Default anyone building there own ls for open competion

Anyone building there own ls motors either steel block 6.0 or aluminum 6.2 for open late model no one allows anything but 525 in limited class for ls from what i can find but $10k for a motor that can be built for $4k just seems out of line. I feel like a ls could be build pretty cheap to run good with limited not so much with local supers. Anyone got some combos they would share theres not many all motor builds out there to get a idea on hp and torque curve.
    Last edited by badnblack55; 06-02-2017 at 08:55 PM.

Read your post????

good drag race motors
    not so good roundy round.
    oil system is not so good stock
    need to have an external oil pump.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Just finished one here. 6.0 truck block. Carbed with distributor.
    Attached Images Attached Images

picture wont work but is it running with supers?justadddirt what is the hold up with stock pump? Over oiling cause it runs off crank?Only issues ive herd of with the 525s are snapping rods not sure if thats rpm issure or something else tho

Donnie at Lightning Chassis could tell you all about them.
    606 878 7223
    I know a guy that has spent a lot of money on one and it blows up regularly. Professional engine builder and all.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

helped a drag guy with one a while back that is flying, we put a 419 rotating assembly in it and did very little to the heads. for no more money involved, it surprised me.

I know it's not unlimited but I have a 5.3 in my street stock. Had 200k on it. Honed the cyl. New standard bore race tech pistons. Balanced the rotating assembly and a mild Howard's carb cam and it rips! I have less than 3k into the engine and it runs with the big $ engines. I had 15 nights on it last season. And tore it down this winter. Everything looked great except the oil pump. It had some excess wear. I replaced it with a melling standard pump. And so far Everything is great. I have the rev limit at 7200 and have only hit it once.
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

We ran them for about 3 years, the steel 6.0L truck block, although heavy, is a stout piece. Keep stroke 4" or less & Bore at 4.07 or less, run a good full length pan and a std volume oil pump.. We had issues with a couple of the LS3 aluminum blocks, I just don't think they are strong enough to take the twisting in an oval track application. A 416 (4" stroke x 4.065 bore) with 14-1 compression, LS3 Factory CNC heads & Comp Cams hydraulic roller cam with stock rockers & lifters, will make in the low 700 HP Range. We turned them 75-7600 RPM max with good results. Currently in the process of building a new 427 with a world products block and LS7 heads that should make close to 800 HP.

They are great if you can get a World Products block. Allows use of distributor, standard crank, and rods. Oil and cooling system is great. Only problem has been head sealing with the 4 bolt pattern, but the Cometic MLX head gasket has apparently fixed that problem. The aluminum GM head works great also right out of the box.

I've wanted to doan LS my Super Street, but hang up is the iron head rule.
    only 1 iron head that I know of, and i understand it isnt very good

They are good engines and work fine.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?