Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: J. Davenport

It doesn't take 8-900 hp to win one of these races on a slick track! Its the car design/set-up!

Barry Seal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdirt View Post
    It's an RY45 built by Hatfield. I'm my opinion..... Hatfield is the biggest piece of sh!t motor to have in the dirt late model world(they alright in the modifieds). I have no idea why they went with Hatfield other than they got a deal on it. I'm surprised it's lasted this long.
    You cannot blame their poor results on Hatfield. Unless they had motor dnfs, which they haven't. Hatfield has been around long enough to build a reliable motor. Their resume speaks for itself.

Quote Originally Posted by george w View Post
    i was referring to making it into the show on points accumulating from the first two nights in wheatland like everyone else, hence the reason it was mentioned first. I'm fully aware of jd's schedule, an reasoning why it is the way it is.....
    JD will get a provisional because he will be the latest winner of the Show Me that does not make it into the starting field

Quote Originally Posted by NY DIRT View Post
    JD will get a provisional because he will be the latest winner of the Show Me that does not make it into the starting field
    Yep. I was just looking at that because I couldn't understand why he would drive all the way to MO knowing the car just isn't competitive when he could have lost closer to home. Since Owens would get a Lucas provisional (which kicks in before the past champ provisional) he had a guaranteed spot.

That means since only Hudson O'Neal and Boom Briggs didn't make the field out of the Lucas regulars, no one will need the emergency provisional so the field will be a max of 30 cars. In addition to the 18 that made the field by points, JD (past champ), Hudson O'Neal and Briggs (guaranteed in Lucas provisionals), as well as Stovall and Jackson (guaranteed in MLRA provisionals) are all in. That leaves a max of 7 spots open. Six that will race in through the B-Mains and possibly one spot if the guy (or Blonde Bomber Mitchell) that wins the Non-qualifiers race decides to run the feature.
    Last edited by Snake X3; 05-27-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Seal View Post
    You cannot blame their poor results on Hatfield. Unless they had motor dnfs, which they haven't. Hatfield has been around long enough to build a reliable motor. Their resume speaks for itself.
    I wasn't blaming there results totally on the motor. I thought it was a particularly odd combo when it was announced. NOBODY runs a Hatfield...... that speaks for itself.

Barry Seal Guest

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdirt View Post
    I wasn't blaming there results totally on the motor. I thought it was a particularly odd combo when it was announced. NOBODY runs a Hatfield...... that speaks for itself.
    It's all good husker. Hatfield has done well in the modifieds. Jd has had no dnfs. By the way I like your assessment on pierce.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Seal View Post
    It's all good husker. Hatfield has done well in the modifieds. Jd has had no dnfs. By the way I like your assessment on pierce.
    There is more to an engine than finishing a race.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Watching him time trial has been telling. Car doesn't have drive off the corners like some others. Just in general he has reminded me of a mid pack regional guy rather than someone that has seen success on a national level. And the first two nights the track required some horsepower to be competitive, but my opinion their issues seem to be about more than a particular engine brand. Something is just out of sync, maybe several things.

Quote Originally Posted by 25jrjr View Post
    It doesn't take 8-900 hp to win one of these races on a slick track! Its the car design/set-up!
    You gotta have good usable HP at national events to qualify good, otherwise your dig a hole and spend all night trying to dig out. I think if it was setup they would've corrected that by now. He did have a good qualify last week at Fayetteville but contact with another car sent him pit side early. Barry knows how to set up a car, as does JD.

Quote Originally Posted by MaverickSprints View Post
    You gotta have good usable HP at national events to qualify good, otherwise your dig a hole and spend all night trying to dig out. I think if it was setup they would've corrected that by now. He did have a good qualify last week at Fayetteville but contact with another car sent him pit side early. Barry knows how to set up a car, as does JD.
    True to a point......but jd doesn't advance much in the features. Something is definitely off. I wonder at Barrys age, how much money he is willing to invest in engineering and testing!

Lightbulb

...I wonder at Barrys age, how much money he is willing to invest in engineering and testing!
    At Barry's age? His son is primed to take over and he is just as sharp as Barry. The Icon is the start of a new phase, a new direction, not a tweak of the old. The Longhorn was junk when it debuted and finally required a reboot to fulfill its potential from what they learned in the process but look at them now. I think younger people think new stuff should work immediately or you abandon it. Nothing good comes easy, never has, but Barry isn't too proud to access outside help when needed. They used a Nascar engineer back in 08'/09' for that frontend redesign, so. When you only have the one car to get your data from it takes longer to see results and the sponsor they had lined up backed out just before the season started too.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    There is more to an engine than finishing a race.
    The Platitude Master has spoken!!!!

True to a point......but jd doesn't advance much in the features. Something is definitely off. I wonder at Barrys age, how much money he is willing to invest in engineering and testing!
    You make a very good point. It's all about the engineering these days

Hatfield is based out of Joplin, so this is a "hometown" race for them. I am sure the Show Me was a must attend race in any form of motor sponsorship from Hatfield. What is the problem with Hatfield anyway? I can't imagine they are that far off from the other big time builders.

If Hatfield was as good as other choices out there, you would see more of them????

Hatfield is not the problem. He doesn't have the car and Rumley to make it run. JD is a fine driver, but KR made him look like the next coming of Bloomquist. And BW is a fine car builder, but hes not in the same league in todays time. Just look at BShep this year. He unloads just about every where like JD did last year.

Quote Originally Posted by No_Weak_Links View Post
    Hatfield is not the problem. He doesn't have the car and Rumley to make it run. JD is a fine driver, but KR made him look like the next coming of Bloomquist. And BW is a fine car builder, but hes not in the same league in todays time. Just look at BShep this year. He unloads just about every where like JD did last year.
    Welcome back

Any idea why the didn't go with Clements like they have in the past?

I would bet they are asking themselves the same question.

$$$ I would imagine.