Default I'm new to 3 link with solid top link looking for some set help

I'm new to the 3 link stuff I run a late model chassis it's a mastersbilt smackdown. But the rules are we have to run clamped brackets on the LR and rr and solid top link with the shock and spring either in front or behind can't stagger them. My issue is lack of forward drive we run a hard 10 inch tire that has to be bought from the track and you're luck to get a 1/2 of rear stagger My set up lf 500lb. Rf 275lb, Lr 200lb. Rr 250lb 54 left 56 rear 80lbs bite What bar angles would be a good starting point my lr is 20 degrees, top link is 3 inches about the quick change 25 degrees angles down, rr is 5 degrees both lr and rr are 15 inch the top link I believe is 19-20 inches long I can't find the measurement in my notes but any help would be greatly appreciated

Make sure you run the springs on the front of the axle. Doing so uses the axle wrap to help produce more drive as apposed to the axle rotating away from the spring. Before you go chasing "forward drive", how does the car handle? Break it down into segments; entry, middle, exit- you get the idea. Are you sure you're not getting beat through the center and losing the exit speed because of a lack of momentum? I see guys all the time chasing after forward bite, but they're the ones who diamond the corner and are losing speed before they start to pickup the throttle. The reason I ask is because I don't see anything necessarily wrong with the information you've given for the cars setup. The little bit of info given isn't out of the ball park by any means.

Yes the spring are in front of the axle and the car runs good I keep up with the cars through the corners just can't pull them down the straight. The car is good on the high side along the cushion I can start rolling on the throttle early in the middle but I can't really put my foot down coming off the corner or down the straight I can just roast the tires at anytime down the straight I'm down to a 6.12 in the heat and 6.01 in the dry slick feature the tire circumstance is 84-84.5 on the left side and 85 on the right side and I check the tach at the end of each race and I'm at 7-7300 I run a 377 sb2 with a 390 carb (that's a rule 390 carb) and it makes right 550hp I was just wondering what bar lengths and angles some of you mod guys run thanks for the help

Top link needs to be 30-35".

Might try a bit stiffer rf spring or stiffer bump stop or less gap on bumpstop.
    Another issue I see is you run a lower gear in the heat. Why do you gear up for feature? Typically track slows down and you would lower gear in main. With a higher gear once it starts spinning, it is harder for car to catch back up than if a lower gear is in a he car.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

If you feel it's that close, then I'd come up to 3 or 325 on the RF as JustAddDirt said to do. I'm wondering why ERM11 would add angle to the top link? Sounds to me like it may need less if you're able to get in the throttle early but then it loses it off and down the straight? I may be reading that wrong, but that would tell me you need less angle. How much angle on the spoiler? Try another 25lbs or so in the rear to up the rear %? Just a couple easy things to look at. Different opinions on gearing, but I've been more successful with adding gear(higher numerical ratio) when the track gets slick and slow. Theory behind it is the actual wheel speed is less with a bigger(numerical ratio) gear. It's easier to roll off the pedal a little and slow the wheel speed down so it can have a chance to hook up, and once it does hook you have that extra pull to move the car. If that makes any sense at all..

I was referencing length.

I stand corrected! haha

Ok nopoole37 that makes senses. What I was trying to accomplish with going from the 6.12 to the 6.01 was to try and lug the motor a bit and give the car a chance to try and hook up it helped a little but I see with putting a higher numerical ratio gear may help but with being a rookie driver and not having the forward drive it's a crutch that kinda helps me not spin the tires as easy and yes im losing or lacking drive off the corner and down the straight. But I do add fuel for the feature usually around 5 gallons so that puts me about 3 gallons above what I start with at the beginning of the night and the spoiler is near 80-90 degrees but I have thought about going up to a 325 on the rf and I will get an exact measurement on my top link hopefully Saturday. How high above axle center line do you run the top link
    Last edited by Car18; 07-20-2017 at 11:44 PM.