggie, gave us time to walk the souvenir alley. I applaud the tracks efforts to do what needed to be done to give the racers a smooth race surface and not a rutted mess. It was tacky early on.

3) Hats off to Luxemburg because they kept the show moving. They ran LM time trials 28 cars (2 at a time), 3 LM heats, 3 mod heats, 2 B-mod heats, Lucas B-main, 2 IMCA stock car heats, and the 50 lap LM feature in 2.5 hours. LM feature finished right around 10p.m. Waited for Babb's interview and then we decided to leave. In the truck by 10:15. (Skipped the mod features and stock car feature...kid has to work at 7am)

4) Speaking of Time Trials
    The Dirt Track Dominator got dominated on his second qualifying lap. He dipped the nose too low and hooked it on the pile of clay in the middle of 3 and 4. Can't say I didn't expect someone to do it, just not Bloomer.

5) Bloomer brain fart part TWO
    Early in the feature, (Bloomer started 6th), he just flat out got out of the groove again in 3 and 4. Parked it on the top of the track as the field passed him and waited for the caution. It was driver error plain and simple. Even the best have an off night and tonight was his. Cost him a trip to the caboose of the train. Finished last car on the lead lap. Two to three more laps and Babb would have put him a lap down.

6) Babb was fast all night
    He was fast in hot laps, he set fast time, won his heat, and took advantage of starting on the pole on a track that locked down. I blame Mother Nature. In order to race, they had to take a lot of material off the top and because the ground is so saturated. They couldn't water because if they did, it would have taken hours for the show to resume. Regardless...it was the same for all 28 drivers and Babb was the best tonight. Congratulations.

7) It was 41 degrees!!
    Another reason the track didn't dry out today after Thursday's heavy rains. It was cloudy and cold all day across the entire state. I dislike a train race as much as the next person, but I don't see what the track could have done any different. After a long cold winter w/out racing, I'm not going to complain. I got to see some of the best in the biz, all be it on a track that locked down. The track crew got the place ready to race and they kept the show moving on a night that resembled late October bow hunting weather instead of what we usually have in late May. It was 85 degrees on Tuesday!?!?!

8) Tip of the cap to the Modifieds
    They ran 3 heats, first two caution free, and 3rd one was heading that way until lap 7 when a car spun out...again in 3 and 4. B-mods too, raced clean and hard and no caution fest. Thumbs up boys!!

9) Better than LM Heat 3...
    Poor Brett Swedeberg. He looped it on the first lap, then on two successive re-starts he had to lock it up and spin to avoid hitting Marlar and Owens who spun in front of him. Then the guy gets taken out later in the race. Lanigan was on a rail and made one of the few passes of the night getting around Bloomer late in that heat.

10) Boom Briggs??
    He looks as out to lunch on the LOLMS as he did on the WoO tour. I don't know what's wrong there, but something is definitely amiss. When a full-time touring driver could easily be mistaken for one of the locals because he's back marking with them...just sayin'. To his credit, he was one of the few who passed cars in the feature, 20th to 12th. Francis too....not the same driver as a few years ago.

11) Home Town Hero
    Hats off to Jared Siefert who raced his way into the A-main thru the B, and made his first career Lucas Oil A-main start tonight.

12) Frankie Heckenast..only WoO guy tonight?
    Thought we might see Shirley too but no such luck. No Feger either? Thought Jason might show up after winning the July 4th CBC race at Luxemburg few years back (year of the Illini deal).

13) The Lucas Oil PA announcer, Just the facts...
    He said the LOLMS had never been to Luxemburg prior to tonight. TRUE
    He also said Bloomer had never raced at Luxemburg. WRONG!!!
    He then strolled down memory lane about the Hav-A-Tampa race in Shawano (from like 20 years ago??)
    It was only a couple years ago Bloomer dropped off the Lucas tour mid-year. One of the first tracks he raced at after dropping off was Luxemburg at the CBC race I just alluded too.
    Bloomer came up to WI to do some fishing on Lake Michigan and GOT PAID $10K just for pullin' through the pit gate for the CBC race. That 10K certainly took the sting out of Feger beating him and everyone else like a rented mule.
    C'mon buddy...you're getting paid to know this crap, I'm not!!

And my final thought...

14) Wrong Number Operator??
    You know the difference between the #71 team from IN and the #32 team from IL? One Dad of a second generation driver is SMART enough to know that printing/selling shirts with his son's name on it that say "First name F#cking Last name...Don't Like it Eat S#it and Die" would be a BAD idea, BAD for business, BAD for his son's future and BAD for sponsorship $$.

Apparently nobody associated with the other team gets that, understands that, or cares why their latest t-shirt is a colossal mistake!! While I was wandering souvenir alley, I noticed more than one Mom and Dad with small children who stopped by the #32 souvenir trailer to take a gander only to walk away in disgust.

