Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scaling

Default scaling

When scaling the car,are you suppose to pull the left axle fisrt? Or doesn't it matter.

pull it then set it on scales or pull it while on scales, doesn't really matter. Its just to take the bind out

OR raise it with the middle of the axle and set it down on the scales. Way easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    OR raise it with the middle of the axle and set it down on the scales. Way easier.
    jeez why do you post stuff like this just trying to lead people in the wrong direction? I suppose thats a strategy.

it will bind as you set it down the lr moves forward or back inches..

I have never had much trouble with consistency leaving axles in. I know what you are "supposed" to do. It is probably because my scale pads are free to slide.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Masterbuilt, I dont understand why you always feel the need to post after me... 8 minutes later. Ive been gone for how long? 2 months? and here you are, like a needy puppy. In this case your posting for nothing, since you have your scales on rollers or greased plates on top of them.

Everyone should cut some alum plates 12x12 and put some grease between them to set on top of all 4 scales, its cheap and served me well for 20 of my 22 seasons of racing. Beware though that a fat buddy leaning on the car will push it right off the pads!!

Quote Originally Posted by stock car driver View Post
    Masterbuilt, I dont understand why you always feel the need to post after me... 8 minutes later. Ive been gone for how long? 2 months? and here you are, like a needy puppy. In this case your posting for nothing, since you have your scales on rollers or greased plates on top of them.

Everyone should cut some alum plates 12x12 and put some grease between them to set on top of all 4 scales, its cheap and served me well for 20 of my 22 seasons of racing. Beware though that a fat buddy leaning on the car will push it right off the pads!!
    Heaven forbid I try to explain something to someone that might like to know another way.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

jeez why do you post stuff like this just trying to lead people in the wrong direction? I suppose thats a strategy.

it will bind as you set it down the lr moves forward or back inches..
    I wonder why you feel the need to degrade everyone. Why do you always have to be right and others wrong? Why do you feel the need to project your own insecurities onto others and claim your superior? Are you narcissistic or something? If you don't like my idea don't respond or better yer put me on your ignore list. That's what adults do who are good at being an being adult just in case your parent's didn't teach you that.

On my car, when I pick up the rear end in the middle, under the pumpkin, both tires off the ground 2.5 inches, slide the 2" scales pads under, set the rear down, I can slide both axles out with ease because the weight of the chassis is still on the suspension so the rear axle isn't moving forward or backwards any appreciable amount and it's clearly not bound up as evident by scaling numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizardracing View Post
    I wonder why you feel the need to degrade everyone. Why do you always have to be right and others wrong? Why do you feel the need to project your own insecurities onto others and claim your superior? Are you narcissistic or something? If you don't like my idea don't respond or better yer put me on your ignore list. That's what adults do who are good at being an being adult just in case your parent's didn't teach you that.

On my car, when I pick up the rear end in the middle, under the pumpkin, both tires off the ground 2.5 inches, slide the 2" scales pads under, set the rear down, I can slide both axles out with ease because the weight of the chassis is still on the suspension so the rear axle isn't moving forward or backwards any appreciable amount and it's clearly not bound up as evident by scaling numbers.
    you must scale with zero stagger, not push on your car to settle the suspension or roll it forward and back to settle everything.

OR ACTUALLY perhaps the FACT that you dont even have a modified, so you have no idea what 5-6 inch of drop and 2-3" of rear steer does? I know youve posted here and there quietly that you supposedly race asphalt, not sure why your posting on here on every class of car but thats your prerogative. Ill come back every few months just so the poor new guys, though it appears they are far and few between now wont be lead to far astray.

your long reply doesnt mask the fact that your giving out just plain stupid advice so your either that ignorant or your trying to sabotage complete strangers by telling them stupid things.

I know over the years Ive asked you for pics and results etc. and youve never produced any so guessing your just on here to screw with people.
    Last edited by stock car driver; 08-02-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Heaven forbid I try to explain something to someone that might like to know another way.
    What "other" way? There is no mention of a other way in your post.

you must scale with zero stagger, not push on your car to settle the suspension or roll it forward and back to settle everything.

OR ACTUALLY perhaps the FACT that you dont even have a modified, so you have no idea what 5-6 inch of drop and 2-3" of rear steer does? I know youve posted here and there quietly that you supposedly race asphalt, not sure why your posting on here on every class of car but thats your prerogative. Ill come back every few months just so the poor new guys, though it appears they are far and few between now wont be lead to far astray.

your long reply doesnt mask the fact that your giving out just plain stupid advice so your either that ignorant or your trying to sabotage complete strangers by telling them stupid things.

I know over the years Ive asked you for pics and results etc. and youve never produced any so guessing your just on here to screw with people.
    Your so far off in the weeds you don't know how ignorant your sounding. I mean it seriously.
    I will tell you, I've been Drag Racing, Dirt racing and building hot rods for 38 years. Had some success in UMP, USRA, USMTS, and Super Late Models either as a driver or just hired hand. Won some, lost many many more. I've worked for UMP and USRA as well. I prefer to be humble than scour the internet looking for adoration and acceptance of superiority so I don't post pics and results. I'm happy where my life has taken me and where it's going. Are you? Sure doesn't sound like it from over here.
    I'll leave it up to others to decide if my idea's and/or advice is worth anything to them. Your compliance and acceptance of them need not apply.

As far as scaling, I've done it both ways. I've noticed a small difference in a few pounds. A few pounds. Maybe some driver some where can tell the difference but most can't and those who can aren't likely to be on here asking for our approval of "What's right and wrong" anyway but instead looking for ideas to make their specific program work better for them. It's dirt racing.....many many ways to skin that cat.

Do any of you unhook shocks when scaling a car?
    My sarcasm is a pre-emptive strike to your stupidity!!

Quote Originally Posted by usafracer View Post
    Do any of you unhook shocks when scaling a car?
    I dont use a "traction shock". So I don't have to worry about that one. I do remove rebound from the rf. With a mod, you don't have the first one either. You probably want to unhook an aggressive rf shock.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 08-03-2017 at 01:03 PM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

A great man in my life had a great saying...."you cant argue with a brick wall, idiot, or a jackass"! I think scd is all 3!

Sorry for the hi-jack!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

On my car if you jack it up in middle of rear end w/ axles in it goes into a bind as car comes down on scales.i always pull axle and done side at a time put Jack in middle of car roll both scales under tires move to other side do same that way grain scales can float side to side. By the way I have seen up to 25# difference with axles in if you don't think it can bind put it on scales with axle in and then unbolt it and see how much it twist when unbolted.

Agree RW57. Maybe all cars don't react like this, but my does the same thing. Besides, I pull axles to grease the splines anyway.

I use baby powder on my rear scales. Tire slips real easy, never binds.

I put my scales on vinyl floor tiles to let them slide and protect the underside of the scales. I remove the left side shocks and pull an axle. I don't measure ride height with the shocks on anyway, so I may as well remove them when scaling.

Scale it how you race it is my rule. We have pads to roll the car off the scales so we can roll it backward onto the weighing surface. You roll it backwards onto the scales to simulate the cars initial action. If you don't race it with an axel in it I'd scale it that way. Jmo
    Shocks by BGR army

just do it the same way everytime. its more see if something is way out of wack. you dont race it at ride heights. i used to scale before every race, now maybe once a month. its all about getting the attitude in the car at race speed. if the right front is high in the corner lower it. if its on the RR to hard raise it. just my 2 cents, works for me might not for anyone else. I dont think anyone is wrong, but you should do it the same way everytime
    Chris Zogg