Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Grilling/Favorite Meal when Camping?

Looking to try something different than burgers and brats for the Dream this year. Anyone have a favorite non-typical campground meal?

given your user name, i'll be back with a couple of recipe links tomorrow!
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

Without doubt, Hobo Dinner! It's the different you're looking for. It's super easy to do, and takes very little prep, and even less clean up. Delisious and nutritious!

Highly recommend!

Jack and Coke grilled rib eyes.......marinate your ribeye steak for a couple hours in Coke, about ten minutes prior to grilling add a small jigger ful of Jack in the marinade ( not too much) , then take steaks out and pat dry , rub them with olive oil and a little salt and pepper and grill to medium rare.

Serve with lemon pepper grilled asparagus and baked potato .......all can be cooked on your Weber if you have it set up correctly with the coals .

The Coke breaks the meat down a little and tenderizes it , and really doesn't add any real distinct flavor to the meat like you would think......it does more tenderizing than anything but enhances the grill marks because of the residual sugar.

You don't really have to add the Jack either, it's just cool to say that you are serving your guests Jack and Coke charcoal grilled rib eyes.....and it's easy as all hell.

The asparagu is olive oil, fresh lemons, and lemon pepper seasoning then asparagus straight on the grill across the grates over the hot spot a couple minutes.....the bake potatoes go on indirect heat until done and then tossed into a small round gott cooler to stay hot while the steaks are cooking.

If potatoes aren't your thing, a good mac and cheese recipe cooked on indirect heat grill is awesome at the track.......also easy with a little pre planning before you leave the house.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

I got a buddy that grills bologna. Get a loaf and cut it about a quarter of the way down "long-wayz". Put vinegar in the cut and marinate in hot sauce. Cut into thick slices and grill it up! Bbq sauce or not. Lol let the Alabama jokes roll! Really, it is tasty on white bread and surely different

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Thomason View Post
    I got a buddy that grills bologna. Get a loaf and cut it about a quarter of the way down "long-wayz". Put vinegar in the cut and marinate in hot sauce. Cut into thick slices and grill it up! Bbq sauce or not. Lol let the Alabama jokes roll! Really, it is tasty on white bread and surely different
    Sounds fantastic.....id like mine with grilled onions, mustard and sharp cheddar please.

ive grilled , fried and cooked Bologna a lot of ways but never thought of marinating in the vinegar and hot sauce.......

Polish sausage, fried potatoes, and ramps.

Thin sliced pork chops and baked potatoes is something that cooks pretty quick. We also do hot wings on occasion. I will do a BBQ Bologna too because its always a hit. I cut mine up in like 1" square blocks, dip them in BBQ sauce then sprinkle them real heavy with A1 Dried BBQ Rub. I soak it in an aluminum pan with a thick layer of BBQ sauce. Cover it with tin foil and grill it up. When its ready, it will have a crusty glaze to it from the rub and plenty of warm BBQ in the pan to dip it in. It normally takes a good hour or more on the grill because you can pour the heat to it because it will scorch the BBQ rub. But if you have a little time, it will be well worth it.

Walking tacos

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Thomason View Post
    Alabama Steak Sandwich.....

Sounds pretty good actually. BBQ what time is that bourbon fueled delicacy going to be ready? Got hungry just reading that.

Pork chops marinated in low sodium Dale's with a sprinkle of pepper and garlic salt is super easy, cheap, and when you throw in fresh grilled corn on the cop and a baked tater, it hits the spot.
    Last edited by B_K; 06-02-2017 at 07:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by B_K View Post
    Alabama Steak Sandwich.....

Sounds pretty good actually. BBQ what time is that bourbon fueled delicacy going to be ready? Got hungry just reading that.

Pork chops marinated in low sodium Dale's with a sprinkle of pepper and garlic salt is super easy, cheap, and when you throw in fresh grilled corn on the cop and a baked tater, it hits the spot.
    Try it at the house BK.......it is easy and good.

I got the Coke marinade from a cookbook I bought at the Coca Cola headquarters in Atlanta years ago........the Jack was my idea,lol.

It's pretty cool and everybody loves it.....food tells a story, and if you tell it right it just enhances the experience.

Example......Mac and cheese or grandmas hickory smoked three cheese Mac.

Both can be the same dish, one just looks more appealing on a menu and conjures up good memories of good times and good food......we make a cherry bourbon BBQ sauce that has very little cherry bourbon in it, but enough to give it the flavor I want and it has a bunch of fans when we serve it with the brisket.

Might try it Sunday night if the weather isn't awful. We usually do filets or strip (wife likes the less fat). Did a dry rub bacon wrapped filet over the weekend that was probably the best steak I've cooked myself. Really like doing pizza on the egg too.

Totally off subject here. What style of BBQ do you prefer? When traveling I always try to hit different BBQ places, and the differences by region is pretty pronounced.

