Default Turd on restarts

604 with holley ultra hp carb. 650 cfm stock carb. Msd 6al box and dist. 34deg timing locked out. 6 to 7lbs of fuel pressure. 6.5 power valve and 72 jets front and back. I get ran over on starts. It doesn't bang or miss or anything. Just real lazy. But then takes off like a bat outa hell and runs great. What am I doing wrong or missing with this thing?

You've just discovered why people buy good custom built carburetors for the crate engines. There is a big difference.

What fuel? I hope you don't buy it from the track...some like to blend to increase profits!

Everyone is running the holley ultra hp carb around here. That's why I bought it. I run the Sunoco 91 rush series fuel. Everyone has to run it or the Sunoco 110.

Put the 110 in it, from a sealed drum........and put the 91 in your lawnmower, JUNK!

Funny thing is, a lot of people are bitching about the 110 right now. They are stumbling on the starts with it right now.

Check the basics. Are you sure you dont have a blown power valve that is moving way to much fuel all the time, which would make it really rich? Are all the air bleeds clean? Are the accelerator pump arms adjusted correctly? Which accelerator pump cams are you using?

I just put a new 6.5 pv in it. But I've gotten bad new parts before too. I have no clue with anything else. Air bleeds "look" clean. I guess I may just pull the carb and send it back out maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Porterracing2 View Post
    Funny thing is, a lot of people are bitching about the 110 right now. They are stumbling on the starts with it right now.
    From a sealed drum is the key!

Ya. I guess I don't know where it's coming from when they are complaining about it but at this time I can't budget a drum of 110 into my program. Just getting started back into the crate deal after an awesome divorce. Smh.

Stumbling on starts and re-starts is common for those carbs on crate engines. If everyone is running them you'd have a good advantage with one that is actually perfect on a crate engine. Fwiw.

Send it off to someone who understands the fuel curve demands of the engine that you are running, the fuel you are running, and the weight of your vehicle. It's money well spent. JDR is very good but there are others out there like Willy's and Stealth that do good work.
    Quick test for blown power valve is to close up your idle mixture screws with the motor idling. If it stays running with all of the screws closed, it is likely a blown power valve. As mentioned though you would also be suffering from a very rich condition which will quickly foul plugs.
    Last edited by Matt49; 06-23-2017 at 12:48 PM.

I agree with all suggestions here and emphasize what LR tire changer said in his suggestion
    "check the basics"---fuel pressure and float level---and everything else mentioned
    try different restart tacticts---roll the throttle----power brake
    if your still not satisfied---as mentioned several times ---seek the help of the people who know

don't overlook ignition either---grounds--rotor phasing--correct timing (was your balancer checked for TDC?)

hope you figure it out soon

Brad
    www.race-1.com

http://race-1.com/p-26182-what-shoul...timing-at.html

pay special attention to the ***NOTE***

Brad

Get with 4-5 guys that are having the problem and buy a drum for a night. The 91 is overpriced poor lawn cutting fuel...at best. You can't afford not to with how little the payback is for a poor finish.

the fuel may be his problem and I am no fan of the 91 but I think he should check some other things first

to switch over for a night it would be 2 cars at best to split a drum---by the time you put 20+ gallons in the fuel cell to start

Brad
    www.race-1.com