Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I'm Not Much On Gimmicks, But.......

It is disheartening seeing so many races won from the front row. No passing for the lead. Seems like two out of three race reports on DOD is "Driver XYZ led every lap in route to his....blah blah blah".

I hate the stupid inverts and roll-the-dice stuff, pick-a-number from the hat, etc. But what I hate more is no passing for the lead.

Seeing as it doesn't look like the track prep is going to improve anytime soon, should there be more gimmicky invert stuff going on to at least give the fans a show?

It is bad enough watching on video, it is even worse when you sit out there for 5 hours and never see a pass for the lead in the feature.

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    It is disheartening seeing so many races won from the front row. No passing for the lead. Seems like two out of three race reports on DOD is "Driver XYZ led every lap in route to his....blah blah blah".

I hate the stupid inverts and roll-the-dice stuff, pick-a-number from the hat, etc. But what I hate more is no passing for the lead.

Seeing as it doesn't look like the track prep is going to improve anytime soon, should there be more gimmicky invert stuff going on to at least give the fans a show?

It is bad enough watching on video, it is even worse when you sit out there for 5 hours and never see a pass for the lead in the feature.
    Boy, the can of worms you're going to open with this one.

Inverts depending on car count, and track prep. But probably no more than 6-8 ever.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

I'm a fan of the old trophy dash. Fastest six qualifiers start inverted (fast time in position six), and their finishing order is the first three rows of the feature line-up. From there on back can be the finishing order of heats or back to qualifying.

Referencing DoD you're obviously talking about bigger/national shows, so that's one thing, but I will forever feel that straight up starts in weekly racing has all but killed racing, most certainly for the "little" guy.

That is good feedback Jet. I agree with CNB, inverts definitely need a limit to 6-8. Trophy dash would work too.

When you speak of the little guy at a weekly race. I used to race the 600cc micro sprints up in Tulsa. After about 6 weeks I finally finished high enough in a heat to qualify for the A. They did invert based on point average. I was horrible, so I had a low point average. I started on the pole of the A, and I had no business being there. It was dangerous. I had guys that were way better and way faster running over me the first lap. I think I went from the pole to about 7th after 1 lap on an 1/8th mile track. It was absurd. I agree the little guy needs to be in the mix somehow but only to an extent, otherwise it becomes dangerous.

The touring guys hate the invert, for obvious reasons, they want the easiest route to the A-main. I can't blame them for the position. But if the WoO and Lucas would work together and come to an agreement on lineup procedures, then neither series can lose cars based on it. BUT......as long as the tracks and series make money with the current format, I don't see either making any changes.

My area sanctioning body (WISSOTA) has went to a invert point average system for the feature lineup. Example: 2 heat races, the top 4 finishers in each heat make the invert. High point average based on the last 3 weeks points starts 8th in the feature.

It's the old chicken and the egg arguement. Is there no passing because the fast cars are up front or is there no passing because the track isn't that good? If the track isn't that good, inverts will not help with passing. I have seen that too many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Tireguy17 View Post
    My area sanctioning body (WISSOTA) has went to a invert point average system for the feature lineup. Example: 2 heat races, the top 4 finishers in each heat make the invert. High point average based on the last 3 weeks points starts 8th in the feature.
    Hmmmm, that is an interesting procedure. How long has WISSOTA been using this process?

I was at a paved LM race (not sure why) where the leader rolled a really big novelty dice on the front straight at the midway point of the race. That might work for some long 100 lap race but the sand baggers and what could be an unnecessary caution could ruin it too.

Then we get the same excuse of "less stuff gets tore up when the fast cars start up front"

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Hmmmm, that is an interesting procedure. How long has WISSOTA been using this process?
    Quoted the wrong person. Sounds like Wissota uses a similar procedure to IMCA
    Last edited by MI Dirt Fan; 07-18-2017 at 02:27 PM.

At our regular California Super Stock haunts the winner of the first heat pulls a number from 1-4 to determine the invert so you could start the main anywhere from 1st to 7th position. It's bitten us several times after winning a heat and then a crummy draw puts us mid pack and we've also benefited when we sucked in a heat and the draw put us up front. A touring Nevada Pro Stock group we've run with for years puts the point leader dead last in the main. Both ways promote hard racing all night and, though it's just an expensive hobby for us, that's why we do it.

WISSOTA has been using the Point Average Invert for at least 8 seasons.
    Invitationals/Specials can use other formats, and tracks can alter from the point average for a couple weekly shows a season, usually mid-season and season championship nights.

I grew with the fastest qualifier starting at the tail... 25 lap feaures. The difference from today was the promoters gave those guys a decent amount of $$$ for quick time AND (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) near the same points you'd get for winning the main. You didn't see much sandbagging.

Oh yeah...they paid four spots in the heats, too. If you didn't make the top ten in the main at least you made some $$$

some guys made a career out of winning the semi-features.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    I grew with the fastest qualifier starting at the tail... 25 lap feaures. The difference from today was the promoters gave those guys a decent amount of $$$ for quick time AND (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) near the same points you'd get for winning the main. You didn't see much sandbagging.