A) You sell racecars....
    I can safely assume that if I call West by God Virginia, to buy a racecar, they won't answer the phone with, "F#ckin' Rocket, Buy One You POS" I'm pretty confident the same is true of Capital, Club 29, etc. Are you in business to sell racecars and make thousands of $ every time you sell one, or are you in business to sell t-shirts to the lowest common denominator, even by dirt track standards, and make $5?

B) Parents like to buy their kids stuff, especially their young kids...but any self-respecting parent with 1/2 a brain is going to think twice about buying your kid-safe merch when they see the message you are projecting front and center in your souvenir trailer and who your apparent target audience is.

C) Did anyone stop to think how current sponsors would react? Future sponsors? Anyone consider what a certain brand of spark plug whose name is on the car might think??? Why don't you send all of their execs one of the new t-shirts so they can wear them proudly knowing their f3cking name is on the side of your f3cking racecar and that they help pay your f3cking bills, so you can race said f3cking car.

That pretty much sums it up. Congrats again to Babb.

Great post Zonks. Watching that race was like watching paint dry but was unaware of the rain and track woes. Mother nature hasn't been to cooperative this year.
    I despise the rule that enables a guy to stop on the track, bring out a yellow, and go pitside for tires. This rule needs to be changed. It's just wrong.
    Congrats to the Babbster on the win.
    8/13/16

Great post zonk, agreed aswell hustler when i was watching on race monitor seen the caution was out an bloomer was in the back i immediately thought to myself "bloomer didn't like the set he had on" lol cant stand the rule dont care who does it or when, same thing when a guy gets caught off guard or gets a bad start at the first drop of the green an they just get out the gas going down the backstretch an they throw the yellow an do a complete restart. But i see the later way more frequently in winged 410's or 360's.....

Thanks for the insight Zonks. Lots of info for people that couldn't make the trip.

Agree too on the t-shirt deal. Actions of his family and fans cause a lot of hate for the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonks32x View Post
    I made the 2.25 hour trek up to Luxemburg tonight from SE Wisconsin. Here's a few observations from tonight's event.

14) Wrong Number Operator??
    You know the difference between the #71 team from IN and the #32 team from IL? One Dad of a second generation driver is SMART enough to know that printing/selling shirts with his son's name on it that say "First name F#cking Last name...Don't Like it Eat S#it and Die" would be a BAD idea, BAD for business, BAD for his son's future and BAD for sponsorship $$.

Apparently nobody associated with the other team gets that, understands that, or cares why their latest t-shirt is a colossal mistake!! While I was wandering souvenir alley, I noticed more than one Mom and Dad with small children who stopped by the #32 souvenir trailer to take a gander only to walk away in disgust.

A) You sell racecars....
    I can safely assume that if I call West by God Virginia, to buy a racecar, they won't answer the phone with, "F#ckin' Rocket, Buy One You POS" I'm pretty confident the same is true of Capital, Club 29, etc. Are you in business to sell racecars and make thousands of $ every time you sell one, or are you in business to sell t-shirts to the lowest common denominator, even by dirt track standards, and make $5?

B) Parents like to buy their kids stuff, especially their young kids...but any self-respecting parent with 1/2 a brain is going to think twice about buying your kid-safe merch when they see the message you are projecting front and center in your souvenir trailer and who your apparent target audience is.

C) Did anyone stop to think how current sponsors would react? Future sponsors? Anyone consider what a certain brand of spark plug whose name is on the car might think??? Why don't you send all of their execs one of the new t-shirts so they can wear them proudly knowing their f3cking name is on the side of your f3cking racecar and that they help pay your f3cking bills, so you can race said f3cking car.

That pretty much sums it up. Congrats again to Babb.
    Just more proof that the boobee peerse clan are a bunch of no class idiots.

Default Excellent post Zonks

Glad you never completely left man, your posts are well done and very good.

Was definitely a bad points night for Bloomer, sounds like he really stepped on his wiener.

Didn't realize that's what his new shirts are. Can't say I'm surprised. His family and fans are a detriment to him, period.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

I bet his sponsors for his truck ride are just lining up now! I honestly think bobby is the innocent one of that crew, he probably drives so aggressive and over his head sometimes because he doesn't want to go back to that hauler without a W. If u don't like it eat sh!t

Quote Originally Posted by WisWildManFan View Post
    I bet his sponsors for his truck ride are just lining up now! I honestly think bobby is the innocent one of that crew, he probably drives so aggressive and over his head sometimes because he doesn't want to go back to that hauler without a W. If u don't like it eat sh!t
    Someone hit it on the head... if bobby wants to go some were he needs to get in to some ones elses ride...Dads car may be fast, but the rest of it is not helping him at all ...

