Default Rf shock settings

Does setting the rf shock setting to full stiff create a tie-down effect-- ie. Slow the rate of"pop-up" of the shock -- also what is the effect of setting the compression to full stiff have?? I'm trying to get the action of shock settings in my head-- thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by LIS20 View Post
    Does setting the rf shock setting to full stiff create a tie-down effect-- ie. Slow the rate of"pop-up" of the shock -- also what is the effect of setting the compression to full stiff have?? I'm trying to get the action of shock settings in my head-- thanks in advance
    Rebound or compression, stiffer means it takes more force to move the shaft at a given speed. Shock force is a function of shaft speed.

If you slow it enough, the amount of travel seen on the track can be changed significantly. Most cars have a lot of rebound on the RF these days to keep the nose from popping up suddenly when you accelerate. This is needed because typical spring rates are half what they were 20 years ago. This is accomplished in the lower shaft speeds. When the shock is switching from compressing to extending on the track, the instant it switches direction, it is moving relatively slowly. So, shocks are built to be stiffer in rebound in the zero to 2"/sec speed range compared to old linear shocks.
    Last edited by MasterSbilt_Racer; 08-02-2017 at 06:00 AM.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Rebound or compression, stiffer means it takes more force to move the shaft at a given speed. Shock force is a function of shaft speed.

If you slow it enough, the amount of travel seen on the track can be changed significantly. Most cars have a lot of rebound on the RF these days to keep the nose from popping up suddenly when you accelerate. This is needed because typical spring rates are half what they were 20 years ago. This is accomplished in the lower shaft speeds. When the shock is switching from compressing to extending on the track, the instant it switches direction, it is moving relatively slowly. So, shocks are built to be stiffer in rebound in the zero to 2"/sec speed range compared to old linear shocks.
    very good assessment , when going to this set up , bump stop or 2 stage , shaft speed is critical....

I agree with both responses. Anybody that is still subscribing to the idea that shocks are just for fine tuning a setup, is likely lapped traffic. With the increased dynamics of the cars these days, even small shocks adjustments can have a drastic affect on the balance of the car.