Oh yeah...they paid four spots in the heats, too. If you didn't make the top ten in the main at least you made some $$$

some guys made a career out of winning the semi-features.
    I grew up with the feature winner from the previous week starting on the tail. No qualifying, pill draw for heats. Heats paid $ and points.

Nice to see someone that remembers those days Krooser. I think very few pay heat races anymore. We raced 20 yrs ago and the purses really haven't increased that much.

I can see both sides fastest car start in first 3 rows. You put slower guys up front they get ran over. but at same time I like seen fastest cars come from the back. They should let pole sitter pick line up right before the race starts. Fastest in front or slowest in front. If fastest in the back, double points or 1.5 times the points for each spots. Or bounces money, of course if its train race track it wouldn't work out good.

Or have pole sitter and 2nd sitter if they start from back double points for them and bounce money. It would be more entrainment for fans and give someone the chance catch up in points. Risk and reward system deal.

dirtcrazy.... when I went broke during my last foray into promoting I ran two classes at my little 100 year old horse track turned speedway...four bangers and streeters. Didn't think I could get any IMCA guys to run unsanctioned even on an off night (Thursday).

I paid my streeters $300 to win if we had 12 cars... $250 otherwise. $100 to 10th place. $60-50-40 in the dash and heats. Most had never heard the term 'trophy dash'... none had ever seen heat $$$. The eventual track champ had a $250.00 Pontiac enduro car. He took home $500 one night. Still couldn't get guys to come...

I ran the hell outta the guys that did run...everyone ran a dash and two heats plus the main. I ran 'back-up' races... I pitted the 4 cyls. against the streeters in a six lap deal with the small cars getting a half lap headstart... they were never beat!

I did have a crappy race surface but I stressed if you guys support me for five weeks I'll have enough cash to resurface the track... didn't happen. So I was forced to bail... lost $29,000 in five nights counting all the improvements I did to the fairgrounds.

Stuff happens...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

101 ways to skin a cat I guess! I raced at Freeport (IL) way back when, and we didn't qualify. Our dash was the top six from the previous weeks feature. Those six also had their own heat with two additions (the front row), which I honestly cannot remember how they were chosen. But our feature line-up was the top two in the other two heats making up the front two rows, then the "fast heat" cars (the six from the dash plus the two), and the heat finishers from 3rd on back from there.

Yeah Krooser, I certainly miss the days of $ from heat races. I used to clean house in those scenarios, and actually remember feeling a little hurt financially when we had a rainout or two. That probably didn't help with your $29K loss though!

And Zach51, I certainly can relate to your story of the old invert days. I was out of racing for about 11 years when I made my return in 2013. The April special out at 34 Raceway (Burlington, IA) was the first I could make that year. It was a Cornbelt race and we drew for starting spots. I drew the outside pole of a heat. Like a macho dork, I kept my starting spot. My long hiatus showed as I was in last by the time we exited turn two. What an idiot! Luckily nothing got tore up.

But with my saying it's killed racing for the little guy, I'm talking about straight up starts in heats at weekly tracks. If someone's not capable of winning a race, they're just not going to win. But you used to be able to show up with substandard equipment, qualify slow, then start up front in a heat and actually win one here or there. That keeps you interested! You get your picture taken. You show up at work Monday morning and people ask, "How'd racing go?" And with a smile you can't wait to say, "I won my heat!" It keeps you coming back for more is all.

Now in my fifth year of this "return to racing," I show up every week knowing I will not win so much as a heat race. My own fault? Sure, and I'm not looking for any handouts, but my best chance to win anything would come in a B-Main, and I don't want to be in that race in the first place. I live on moral victories, but even those don't do it after a while.

Is that scenario good for either the racers or the fans? Are people not tired of seeing the same three or four guys win every week at their local track?

Back in the day I'd head out to East Moline every now and then on Sundays. We also didn't qualify there. They had a rule where the winner from last week started no better than something like tenth (the exact position slips my mind), but either way, I think we had 7 different winners in the first 7 weeks of racing. And that was with guys like Gary Webb, who then had something like 13 championships (not to slight Gary, but I don't know what he ultimately ended up with overall). I doubt Gary ever complained about inverted starts. For him, it was part of the job, it made him who he was.
    Last edited by TheJet-09; 07-19-2017 at 12:38 AM.

Passing point or inverts provide the best racing.

A prime example is that the MLRA shows at Donnellson, IA. During the 2015 & 2016 seasons, when MLRA was still a passing point format series, those shows were some of the best races of the year. However, this year they went to the Lucas Oil format and the 2 MLRA shows there were not very good. In fact as one blogger pointed out Chris Simpson won both races and never passed a car for position (he did pass some lap cars) in either show (heats and A-features). That is not a knock on Chris at all (I was happy to see him in victory lane), but the racing was poor. At both shows the racing in the other 5 classes (all with inverts or redraws) was very good.
    Last edited by fryefan; 07-19-2017 at 12:58 AM.

Also, the MARS series switched to the "freight-train" format this year as well and the racing has went downhill in my opinion.