Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Eldora was basically an asphalt track with a LOT of dust.

They need to spend less on fireworks and buy some water trucks that work.

Also, the time management was absolutely horrible.

Kleenex time!!!

I'm not a fan of those dry slick and dusty features...

Didn't see it but I'm always amazed that track conditions can be so good after a couple days of rain and everyone is amazed... happened this week at our local tracks. Luxemburg was especially good Friday from what I hear... four wide racing in all the mains.

When I was there I darn near lived on the water truck Wed. and Thurs. nights during the hottest part of the summer. I learned from a couple of road builders who specialized in building and maintaining dirt/gravel roads. I also used calcium chloride and another 'water wetter' that I got from a Chicago company ($900/55 gal drum) ... even when we had dry conditions we didn't have a dust problem. Guys tell me it's illegal to use calcium today buy they use it for dust control on construction jobs and gravel roads everyday so I don't buy it.

You'd think today's promoters (and racers who love that slippery cr*p) would figure it out.

Anyway congrats to Bloomer...
    Last edited by Krooser; 06-11-2017 at 05:51 AM.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by fryefan View Post
    They need to spend less on fireworks and buy some water trucks that work.

Also, the time management was absolutely horrible.
    Would you say the same if someone else had won? There was racing, while I too don't like skating rinks, that's how they prep Eldora anymore. A lot less torn up cars I know that.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    I'm not a fan of those dry slick and dusty features...

Didn't see it but I'm always amazed that track conditions can be so good after a couple days of rain and everyone is amazed... happened this week at our local tracks. Luxemburg was especially good Friday from what I hear... four wide racing in all the mains.

When I was there I darn near lived on the water truck Wed. and Thurs. nights during the hottest part of the summer. I learned from a couple of road builders who specialized in building and maintaining dirt/gravel roads. I also used calcium chloride and another 'water wetter' that I got from a Chicago company ($900/55 gal drum) ... even when we had dry conditions we didn't have a dust problem. Guys tell me it's illegal to use calcium today buy they use it for dust control on construction jobs and gravel roads everyday so I don't buy it.

You'd think today's promoters (and racers who love that slippery cr*p) would figure it out.

Anyway congrats to Bloomer...
    They do still use calcium chloride, and it's horrible on vehicles, and I'd venture to say lungs. My previous employer used it once in a blue moon to control dust. It does work. Personally, I'd go with some of the track prep stuff, something made for tracks. But, with a clear SDS sheet. A manager at a dirt track I know wanted to use one, and either couldn't get a clear SDS sheet, or the stuff in it you sure as he!! didn't wanna breath. I know Atomic used some for a bit when Nier had it. They had a banner up for the stuff, and it sure seemed to work.

I work in excavation. Water, disc, water, disc, sheepsfoot, water, maybe grader or drag box, water and sheepsfoot. Something along them lines. I've seen that one fancy machine that is PTO driven and the tines spin in a circle, so maybe that?
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

It's been sunny and hot all week man

I thought the racing was good. I made the dumb decision to sit where the wind was blowing in my face, which a lil rough, but I have sat through a lot worse. The first 20 or 30 laps were the worst.

They didn't dig the track up very much all weekend, maybe a foot each night. They would grade it top to bottom then, sheep foot the pi$$ out of it, and after then water it. It was obvious to anyone that watched this take place, they didn't want it to be fast to where it was tearing stuff up.

No track in the nation will be perfect for fans and drivers....ever. To me if I can go watch a race where there's plenty of passing, and cars wall to wall, it don't get much better than that. Most of this is just my opinion, I'm sure some won't agree, but I could careless.

Dry slick= boring. They need a nice big cushion and hammer down.

Thumbs up Doesn't get any better than that. Hats off!

Congrats to Bloomquist, Mission Accomplished.
    Loved the track conditions, perfect surface that rewards driving and setup over horsepower, just the way I like it. Great racing, lots of passing, dicing, multi-groove, you couldn't ask for anything more.
    History doesn't always repeat, but it does often rhyme.

Dry Slick= dont give a $hit about Fans...

