Thread: question

Default question

what are the beifits of a heavy wheel spacer?

On the 4th page on here, read the entire "lead on the LR tube" thread. I think you'll find some good discussion there. In short, it's probably only valuable on the LR of a car with enough motor to not be hurt by the extra rotating mass. Also check your rules. It may not be legal in some places.

Great way to make sure your crew isn't a bunch of weak pu**ies!

Hiking the LR accomplishes several things for us:
    1) increased LR thrust angle helps drive off
    2) increased vertical center of gravity promotes weight transfer from front to rear when driving off the corner
    3) aerodynamic down force
    The negative side affect to HOW we do this (LR on bars rather than spring and travel limited by a usually solid travel limiting device) is a VERY stiff LR suspension. Once the car is hiked, your LR shock is basically doing nothing. With this rigidity, even the slightest of bumps in the race track will cause the LR tire to be the softest part of the suspension and any time you're using your tire as a suspension component, it isn't doing what it needs to do which is grip the race track. So since we are effectively WAY above critical dampening for the amount of unsprung weight on that corner, one solution is to make the unsprung weight of that corner higher.
    That's the best I can explain my understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by hipower17 View Post
    what are the beifits of a heavy wheel spacer?
    As someone who has used one before, I will suggest that you not waste your time.

It was okay if the track allowed the car to be driven very straight and steered with the front tires. The MOMENT you spun the rear tires even a little, the corner could be thrown away because you would not regain traction.

The same can be said for corner entry. It made the car loose under decel and it was impossible to re-gain traction once you were sliding on entry.

It was good for getting the car into the corner in the mud, but I honestly wouldn't suggest someone do it. There are countless other ways to free the car up on entry in the mud.

For all-out traction, Lead on the axle tube was better imo.