Bloomer race there in 2015 for 5k show. Same year JD was unstoppable seem like. I guess people that say he only loads for 10k or better, not so true.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwd1253 View Post
    Bloomer race there in 2015 for 5k show. Same year JD was unstoppable seem like. I guess people that say he only loads for 10k or better, not so true.
    Sorry 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Kwd1253 View Post
    It's a very well known fact he'll race for less if you make it worth his while. Lucky 7 (Ky)and I think Sportsman's(Pa), are two I know of, where they paid him to show up. I don't blame him or anyone else one bit, if you can get free pit passes, or cash, or whatever, to show up somewhere, more power to anyone who can. I would never pay anyone extra as a fan. As a business owner, if there was proof, and the ones who have done it said it did work, I guess so. I just have a hard time giving anyone special treatment.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonks32x View Post
    I made the 2.25 hour trek up to Luxemburg tonight from SE Wisconsin. Here's a few observations from tonight's event.1) As many of you know, the Midwest has been hammered with rain over the last couple days and weeks. That said, I wasn't the least bit surprised to see the grader and pack trucks still on the track at 7:05p.m. when I arrived. What was surprising was how much clay/top surface they took off in order to get this race in tonight. There were piles of wet clay pushed to the infield around the entire track, except the front stretch. In some spots, the clay was 3 foot high. (More on that later). 2) Hot laps started at 7:30pm instead of 6:30. No biggie, gave us time to walk the souvenir alley. I applaud the tracks efforts to do what needed to be done to give the racers a smooth race surface and not a rutted mess. It was tacky early on.3) Hats off to Luxemburg because they kept the show moving. They ran LM time trials 28 cars (2 at a time), 3 LM heats, 3 mod heats, 2 B-mod heats, Lucas B-main, 2 IMCA stock car heats, and the 50 lap LM feature in 2.5 hours. LM feature finished right around 10p.m. Waited for Babb's interview and then we decided to leave. In the truck by 10:15. (Skipped the mod features and stock car feature...kid has to work at 7am)4) Speaking of Time TrialsThe Dirt Track Dominator got dominated on his second qualifying lap. He dipped the nose too low and hooked it on the pile of clay in the middle of 3 and 4. Can't say I didn't expect someone to do it, just not Bloomer.5) Bloomer brain fart part TWOEarly in the feature, (Bloomer started 6th), he just flat out got out of the groove again in 3 and 4. Parked it on the top of the track as the field passed him and waited for the caution. It was driver error plain and simple. Even the best have an off night and tonight was his. Cost him a trip to the caboose of the train. Finished last car on the lead lap. Two to three more laps and Babb would have put him a lap down.6) Babb was fast all nightHe was fast in hot laps, he set fast time, won his heat, and took advantage of starting on the pole on a track that locked down. I blame Mother Nature. In order to race, they had to take a lot of material off the top and because the ground is so saturated. They couldn't water because if they did, it would have taken hours for the show to resume. Regardless...it was the same for all 28 drivers and Babb was the best tonight. Congratulations.7) It was 41 degrees!!Another reason the track didn't dry out today after Thursday's heavy rains. It was cloudy and cold all day across the entire state. I dislike a train race as much as the next person, but I don't see what the track could have done any different. After a long cold winter w/out racing, I'm not going to complain. I got to see some of the best in the biz, all be it on a track that locked down. The track crew got the place ready to race and they kept the show moving on a night that resembled late October bow hunting weather instead of what we usually have in late May. It was 85 degrees on Tuesday!?!?!8) Tip of the cap to the ModifiedsThey ran 3 heats, first two caution free, and 3rd one was heading that way until lap 7 when a car spun out...again in 3 and 4. B-mods too, raced clean and hard and no caution fest. Thumbs up boys!!9) Better than LM Heat 3...Poor Brett Swedeberg. He looped it on the first lap, then on two successive re-starts he had to lock it up and spin to avoid hitting Marlar and Owens who spun in front of him. Then the guy gets taken out later in the race. Lanigan was on a rail and made one of the few passes of the night getting around Bloomer late in that heat.10) Boom Briggs??He looks as out to lunch on the LOLMS as he did on the WoO tour. I don't know what's wrong there, but something is definitely amiss. When a full-time touring driver could easily be mistaken for one of the locals because he's back marking with them...just sayin'. To his credit, he was one of the few who passed cars in the feature, 20th to 12th. Francis too....not the same driver as a few years ago.11) Home Town HeroHats off to Jared Siefert who raced his way into the A-main thru the B, and made his first career Lucas Oil A-main start tonight. 12) Frankie Heckenast..only WoO guy tonight?Thought we might see Shirley too but no such luck. No Feger either? Thought Jason might show up after winning the July 4th CBC race at Luxemburg few years back (year of the Illini deal).13) The Lucas Oil PA announcer, Just the facts...He said the LOLMS had never been to Luxemburg prior to tonight. TRUEHe also said Bloomer had never raced at Luxemburg. WRONG!!! He then strolled down memory lane about the Hav-A-Tampa race in Shawano (from like 20 years ago??) It was only a couple years ago Bloomer dropped off the Lucas tour mid-year. One of the first tracks he raced at after dropping off was Luxemburg at the CBC race I just alluded too. Bloomer came up to WI to do some fishing on Lake Michigan and GOT PAID $10K just for pullin' through the pit gate for the CBC race. That 10K certainly took the sting out of Feger beating him and everyone else like a rented mule.C'mon buddy...you're getting paid to know this crap, I'm not!! And my final thought...14) Wrong Number Operator??You know the difference between the #71 team from IN and the #32 team from IL? One Dad of a second generation driver is SMART enough to know that printing/selling shirts with his son's name on it that say "First name F#cking Last name...Don't Like it Eat S#it and Die" would be a BAD idea, BAD for business, BAD for his son's future and BAD for sponsorship $$. Apparently nobody associated with the other team gets that, understands that, or cares why their latest t-shirt is a colossal mistake!! While I was wandering souvenir alley, I noticed more than one Mom and Dad with small children who stopped by the #32 souvenir trailer to take a gander only to walk away in disgust.A) You sell racecars....I can safely assume that if I call West by God Virginia, to buy a racecar, they won't answer the phone with, "F#ckin' Rocket, Buy One You POS" I'm pretty confident the same is true of Capital, Club 29, etc. Are you in business to sell racecars and make thousands of $ every time you sell one, or are you in business to sell t-shirts to the lowest common denominator, even by dirt track standards, and make $5?B) Parents like to buy their kids stuff, especially their young kids...but any self-respecting parent with 1/2 a brain is going to think twice about buying your kid-safe merch when they see the message you are projecting front and center in your souvenir trailer and who your apparent target audience is. C) Did anyone stop to think how current sponsors would react? Future sponsors? Anyone consider what a certain brand of spark plug whose name is on the car might think??? Why don't you send all of their execs one of the new t-shirts so they can wear them proudly knowing their f3cking name is on the side of your f3cking racecar and that they help pay your f3cking bills, so you can race said f3cking car.That pretty much sums it up. Congrats again to Babb.
    Great Post. Glad others sees it the same. When someone like Bobby Pierce is at the top of his sport he has a responsibility to the fans, young people and sponsors to act and present himself in a professional manner not like trash. No corprate sponsor will ever have anything to do with him now. It is ashame with his talent that something like this will tarnish him with sponsors and fans. But the fact is it's done. Not sure whether it was his idea or someone else's but it was a bad one. Another small chassis builders son from WV is driving a car with a stick man on top of an "it" which clearly means F-it. The tracks and series needs to step up and stop this vulgar signage and advertising.

