Default Changing all 4 bars at once?

We run a limited class (450ish hp) and have been having a pretty successful season, but the only complaint from the driver is that the car has TOO much grip. Even on a slick track it's enough to bog the motor. We already run more gear than anyone else, have static bite at zero, and have it handling/turning beautifully. Would moving all 4 bars down 1 hole maintain the handling but take some of the drive out of both rears equally, or would that have a lot of other changes with it? Are there better ways to do what I'm looking for? Maybe a 5th coil adjustment? I don't want to ruin/change the handling at all, but want to make it just that little bit better.

I know the cars I've wrenched on, if you could bog the motor down on a slick track, it was always fast. That's hard to do. If you're winning your fair share, I wouldn't change it.

But a couple of things you could try:1) lower rear weight 1-2%, 2) Shorten/stiffen fifth coil

There is a big difference between forward bite and loose or tight off the corner. Many people say loose off the corner but that could be 2 meanings, actually loose off the corner with drive or just no forward drive. Those are completely different fixes but are somewhat related.

Moving bars will likely change the tight/loose/neutral off the corner and it sounds like you have more drive then motor but I don't see that as a reason to lessen the drive unless it's causing a handling issue.

You're not real clear what the problem is besides he's bogging the engine, which maybe he just can't spin the tires and loosen the car if he gets into a tight condition and can't bail the car out with engine if needed. Common problem with limited HP stuff, you can free the car up some to make it more maneuverable at times but will likely slow down overall.

There's no handling problems at all. Handling great. It's exactly what you're saying about common low hp issue of not being able to throttle out of situations. Not a big issue, just trying to get it a little better without upsetting the balance of the car. I don't think it's bogging to the point of hurting performance (it's great on restarts and coming off the corners). The 5th coil is back one hole from neutral setting now. I'm ok, as is the driver, with leaving it alone but I'm always looking to tweak it and make it better.

It sounds like you're describing a too much side bite on entry and too much forward bite on exit scenario. In general, fix entry problems first, but if you're confident that fixing entry is still going to leave you with too much forward bite off the corner, I would move both bottom bars up on the frame.

It definitely sticks well and turns nice. What's a good indication of TOO much side bite?

This thread sounds like a guy saying his lady friend looks too good.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

That's actually how it feels! I'm not complaining by any means! I'm just fairly new at setting up these cars, and I've been pretty lucky/good at improving it when it's not quite right. I guess it's not so easy to find ways to improve when it finally IS right. Can never quit getting better though. Thank you all for the responses.

wish I had this problem, I'd be looking for more hp / torgue and they'd never catch ya

I definitely wouldn't shorten and stiffen the 5th coil that'll just add to the problem. If anything don't touch any rods and try dropping the 5th down 25 pounds but leave it in the same position. You're at the fine tuning stage so small changes are what you need to make and one at a time so you know what affect it has on the car.

Quote Originally Posted by MBR Performance View Post
    I definitely wouldn't shorten and stiffen the 5th coil that'll just add to the problem. If anything don't touch any rods and try dropping the 5th down 25 pounds but leave it in the same position. You're at the fine tuning stage so small changes are what you need to make and one at a time so you know what affect it has on the car.
    Don't tell that to Josh Richards or Barry Wright....they would disagree!