Thread: oil pump?

Default oil pump?

anyone use a stud to hold the oil pump on? i'm rebuilding a engine that has this just wondering i've never used this before what would the stud torque on and the nut that holds the oil pump on. thanks for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by hipower17 View Post
    anyone use a stud to hold the oil pump on? i'm rebuilding a engine that has this just wondering i've never used this before what would the stud torque on and the nut that holds the oil pump on. thanks for any info.
    I'd be careful as I personally seem .001 difference in vertical rear main clearance between changing from a bolt to a stud if the block was align honed with a bolt. We always align hone the mains with a oil pump bolted on with the fastener that is going to be used.

PS: that was a stock SBC block, just always installed when line honing after that so if an aftermarket block/cap it could be different and not have much effect but I don't know for sure.

Agreed.

I've had to go as far as using a stud when the threads pulled out because the bolt was too short. I kept adding torque 5 pounds at a time until the main bore was round again on a bore gauge. Ended up at 60 lbs ft I think?

If in doubt, a local engine guy should be able to work it out as it's a simple thing to figure out when you do it all day every day.

I use a stud on most of mine. You do have to be careful of length on some caps. I had one that would have bottomed threads out on the bearing! Other than that I have had no issues.