Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Passing Points/Double Heats

How does this format work? Is it better to start up front or say mid pack in a heat..Is it possible to win your heat and not make the a main?

Announcer said you could win a heat and still not make the main. The second heat will be inverted so I guess it's best to guess it's best to do the best you can in both for passing points.

I go to the DTWC most years, they employ it for that show. I don't care for it at all, but a bunch of people do.

You get the most points for winning the heat race regardless of who passed how many!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

No event should ever qualify!! Big waste of time, passing point heats is way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dirt View Post
    No event should ever qualify!! Big waste of time, passing point heats is way to go.
    Agreed!!!!!

Anywhere but the first or last rows.

It would be easier for fans to keep track of if the same cars raced each other twice. That's what makes it confusing for most.

The best way to understand this double heat/passing point system is just go by average finish. A driver with a 2.0 average finish isn't gonna start better(or have more points) than a driver with a 1.0 or 1.5. The way the system is setup it's just not mathematically possible. Now 2 drivers with the same average finish can have two different point totals. That's because the system gives 1.76 per car pass and has a 4 point finishing position spread.

Depending on the number cars,heats and the cut off(taking 16 or 18). A driver can win a heat and still not make the show. If the race has 5 heats per round it's almost a guaranteed lock or front row of the B if you win a heat. 6 heats per round, better finish in the top 5 of your other heat. The DTWC has 8 heats, you'll like need to finish 3rd in your other to get in.

Yes, it is possible to win your heat and not have the most points from that heat. If you start 7th or further back and get 2nd. You'll score more points than the winner if he started on pole.

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    You get the most points for winning the heat race regardless of who passed how many!
    Doesn't work that way. A 4th place finisher can end up with more points than the winner.

That is not even remotely true.

Totally agree.

I thought McCreadie would of had a higher points total than he did. He passed a ton of cars in 1 of those heats.
    8/13/16

Quote Originally Posted by fryefan View Post
    That is not even remotely true.
    I read that from one of the races last year. Im pretty sure it was the SDN.

That's BS then, whats the pole guy supposed to, drop back and pass cars! the WINNER should always get the most points! smh
    Last edited by a25rjr; 08-12-2017 at 09:17 AM.
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

I read that from one of the races last year.

That's BS then, whats the pole guy supposed to, drop back and pass cars! smh
    It doesn't work like that. The polesitter is supposed to pass several cars in the heat that they start last in. It's really that simple.

The pole sitter must win his heat, or at the least finish in the top 3 to keep himself equal for the 2nd round. Falling back much more than that, better hope for a soft heat or a really fast race car to gain what ya lost in 1st round, or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Highside Hustler25 View Post
    I thought McCreadie would of had a higher points total than he did. He passed a ton of cars in 1 of those heats.
    Thats what i thought also. He started last in his heat and finished like 4th or something
    THE REAL SLIDING SIDEWAYS!

T mac did exactly the same thing the guys just in front of him did. Won a heat, passed a bunch of cars in his next heat. He ended up tied for 3rd in points.

Passing points has it's flaws too. You can get stuck with very very stacked heat race with top drivers. You cant really pass no one because of how strong that heat. Mean while another heat only has one or two top driver in it and pass up all the weak driver up.

Example last night round 1.
    Heat 3,4,5, was the most stacked fun. You can debate which was stronger. While 1,2,3 was pretty strong. I have to say heat 5 was most stacked, alot hard coming from the back to the front.

Round 2 heats they dropped the ball. That 3rd heat was weak as hell. Soon I seen that heat line up, I said Scott should easily get 3rd maybe 2nd. Depending on how good bobby runs in that heat.

You can get lucky like Scott last night. He started on first row, 90% of times he going win his he heat when starting on first row. Then he gets the weakest heat of the night. They shoulkd just said we going put Scott on the pole rest of y'all race it out lol.

I was more impressed with other drivers that had come from the back. That only got up to 4th or 5th because how the odds were stacked against them, because of caliber of the heat. Some drivers had race stacked heat in round 1 and round 2, While others not so much.
    Last edited by Kwd1253; 08-12-2017 at 10:52 AM.

Passing points suck for the very reason this thread was started, people have no clue how things are calculated, qualify run heats top three or four go to feature rest to semi.

Quote Originally Posted by ptown View Post
    Passing points suck for the very reason this thread was started, people have no clue how things are calculated, qualify run heats top three or four go to feature rest to semi.
    I couldn't disagree more. The heats are very entertaining and you get twice as many. You want your favorites to pass as many as possible. Pretty simple.

Plus, racers get in the show. Not qualifying experts.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2