Default Messed up engine

Had engine built by local guy, loooong story, but LOTS of things were messed up. The item currently in question deals with the timing set. First, he didn't even use the billet Cloyes timing set I bought for him to use, but rather a $25 Melling double roller that had only one keyway on crank gear. There are no offset bushings in the cam gear. If the mark is placed at 6 o'clock, the crank gear mark is approximately at 1:30 ish! Nearly two whole teeth off. My question is, does this mean the cam is advanced or retarded by that massive amount? After discovering other issues, I clayed the pistons, and discovered there is literally 0 exhaust piston to valve clearance. Would these two issues coincide? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dfhotlm33c View Post
    Had engine built by local guy, loooong story, but LOTS of things were messed up. The item currently in question deals with the timing set. First, he didn't even use the billet Cloyes timing set I bought for him to use, but rather a $25 Melling double roller that had only one keyway on crank gear. There are no offset bushings in the cam gear. If the mark is placed at 6 o'clock, the crank gear mark is approximately at 1:30 ish! Nearly two whole teeth off. My question is, does this mean the cam is advanced or retarded by that massive amount? After discovering other issues, I clayed the pistons, and discovered there is literally 0 exhaust piston to valve clearance. Would these two issues coincide? Thanks
    The cam is retarded so less exhaust clearance and more intake clearance. That far off not surprising it has no exhaust clearance

Yes, your cam timing is seriously jacked up and the two are one and the same problem. Don't even think about firing it off like that. Even being one tooth off on the gear is probably more than you would ever advance or retard a cam. If I got an engine from someone with that kind of assembly error I would scratch any trust in all work and do a complete disassembly and inspection. There could be rods in backwards, bearings wrong, seals backwards, hell don't trust anything when you got that big a goof up going on. Just my opinion though.

My thoughts exactly. To mess up something like that and "lots of things" mentioned in the first post would be a big red flag. There's no way I'd try to run it before checking everything.

Would it even run at all 36' retarded?

THe dot on the crankgear is at 1:30 or the keyway is at 1:30?

Here is a pic of the timing set. Again, this is only one of many problems..to list them all would be rather lengthy..I am essentially starting over myself. Should have done it myself anyways. We were scammed basically. Oh well, live and learn.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dfhotlm33c; 06-26-2017 at 01:23 PM.

Looks like someone put the balancer on and then drove the crank key in...............That's some horrible looking stuff. Run like the wind.
    BUCKLE UP NOW, YA HEAR?