Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Eldora Intrusion Plate

Was there a specific incident that brought about this rule?

Does someone have to get impaled and bleed to death first ?

Should be standard on all race cars. An easy safety measure to protect the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by hucktyson View Post
    This sport is reactionary. Were it not, the rule would have been known in December and it would have been implemented correctly. The question above is quite valid. I mean there is a 0.05% chance of an injury without it.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

First they make all the Eldora regulars weld them on to their $20-$30k chassis. But then when the big boys come to town it's not mandated to be welded anymore. Bolt on or clamped is now sufficient enough. Slack is an ass and I wish he'd find a new home.

For making a car safer?! Really

Just like the unified council they did not do their due diligence in investigating. There are some cars out there I've seen with a 1/8" Alum. plate bolted with 4 bolts which is sufficient but because the powers that be are smarter than everyone else that's not legal.

Quote Originally Posted by manwplan View Post
    Just like the unified council they did not do their due diligence in investigating. There are some cars out there I've seen with a 1/8" Alum. plate bolted with 4 bolts which is sufficient but because the powers that be are smarter than everyone else that's not legal.
    The only people with voices in these decisions are those who have stuff to sell and the most well funded teams.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Quote Originally Posted by ThebigE View Post
    First they make all the Eldora regulars weld them on to their $20-$30k chassis. But then when the big boys come to town it's not mandated to be welded anymore. Bolt on or clamped is now sufficient enough. Slack is an ass and I wish he'd find a new home.
    How do you think a chassis is built? With welds....so what difference does it make? I don't disagree with you about making the rule then changing it, but I don't see the big deal about welding the plates on the car. If they want a show car go buy a corvette. This is dirt track racing.

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    How do you think a chassis is built? With welds....so what difference does it make? I don't disagree with you about making the rule then changing it, but I don't see the big deal about welding the plates on the car. If they want a show car go buy a corvette. This is dirt track racing.
    No one would've had a problem bolting plates to car, if that was the rule from the get go. It's not about guys not wanting to be safe, which is what everyone seems to think that's what it is. If you was, let's say Chris Madden and you just run the world and dream and you have to fully weld plates to your brand new longhorn, just for those races, would you want to do that? I know I wouldn't.

It could change the way the car handles too.
    Last edited by zyoung25; 05-24-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hucktyson View Post
    It was a freaking question. I'm sure you have the plate, proper fuel cell, containment seat and fire system in your car. Do you wear safety glasses and hearing protection when building decks?

Jim Dunn was burned how many years ago and just this last year a rule change was made for fire but they weren't immediately mandatory. This was the first I had heard of the intrusion plate and I just was wondering what the reasoning was behind the rule. Seems flawed as the right side f the driver is unprotected. I know the use of carbon fiber drive shafts has risen but many still run the aluminum or steel shafts.
    Last edited by davis2902; 05-24-2017 at 09:22 AM.

Anyone have a picture of these, before install and what it looks like on the car?

Quote Originally Posted by ptown View Post
    Anyone have a picture of these, before install and what it looks like on the car?
    It's on eldoras site under the rules. There are a few pics on there that explain what's good and what isn't .

http://www.eldoraspeedway.com/wp-con...r.-5.23.17.pdf

At the bottom. Again, I don't understand why this is such a fuss. Why would somebody not want to weld in the plates? Those plates welded on the Tony Stewart car example is not going to effect handling "THAT" much, there is not a ton of weight added there. Suck it up, weld it in there, and move on with your life.

How could it change the way a car handles?🤔

I guess I just assumed they all had them on when they were built.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    How could it change the way a car handles?樂

I guess I just assumed they all had them on when they were built.
    Any time you add sprung weight to one particular area (even though it isn't much) it change things, but nothing that couldn't be made up for by another adjustment elsewhere on the car. Those weld in plates are adding probably half (or less) than the weight of that big bolt on piece. With the bolt on piece, you still have to weld the tabs on there to bolt the piece onto, so kind of defeats the purpose of whining.

I suppose you could always mess with the bolt on clamps but that looks like a pain in the sack.
    Last edited by zach51; 05-24-2017 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    The only people with voices in these decisions are those who have stuff to sell and the most well funded teams.
    Pretty soon they will make a rule..No fabricating allowed all parts must be bought lol

It's not about the weight that guy are worried about.

It's the welding. The one guy commented that all the cars were welded when they were built. Yes, of course they were, but they were welded in a jig. Welding on your car without it being on a jig CAN definitely change the car.

The big deal is that they forced their regular guys to weld on their cars, but succumbed to the big guys when they refused.

Before I get lambasted, the only car that I am associated with had plates welded on while it was in the jig being built.

Welding 4 plates onto the door bars is not going to tweak the chassis.

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    Welding 4 plates onto the door bars is not going to tweak the chassis.
    That's what I thought. Definitely not buying what he's saying
    Last edited by MI Dirt Fan; 05-24-2017 at 12:45 PM.