Sounds like a few didn't have thier boys win.

We watched via the PPV and that sometimes gives a somewhat different perspective from actually being there. As a whole the racing was good. What was very odd in contrast to back when we were attending Eldora's biggest late model races was the leader of most of the race was committed to the bottom most of the time. That hardly ever happened in years past.

Congratulations to ol' bloomy. He just keeps adding to his late model legend. Like everything else his day will pass but it's been a treat for all of us dirt late model fans to have watched him all these years. Love him or hate him he's special in a lot of different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardirt0 View Post
    Dry Slick= dont give a $hit about Fans...
    Quote Originally Posted by race14 View Post
    Dry slick= boring. They need a nice big cushion and hammer down.
    You want 10 cars to finish with a bunch of pi$$ed off drivers and torn up sh!t? That's what you get when most tracks are that way, especially Eldora. Been there, seen it. In saying that, I'd like a little more of a happy medium.

But it's not that they don't care about fans at all, the racing was good. They want to also satisfy drivers too. And if you have a hammer down track, you are satisfying a handful of fans and that's it. They prepped the track, it's not like they pulled an Atomic under Schrader, and went with the "Field of Dreams motto".

Quote Originally Posted by chupp n bloomer fan View Post
    I've seen that one fancy machine that is PTO driven and the tines spin in a circle, so maybe that?
    They call those things with circular pinning fingers a "laylay." I may be wrong on spelling, I do know that's how it's pronounced. Those things are old school, and kinda hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    They call those things with circular pinning fingers a "laylay." I may be wrong on spelling, I do know that's how it's pronounced. Those things are old school, and kinda hard to find.
    Gotcha man. Your assessment of Eldora was very good. Nice post, once again.

Now that I got a new job, should be able to meet up with ya at Eldora during The World 100.

The implement in question is a Lely Roterra. It's used to work the soil and produce an adequate seed bed in severe conditions when there are clumps and clods of dirt that need to be broken apart to enhance seed to soil contact to provide for germination of crop seeds.

They can be used very effectively on smaller tracks. They require a lot of PTO horsepower and are generally a high maintenance machine. This is probably why they are not readily used on the bigger tracks. Tony Stewart uses two of them at The Chili Bowl. Quite effectively, I might add. A 100 horsepower tractor would only accommodate about a 12' Roterra used for race track prep. A Roterra is not generally used in solid packed soils such as what is present at a dirt race track. That only adds to the high maintenance situation. Solid soils are very hard on them.
    Last edited by CIRF; 06-11-2017 at 10:13 AM.

We use to Race at a track down in Southwest Missouri that used laundry Detergent on the track and it wasn't to bad it was cheaper and safer to use than the Calcium Chloride was and it made it easier when washing the race car as well.....
    If you can't race it or take it to bed! It ain't worth having!

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty55 View Post
    We use to Race at a track down in Southwest Missouri that used laundry Detergent on the track and it wasn't to bad it was cheaper and safer to use than the Calcium Chloride was and it made it easier when washing the race car as well.....
    Hey Nasty!! Great to see ya' postin'!

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    The implement in question is a Lely Roterra. It's used to work the soil and produce an adequate seed bed in severe conditions when there are clumps and clods of dirt that need to be broken apart to enhance seed to soil contact to provide for germination of crop seeds.

They can be used very effectively on smaller tracks. They require a lot of PTO horsepower and are generally a high maintenance machine. This is probably why they are not readily used on the bigger tracks. Tony Stewart uses two of them at The Chili Bowl. Quite effectively, I might add. A 100 horsepower tractor would only accommodate about a 12' Roterra used for race track prep. A Roterra is not generally used in solid packed soils such as what is present at a dirt race track. That only adds to the high maintenance situation. Solid soils are very hard on them.
    They sure are nice though on the short track's CIRF......make's Saturday night alot easier for track packing and for a Racier track surface that's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Hey Nasty!! Great to see ya' postin'!
    Thank you brother I pop in now and then to read racing but haven't posted much of anything as I've been spending alot of time with the wife and family...❤