Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Steve Francis...Serious ?, not bashing the man

If Bloomer or Richards, Pierce, etc. don't win a race for a couple weeks, they're "struggling."

In all seriousness, I'd like to dig into the drivers who have legitimately struggled, and get your opinions as to why?

Steve Francis is a veteran driver, a national touring champion, and has enjoyed a DLM career few can rival.

Is it equipment? Funding? Age? Driving Style? Wear and tear of years on the road?

I know winning a race on either national tour is NOT easy, but he's done it more than the average bear in the past.

Again, I'm not looking to bash the man, or Chub, or EPJ or any other touring drivers who haven't been to victory lane for awhile. Just looking for opinions as to why.

Epj has won a few races this year, a couple Lucas races at that.

Steve hasn't been he same since Chris passed away. He ran good in the bwrc house car, before the Bowyer money got involved. I don't think he's washed up though. This day and age, once you get behind, it's almost impossible to get back to the top again. That's just a testament to how good Bloomquist is. He may have a off year, but he's never had, what I would call back to back to bad years.

I don't know if Steve will ever get back to what he was or not, but we don't need him to leave, that's for sure.

Having only won a couple lucas shows this year epj should probably hang it up lol. Do clowns not realize at a lucas show your racing the Lucas guys plus all of the super fast reigional guys that night ? If your a few tenths off your stuck in the back unless your a world class talent and your stuff is dialed in

Steve is well capable. Notice how he wins heats and qualifies up front but cant get it done in the race. I know why hes not running good but its money keeping him from getting there and i dont mean mean spent either.

Quote Originally Posted by zyoung25 View Post
    Epj has won a few races this year, a couple Lucas races at that.

Steve hasn't been he same since Chris passed away. He ran good in the bwrc house car, before the Bowyer money got involved. I don't think he's washed up though. This day and age, once you get behind, it's almost impossible to get back to the top again. That's just a testament to how good Bloomquist is. He may have a off year, but he's never had, what I would call back to back to bad years.

I don't know if Steve will ever get back to what he was or not, but we don't need him to leave, that's for sure.
    Yeah. When it was just Barry, Lance, and Steve, they were sporty. Shame, he really can't put it together right now. But hopefully he just sticks with a brand and gets it to his liking.

Earl has been pretty good and consistent this year, as you and others have said, with some Lucas wins.

Chub, the Lester money, and that fire I think is what has done him in. He doesn't even win when he goes back local.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Asked a similar question awhile back. Maybe he needs a Chassis change?
    Last edited by MI Dirt Fan; 07-31-2017 at 08:11 AM.

I think bring out on an island with the Capital stuff hinders him some. I feel that his results would be a little better if he was on the WoO with Shane Clinton night in and night out. On a tour, it really helps to have another driver to bounce ideas off of and share information with.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Gentlemen,
    Appreciate the responses. Please keep 'em coming. Huck, knew I could count on you for an insult. What the hell, did you read my username as Gray or something?

I know d@mn well EPJ has won a couple races this year, and what it takes against the best. But...winning 2 races over 5 months and not in the title chase is a long way from where that team had been, when they won multiple championships. We know funding isn't the issue with that team. Is it qualifying? Set-up? Bloomer?? Or??

Good luck with the rest of your race season in PA. How's the Pierce car been treating you?

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    I think bring out on an island with the Capital stuff hinders him some. I feel that his results would be a little better if he was on the WoO with Shane Clinton night in and night out. On a tour, it really helps to have another driver to bounce ideas off of and share information with.
    I was surprised when he decided to run Lucas and not WoO.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Zonks32x View Post
    If Bloomer or Richards, Pierce, etc. don't win a race for a couple weeks, they're "struggling."

In all seriousness, I'd like to dig into the drivers who have legitimately struggled, and get your opinions as to why?

Steve Francis is a veteran driver, a national touring champion, and has enjoyed a DLM career few can rival.

Is it equipment? Funding? Age? Driving Style? Wear and tear of years on the road?

I know winning a race on either national tour is NOT easy, but he's done it more than the average bear in the past.

Again, I'm not looking to bash the man, or Chub, or EPJ or any other touring drivers who haven't been to victory lane for awhile. Just looking for opinions as to why.
    Could be that smack to the head he got did more damage than is realized, not to mention the spinal injury he got a few seasons back. Concussions are no joke and the chief reason I advocate against FC seats being mandatory, although that had nothing to do with Steve's injury.
    Last edited by Highwayman; 08-01-2017 at 10:30 AM.
    I was a highwayman
    Along the coach roads I did ride
    With sword and pistol by my side
    and I am still alive

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Could be that smack to the head he got a couple of seasons back did more damage than is realized. Concussions are no joke and the chief reason I advocate against FC seats being mandatory.
    1. Francis got smacked in the head last year at Tri City. His struggles pre date that.

2. We can debate FC seats, and there is some validity to the concussion argument however he was going to get a concussion regardless of what seat he had in because he got hit in the head!

I know this is 4m and facts are usually ignored.

Can't really pick on Francis. New team and car the first of the year. I have seen crews not be on the same page for years and not know why they aren't running good. Don't for one moment think Steve forgot how to drive. One guy could change that team night to day. A leadership guy. If he says the chicken cab pull the train, the rest hitch that chicken up. You have to believe, then it's easy to make it happen. I still see moments of Francis talent. corner speed and hustling exit speed. It just doesn't happen all the time.

One other thing about dry spells, Even the winning est drivers will loose way more races than they win.

Quote Originally Posted by manwplan View Post
    1. Francis got smacked in the head last year at Tri City. His struggles pre date that.

2. We can debate FC seats, and there is some validity to the concussion argument however he was going to get a concussion regardless of what seat he had in because he got hit in the head!

I know this is 4m and facts are usually ignored.
    Precisely. He was hit in the helmet/face with a weight from another car. Zero to do with the seats that have saved a lot more people than they've hurt. Just like seat belts.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by JabberJaws83 View Post
    I was surprised when he decided to run Lucas and not WoO.
    I think he was planning on going back to the WoO, then Lucas hooked him up with the Rhino AG sponsorship deal and that changed.

Didn't Chub win one in ND a few weeks ago?
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Didn't Chub win one in ND a few weeks ago?
    No. He led a good chunk of the race, but Sheppard got him late in the race.

With SLM racing being what it is today. If your off by a few tenths this is what you get. It only shows were the level of some of the top talent is at. Guys like francis, chubzilla, even EPJ. they have the equipment, it's just that they struggle to find those tenths of a second.

There's always a changing of the guard unless you get a warhorse like Bloomquist. Pearson, at one time, was one of the best but he's drifted from a 1-5 finisher to a 5-10 finisher, for the most part. He can still win one occasionally but it will be rarely. These new, young bucks (Sheppard, Overton, Pierce, etc.) will make sure it stays that way too.

To me it's very simple, winning national dirt late model races is very hard and your entire program (chassis, engine, tires, shocks, crew) has to be spot on to do that.

Steve Francis didn't have anything as of December, he literally built a team in one month to go to Golden Isles.

As others have said, Steve Francis would be much better off on the WoO. Not only is the depth a little less than on the LOLMDS but also he would have a few Capital guys to run with as well weekly. He would be a regular top 5/10 car on the WoO. I think it would have been a much better decision for his career to run with them.

Thanks,
    Jeff.