Default Tennessee Sportsman Class

I am considering running in this class next year and I am wanting to know which motor is offered the 604 crate or the sportsman built motor. I was told the built motor makes about 460 HP. Is that accurate.

its according to the rules for built engines, theres some where we race making 600 hp.

Everything is steel with a 360 cubic inch max. 3.48 stroke. No porting and polishing. I think they run the vortec heads and hydraulic cam wiht a .460 lift. and track even has a 650 cfm carb rule. Is about 400 hp. on a crate correct.

A good crate should dyno 420+ hp... give or take a little.

with those rules, you are better off with the 604 aluminum head engine.

I have seen both engines on same Dyno.The Vortex head engine is about 4 or 5hp better but I would take the lighter aluminum head 604 any day.By the way they were like 440hp.

Do you mean 440hp. on the crate. I would mainly be running tazewell, 411 and maybe a trip or two to smokey mountain or voulunteer speedway.

Yes,new 604 or rebuilt 604 will make about 442hp and the vortex will be about 448.Of course on another Dyno they may read higher or lower depending on whose Dyno it is.

What about something like dart heads that are steal will they do better than a vortex head.

Don't think anything but vortexs are legal.

I will probably be doing a 604 crate, I was leaning towards a eagle performance from Knoxville, tn. Do they build a good piece and how is there customer service. If I did the steal built I was thinking on a DJ Performance from Morristown, Tn or a Vic Hill engine. Same question on these builders.

the basic theory behind the crate "604" engine is inexpensive , how ever , i have found this to be untrue, its still based on what you want to spend, there are some builders that are more enlightened on squeezing every ounce of power " legally " out of the crate, but you will pay dearly for there knowledge . The built engine can also fall int this category , but , there are some good parts you can use that have come down in price lately , probably because of the advent of the crate engines, I feel that with the right parts, you can out perform the crate engine with a built engine for a lot less than that top of the line crate engine cost. I build engines so im a little prejudice , LOL , so this is JMO , good luck.....by the way, im a fan of vic hill , they build very good engines...