Thread: Shaky steering

Default Shaky steering

Just got the car out for the year. In the pits if you steer slowly back and forth everything is normal, if you go to lock the back the other way the steering wheel and front tires chatter or shake as you turn, if you quickly jerk the wheel left then right it does the same on the counter steer. On the track the car is darty, and jerks right of you dump the gas, much harder than any car I have ever drove. I am suspecting the servo is having issues, anybody else have similar experiences or advice?

Checked and rechecked caster, toe, turned up LR compression for the right turn issue, still there.

Quote Originally Posted by zeroracing View Post
    Just got the car out for the year. In the pits if you steer slowly back and forth everything is normal, if you go to lock the back the other way the steering wheel and front tires chatter or shake as you turn, if you quickly jerk the wheel left then right it does the same on the counter steer. On the track the car is darty, and jerks right of you dump the gas, much harder than any car I have ever drove. I am suspecting the servo is having issues, anybody else have similar experiences or advice?

Checked and rechecked caster, toe, turned up LR compression for the right turn issue, still there.
    It is definitely your servo. I have seen it a few times.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I'll order a new one, currently have a .220, any recommendation on what size guys tend to like better? I've debated a lighter steering but concerned will loose any feedback, feel disconnected?

I would stick with that.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

Finally got car back out racing with the new servo. Same problem as before. Jerking to one side or the other and darty on track is making the car undriveable. I've checked and rechecked toe, caster, camber also sent spindles to builder and had them checked on his jig. Car is off the jig,

I'm starting to think I've damaged the rack itself and have not found that or figured that out yet, or power steering pump, lines, tank issue? Maybe the ram on the front of the rack is damaged... I've also checked rear end for square and shocks are recently rebuilt.

Starting to lose faith in myself driving with this erratic steering.

Any other suggestions to try or look at?

had this problem and it was the power assist ram on the front o ring goes bad and fluid gets from one side to other and makes it jerky, seen guys total car cause it makes a sudden right, right in to the wall.