Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Im pretty sure their is 4 races that count towards track championship. Opening night, appleseed, baltes classic and ump nationals.

Fortunately for those wanting additional classes at races like the Dream and the World they do have other races throughout the year with additional classes. But they haven't done support divisions since at least 1991, probably even further back.

I believe the LM's are scored for points for every even the Thursday and Friday's before the Dream and World. Eldora pays all there classes 2k to win the Track Championships. Its sad I pretty much grew up going to Eldora. I went to the Friday portion of the WoO Sprints and USAC show this year. The racing sucked accept the USAC feature. My point is... I have no want to go back there now. Im not going to the Appleseed this weekend. I cant remember the last time I haven't listened to the Indy 500 while sitting in the camping lot at Eldora Speedway. Im still up in the air about the Dream aswell. The place has changed and Slack don't care about anything other then fireworks big names and NASCAR being there.

I know I was there the Saturday following for the USAC and WOO sprint show. The racing was lackluster at best!. I will go to all 3 nights of the dream an world. But that probably it. I'll be going to Waynesfield and Oakshade when possible. Both of those tracks have great weekly shows. Sad part is I live 40 minutes from Eldora. What a waste of a great facility. The one good thing Tony or Roger hasn't done yet and thank God, they haven't destroyed the prestige of the world or dream by having it sanctioned by Lucas Oil or the WOO.

The big races do count to the end of the year point championship.

Yes, they get track points at Eldora for the Dream and World.

I wonder what the big scandal will be this year? We've already done the scales, tires, what's next? I think the window-net thing was at the World, but same difference. Always something at the Big E. Let's just hope it isn't weather.....

Also if you look on dirt on dirt.com they say that Eldora has changed the safety rules yet again this time allowing the protective steel to be bolted on or welded or clamped on. Also with all these changes some drivers have said they will not go to the World 100 or Dream and other tracks are now running 10,000 to win races against it. Pretty sad as last year they finally got the cars back and were doing good. Now this.

Quote Originally Posted by latemodelman View Post
    Also if you look on dirt on dirt.com they say that Eldora has changed the safety rules yet again this time allowing the protective steel to be bolted on or welded or clamped on. Also with all these changes some drivers have said they will not go to the World 100 or Dream and other tracks are now running 10,000 to win races against it. Pretty sad as last year they finally got the cars back and were doing good. Now this.
    Furthermore, it is sad that drivers are being such resistant to safety improvements (not just the steel plates), especially after witnessing a death at the World last year.

With the door plates being able to be bolted in will stop some of the crying.
    T3G-Never Forget Always Remember

Some guys have already welded the plates on since that's what the RULE was in the beginning. They never allowed you to bolt or clamp in the beginning. I guess I'm not sure what these plates are supposed to protect you from anyways? I'm all for safety but these just seems a little ridiculous... And god rest Shane Ungers soul but even if he had these plates on the drivers side door and a full containment seat it wouldn't have changed the outcome.

I'm guessing it has something to do with keeping the door bars from crushing in? I've seen a few guys, not LM have the door bars get crushed in and they can't get out of the car because their legs are pinned. I know one they had to cut the side of the car open to get the guy out.
    Last edited by MI Dirt Fan; 05-23-2017 at 09:21 AM.

I don't think the steel will reinforce the door bars so much as they will keep foreign debris from ripping through the sheet metal and getting into the c0ckpit.

Welding on the door bars probably isn't the smartest/safest way to do it either. If they want a door bar there bolting one seems alittle more logical to me.

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    Furthermore, it is sad that drivers are being such resistant to safety improvements (not just the steel plates), especially after witnessing a death at the World last year.
    One tragedy doesn't mean things are unsafe. Everything we do has risk. Knee jerks are not necessary. The steel plate deal was a mismanaged fiasco.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by ThebigE View Post
    Some guys have already welded the plates on since that's what the RULE was in the beginning. They never allowed you to bolt or clamp in the beginning. I guess I'm not sure what these plates are supposed to protect you from anyways? I'm all for safety but these just seems a little ridiculous... And god rest Shane Ungers soul but even if he had these plates on the drivers side door and a full containment seat it wouldn't have changed the outcome.
    How do you know this? I have yet to see an explanation of what happened.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Yes, welding on a brand new XR1 chassis makes a person cringe. How do I know what happened to Unger last year at the world? if so, Shane was a big guy, very similar body and build of Brian Ruhlman, Shane didn't have a left side head support nor was he wearing a HANS device and he suffered a broken neck when his car smacked the wall on the drivers side.
    Last edited by ThebigE; 05-23-2017 at 12:21 PM.

I believe Shane was wearing a HANS device. Don't post rumors. It was a terrible accident with a horrific outcome. A racer lost his life. Don't blame his size or say his safety equipment wasn't up to par.

I don't believe he was wearing a neck restraint.

1. Ok sorry, he was wearing a HANS device, unfortunately it wasn't attached. That's a FACT! I never blamed his size or his equipment being up to par. I just stated the truth about his size and seat not having left side head support. And the reason for that is, the same reason other bigger drivers don't have that on their seat is for the fact they have a real hard time getting out of the car in case of a fire. FACT. That's not being dis-respectful it's just flat out the truth. Everything I stated is FACTS. Not one rumor! Were you there on the track during this tragic event? Did you go to School with Shane? If so, maybe you knew Doughboy better than me.
    Last edited by ThebigE; 05-23-2017 at 02:28 PM.