Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The case against running the primary feature as the last race of the night

http://insidedirtracing.com/the-case...-of-the-night/

Here is my list of reasons why dirt tracks would be best served not to run their primary feature last.

This is one of my pet peeves. Everything you mentioned is true so why run last unless the promoter is looking to squeeze every last penny possible from the fans.

A track can't be any more disrespectful to the fans than running the headliner last. They're basically telling us that "we have your money and we're going to squeeze every last penny from you, and we don't care if you see a good race or not so we're going to put as many laps on the track as possible before we run the race you all came to see. Carl Short has been doing that for years. And that is why Farmer City's Summernats race was a complete joke.

Quote Originally Posted by GEAR_HEAD View Post
    A track can't be any more disrespectful to the fans than running the headliner last. They're basically telling us that "we have your money and we're going to squeeze every last penny from you, and we don't care if you see a good race or not so we're going to put as many laps on the track as possible before we run the race you all came to see. Carl Short has been doing that for years. And that is why Farmer City's Summernats race was a complete joke.
    Well said.

I have no problem with the headliner being ran last. IF the track runs an efficient program and doesn't run six classes.
    I'm also a firm believer that during a week night show, such as the Summernationals, it should be mandatory that the feature be on the track ready to roll by 9:30.

Peoria Speedway is one of the biggest offenders. They will run E V E R Y T H I N G (5 classes not counting LMs back in April) before the Late Model feature on special nights.
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

On the other side. Headlining drivers start leaving after their features. How many kids (the future of our sport) want to go meet the drivers. If the drivers keep leaving less and less kids become interested in our sport. Our sport dies. NOW also if you are running a "big show" (10k or more) there should be no more than 3 classes. If you are running a big late model show and a big supporting class show(mods most of the time) 2 classes max. Run an efficient show no reason for you to run 3 classes and not have features on the track untill 11pm.

Headline class needs to be first period. My 7 year old loves racing, but if the late model feature doesnt take the track by ten he is out. Also if anyone drives over two hours to support a track, why have them stuck there all night. When a track has an elevated purse for a class thats who your fans came to see.

the late models may or may not be the very last race of night lot of tracks run them ahead of modified hornets and pure stock and some will run the pure stock before and modified and hornets after it all depends

The author makes a solid case for his reasoning in this article. I understand the need for back gate revenue and if that's what will keep tracks financially solvent then we're for it. But, when fans set at a track feeling like they're being held hostage waiting for the headline division they came to watch it can offset the the benefit of the back gate for future races. There is one track in particular in our area that schedules events in which the headline division is the only class we care to watch. This track regularly runs 4 and 5 support classes even with a special show and as often as not the headline division was the last or second to last to take to the track for their A-main. This track lost our group as patrons as a result of that policy. These days we will attend events at this track but we contact them well in advance of the event to check the sequence of the A-mains. If the headline division A-main is any later than 2nd in the order of progression or if they refuse to give us a definitive answer we will not attend. This particular track must have gotten the message because they now usually run the headline division 1st or second.

IMO, for special events (Lucas Oil, WoO, etc.) the support classes are there for just that.."to support" the show. To keep fans from staring at an empty track during the necessary breaks in the LM program. I am in favor of time limits in support divisions too. I have seen a few lower division crash fests, that ran a 20 lap feature for over a half hour.

This is my preferred order of events. 3 classes, including Headliner. Favorites would be local late models, and modified.
    SLM Hot Laps
    LLM Hot Laps
    Mod Hot Laps
    SLM Qualifying
    LLM Heats (No qualifying for support classes...too many extra laps on track)
    SLM Heats
    Mod Heats
    SLM B Mains
    LLM B Mains (If not enough cars in either division...run LLM feature in place)
    Mod B Mains
    SLM Feature
    LLM Feature
    Mod Feature

Everyone quick to blame the tracks and promoters.
    Anyone ever stop and think that maybe the series are dictating the running order of the nights events?

one of the tracks we attend has a rotating system for the classes they run, unless its a big show.

What about starting hot laps at 5:00 or 5:30 instead of 6:30?

Quote Originally Posted by ClampedUp View Post
    Anyone ever stop and think that maybe the series are dictating the running order of the nights events?
    You raise a valid point, Clamped. This may well be the case in some instances. When the series is dictating the A-main sequence it's safe to say that can become a sticky situation. If it's a lucrative series the track surely doesn't want to step on any toes by going public on social media stating their situation to their fans that aren't happy with how how the event went off. A situation such as that would put track management in an uncomfortable situation. We've recently seen what a sanctioning body can do to a track that they've become at odds with.

Tell the drivers in the drivers meeting that when their class is called, they have 5 minutes to be in line......not 5 1/2 minutes but 5 minutes. If you are not there at the specified time, you can not race and lose your entry fee. If you don't think that will work, just give it a try.
    You can train a monkey so I'm guessing you can train a driver.

Quote Originally Posted by jog49 View Post
    Tell the drivers in the drivers meeting that when their class is called, they have 5 minutes to be in line......not 5 1/2 minutes but 5 minutes. If you are not there at the specified time, you can not race and lose your entry fee. If you don't think that will work, just give it a try.
    You can train a monkey so I'm guessing you can train a driver.
    Seen Earl do exactly that at Eldora more than a few times at the Dream and World 100.
    Didn't matter who you were either......

Hell. If its about that last hot dog. I would gladly pay them that extra $2 up front to save 2 hrs watching all the spin-fests, laps on the track. Farm City killed me. They waited like 5 mins for a car who wasnt lined up in time. He was having mech troubles all night. After all the wait, he was still running like crap and couldnt even complete the parade lap. Thats what we all waited for.

I always had a 9:30 cut-off in place... never started a feature after that time nor any b-main or consi after 10PM...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ClampedUp View Post
    Ahh, the blame game. Does it make any difference, when the sun comes up on your way home? That makes it a lot easier. We get to keep the track and dump the series.