Iowa Chops
    Thick cut pork chops seasoned with lawrys and black pepper.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/hot_d..._brat_tub.html
    Touchdown Brat Tub Recipe
    Makes. 6 sandwiches
    Takes. 1 hour
    Ingredients
    6 brats
    6 nice buns (try for something better than pasty hot dog buns)
    2 (12 ounce) bottles of regular cheap American lager beer, like Old Milwaukee, nothing fancy
    1 (12 ounce) bottle high quality German lager
    2 medium onions, sliced in half rings
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup Kansas City style barbecue sauce
    1/4 cup Dijon-style mustard
    1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
    About the buns. In Wisconsin they sell "sausage rolls" or "sausage buns" which are thicker, firmer, and have a more substantial crust than a hot dog bun. They make a diff.
    About the ketchup. You can substitute Kansas City style barbecue sauce for the ketchup.
    About the hot sauce. I usually use Tabasco Chipotle flavored sauce. Add more if you wish.
    Optional. Add 1/4 teaspoon of liquid smoke.
    Method
    1) Set up the grill for 2-zone cooking. Open the high quality beer and drink it while you are cooking. This is the way it is done in Wisconsin. You cannot cook unless you are drinking.
    2) Use a pan (you can use a disposable aluminum pan) for the brat tub. Dump in the cheap American lager and bring it to a simmer on the grill or side burner. Most brats come curved. Bend and flex them so they are close to straight. They are easier to turn on the grill and they fit the buns better when they are straight, allowing more room for the sauce. Add the brats to the beer and simmer for about 15 minutes to absorb flavor. Roll the brats around if they are not covered in beer and simmer 15 minutes per side.
    3) Remove the brats and grill them over high heat just enough to get some brown onto the skin. Just a minute or three on each side. I like to lay them between the grates so they are easier to turn. Yes, I know the grill marks are going the wrong way, but this way I don't incinerate one side.
    4) While the brats are grilling, dump in the butter, hot sauce, ketchup, mustard, onions, in the pan with the beer. Stir. Put the hot tub on the hot side of the grill or if you have a fancy side burner you can use that. If you wish, you can even make the sauce indoors. Cook it down to a gloppy sauce. This will take 20 to 30 minutes. If the brats finish before the sauce, and they will, just hold them aside. They should read at least 160°F in the center on a good digital thermometer.
    5) Lower the heat on a gas grill or place the brat tub with sauce on the indirect side of a charcoal grill. Slip the brats into the tub and coat with sauce.
    6) Open the buns and place them cut side down on the indirect side of the grill to warm and toast slightly. Go ahead, butter them first if you like. I like. When the buns are on, do not walk away. They can go from toasted to black in a minute. If a corner does burn, you can scrape it off easily.
    7) Serve the brats on the buns with the onions and the sauce. Not too much sauce, you want to taste the brats. Serve World's Easiest Potato Salad or German Potato Salad on the side. Serve warm sauerkraut with caraway seeds on the side too. Or heap them on top of the brat. And don't forget the beer. Put extra brats back in the sauce on a warm, but not the hot part of the grill.

Three words: Beer Cheese dip!
    George Gates of Memphis wrote me to suggest that a fourth Wisconsin food group can be incorporated in this recipe: "Yes, it's almost two in the morning, we've been drinking, and, as in all great discoveries, necessity is a mother! Take the leftovers from the Wisconsin Brat Tub, heat them up, and mix in about two cups (not exact measurments) of grated sharp cheddar cheese. Instant beer cheese dip! Ritz and Saltines worked well, as did some rosemary soda crackers."

http://www.spendwithpennies.com/gril...apeno-poppers/

Grilled Jalapeno Poppers
    Prep Time 10 minutes
    Cook Time 10 minutes
    Total Time 20 minutes
    Servings 12 Jalapeno Poppers
    Ingredients
    Follow Spend With Pennies on Pinterest for more great recipes!
    • 6 whole jalapeno peppers
    • 6 oz cream cheese (the block, not the spreadable)
    • 1 green onion finely minced
    • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1.5 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    • 12 slices bacon
    Instructions
    1.Cut the stem off each jalapeno and cut in half lengthwise. Using a small spoon, scrape out seeds & membranes.
    2.In a small bowl combine cream cheese, green onion, garlic powder and cheddar cheese. Divide into 12 equal pieces and stuff into the jalapeno halves.
    3.Wrap each jalapeno completely with bacon ensuring the cheese is covered. Secure with toothpicks.
    4.Place jalapenos on grill cut side down and grill just until bacon begins to crisp (about 6 minutes). Gently loosen bacon from the grill and flip jalapenos over. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook an additional 10-12 minutes or until bacon is cooked and cheese is melted.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/blog/gri...en-quesadillas
    Tortillas
    Cheese
    Chicken
    Cilantro
    Guacamole
    Salsa
    Sour cream
    And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days - Ray Wylie Hubbard

I like bringing a nice iceberg salad to enjoy

I go with hot Italian sausage links with roasted green peppers and onions served on a good hard sausage roll. Usually served with a side of corn on the cob and macaroni salad. Washes down real nice with a session IPA.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Tri-tip or Top Block, cooked over red oak coals, pinquito beans, corn on the cobb slathered in real butter, garlic bread, and a tossed salad. Fireball shots for desert.

What ever happened to some good ole Carolina Packer hot dog with some patterson's chili and a Busch Light?

Hands down the one of the best is Low Country Boil.. You talk about making a lot of friend at the racetrack when they smell that Ole Bay..

Quote Originally Posted by ksmitty79 View Post
    Hands down the one of the best is Low Country Boil.. You talk about making a lot of friend at the racetrack when they smell that Ole Bay..
    Nailed it! Being from So MD, the ole bay definitely draws em in.. We usually reserve that for Fri at the World Finals..
    I don't always post on 4m.. But when I do, I'm usually sitting on the crapper!!

Got to be a ribeye - 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inch thick with baked beans! Gonna do that tomorrow at VMS!

Grilled Bacon flavored Spam on white bread with mayo and mustard and cheese if you prefer.Cut some cabbage into wedges,add some onion,butter and salt and pepper,wrap in foil and throw that on the grille also.