Thread: Help !!!!

Default Help !!!!

Can someone give me a detailed insight what the difference between swing arm and z link is? Can I clamp up both swing arms and mount coilovers on the bars or do you need the rear facing bars. I'd love to talk to someone that is knowledgeable about this. Pm me or whatever

The bottom image is the swing arm. Spring/shock/slider mounted on the arm connected to bird cage. Z-Link looks the same, but the spring/shock/slider is mounted on the birdcage.https://www.afcodynapro.com/tech-central then select "AFCO" under Tech Tips. Then open Modified Suspension Tuning Tips" in the AFCO Modified Tech.
    Last edited by bananahammack00; 07-06-2017 at 09:08 PM.

you can lock up the birdcage and run the car as a swing arm or leave the bird cage float with the top bars back and run a Z-link swing arm

The Z link almost eliminates any suspension steering as it goes through its range,
    old dirtworks setup sheet for a swing arm z link

most swing arm cars pre-date the coil over being allowed in IMCA

I put coil overs on my friends Zlink swingarm car, we needed a stiffer shock then when the shock was mounted on the birdcage.

http://www.thedirtforum.com/dwsetups/14.jpg

If you run your springs directly on the swing arms you must run heavier springs, I usually start with 375 RR and 350 LR. You can lock the bird cages and take the top bars off, but you're just limiting yourself. I'd never clamp the birdcage up. Swing arm should be run with springs mounted to birdcages and shocks mounted behind on the birdcage. Z link the shocks and springs are mounted just like a 4 bar car, LR spring behind, shock ahead, RR spring ahead, shock behind with nothing on the birdcage. Run standard weight springs. In my years of experience of all the setups mentioned here, true swingarm is by far the best if you can't run 4 bar. They make monster forward bite when set up correctly. Lots of up angle in the top RR bar, lots of down angle in the LR top bar. Bottom bars both neutral.

OK after little more research I discovered my car is support to be ran 4 bar lr and z link Rr. What the advantage of that set up? Will it compete with a 4 bar car on 3/8 clay med bank?