Cant say I disagree with anything said on this thread...I think Bobby takes a lot of unfair criticism..and if the crew wanted to wear em to make a statement ok...but imo the way to respond to the trash talkers is to go out and win races...If they got these shirts hanging at their apparel trailer, it makes them look bad...
    Last edited by Illtsate32; 05-20-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    Great post Zonks. Watching that race was like watching paint dry but was unaware of the rain and track woes. Mother nature hasn't been to cooperative this year.
    I despise the rule that enables a guy to stop on the track, bring out a yellow, and go pitside for tires. This rule needs to be changed. It's just wrong.
    Congrats to the Babbster on the win.
    Something folks didn't see at three o'clock in the afternoon ,the water truck out on the track literally trying to drown it with mass quantities of water. Self inflicted damage call by Lucas that backfired and Mother Nature got the blame.

May be the dumbest t shirt I've ever saw. It's not even catchy or clever besides the vulgarity

Bobby pierce has a souvenir trailer?
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

The shirt may be a brilliant move by dad to keep a talented driver "stuck" in his late model.

Nice to see my old friend Joe Verdegan in the announcing booth helping out last night. Joe worked for me as a promising 15 year old at 141 Speedway in the 80's...

The folks at Luxemburg take racing seriously... we pumped 500,000 gallons of water off the track for an IMCA National Series race years ago... only ran an hour late. Good to see they continued the never say die attitude!

New promoter Eric Mahlik has been a God send helping to keep the track open last year after the county (again) proved to be SOB's to deal with in contract negotiations.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by sceneplenty2no View Post
    Something folks didn't see at three o'clock in the afternoon ,the water truck out on the track literally trying to drown it with mass quantities of water. Self inflicted damage call by Lucas that backfired and Mother Nature got the blame.
    Why were you at the track at 3 pm for a race that wasn't even scheduled to hotlap until 6:30?

Quote Originally Posted by NormP View Post
    Why were you at the track at 3 pm for a race that wasn't even scheduled to hotlap until 6:30?
    That's not allowed? Alot of people are there 2-3 hrs early