Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rusty Schlenk

I think he is also running for ALMS points... If so, Jon Henry will be at Eldora for the World and he is leading the ALMS right now over Schlenk who is 52 points behind.

Rusty gets win #19 tonight in Farmington, MO.

Truly incredible what rusty has done this year. Eldora must not be awarding ump points all three nights like they have in the past.

Yes, they are rewarding UMP points all 3 nights. It's that Unzicker is 2nd in UMP points and he's out in the midwest racing so Rusty had to follow suit. Some might say he's "cherry pickin" but I call it paying the bills trying to win a $20,000 points payout.

Quote Originally Posted by ThebigE View Post
    Yes, they are rewarding UMP points all 3 nights. It's that Unzicker is 2nd in UMP points and he's out in the midwest racing so Rusty had to follow suit. Some might say he's "cherry pickin" but I call it paying the bills trying to win a $20,000 points payout.
    Very well put. People who call, "Cherry Picking" aren't paying the bills. Just like the Red Barron, you want to be successful you choose the fights you think you can win, not to show off your balls.
    I was a highwayman
    Along the coach roads I did ride
    With sword and pistol by my side
    and I am still alive

Rusty won again at Farmington MO last night!

I guess you can call it whatever you want. How many cars were at francois county speedway last night?

doesn't matter. there is only 1 winner. and it was the CJ1car.
    I don't have a dog in this fight, but I remember back in the late 90's early 2000's the UMP Modified championships were won with a lot of feature wins, and a lot of them with not very many cars in attendance. Points Racing, per say.
    I believe that is why UMP made the bonus point systems.
    but a win is a win
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Without having a dog in the fight, and personal opinions aside, I get doing what you can to win any type of championship, let alone a national one, but I often can't make sense of the distances traveled to some of these races. I assume this race he won last night (and yes, excellent job) was in the middle of nowhere, not anywhere near his home, yet he passed on Eldora which is in his home state (at least from what I can tell). What did he spend in diesel fuel alone getting to this show last night (which I believe was $2K to win)? He probably would have sold more than that in t-shirts alone if at Eldora. I get the $20K championship award, but over the course of a season with trips like this one, can't that money get eaten up pretty quick?

Once again, not bashing, just trying to better understand the logic in "business decisions" as such.

TheJet09.... I completely agree and not sure if it all adds up in the long run.. He has a couple of crew guys traveling with him that work for him also. So, after you factor in fuel, wages, tires and everything else that makes these cars go around the track. Now, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer but I do understand economics! I guess I don't know what kind of sponsorship money he gets. The CJ1 car he drives he doesn't own so I don't think it's a lot of money out of his own pocket? But yes, when he travels 4-6 hours away to race for $1200 - $2,000 I don't see it adding up either. It makes you wonder if he raced close to home on a weekly basis how much $ he would save from traveling all over BFE chasing these ALMS and UMP championships. He might get $20-$30k in championship winning but pisses all of that away traveling all year long...All I know is Rusty is a great guy, and I always pull for him where ever he runs. I like seeing a small budget guy do well.
    Last edited by ThebigE; 09-08-2017 at 02:51 PM.

Justadddirt, i was just curious on the car count last night. I honestly dont know, maybe a rusty fan can tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    Without having a dog in the fight, and personal opinions aside, I get doing what you can to win any type of championship, let alone a national one, but I often can't make sense of the distances traveled to some of these races. I assume this race he won last night (and yes, excellent job) was in the middle of nowhere, not anywhere near his home, yet he passed on Eldora which is in his home state (at least from what I can tell). What did he spend in diesel fuel alone getting to this show last night (which I believe was $2K to win)? He probably would have sold more than that in t-shirts alone if at Eldora. I get the $20K championship award, but over the course of a season with trips like this one, can't that money get eaten up pretty quick?

Once again, not bashing, just trying to better understand the logic in "business decisions" as such.
    I don't think he went there just for one race....

13 latemodels at SFCR last night.

Ouch.............

Rusty is able to run 3 nights at tracks within a 100 mile radius. He has friends there and a couple of them have bought new cars from him recently. The guy pulls with a beat up truck and trailer. Doing it on a budget. I admire the guy for it, If he get the national championship he deserves it!

Did anyone ever ask the car owner if HE might be the one calling the shots on where they race? Three tracks within 100 miles sounds like a good trip to me... heck I used to travel within my home state with my sportsman car running wherever the pay was best and the car count was lower than the 100 plus I had to race against at home.

And I think that a national series point title will carry a lot more weight in the 2018 sponsorship hunt than "finished 26th at the World 100"....

Plus maybe, just maybe, CJ will kick in some help if one of his 'non-competitive' chassis's wins a UMP or ALMS title...
    Last edited by Krooser; 09-08-2017 at 03:25 PM.
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

The only full time racer who actively competed for the ump title all year. The only guy who traveled three states over to race against 10 other guys multiple times. Yep great advertisement for next year, and still looking for that first crown jewel start. Small budget racer in a house car with a childress engine. Same bs over and over every year.

Unziker went to Belle-Clair to take on Rusty. Over 20 cars tonight on the little bullring.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdirtfan View Post
    The only full time racer who actively competed for the ump title all year. The only guy who traveled three states over to race against 10 other guys multiple times. Yep great advertisement for next year, and still looking for that first crown jewel start. Small budget racer in a house car with a childress engine. Same bs over and over every year.
    Dude, WTF is wrong with you? Every fricken post with Rusty's name in it you feel the need to belittle his accomplishments. First off the CJ1 is not a house car. It's owned by his sponsor. Even if it was a house car, do you think what Rayburn has to offer is remotely close to Rocket, Longhorn or Pierce's programs? Secondly, that Childress engine you keep talking about is over 5 year old technology. It isn't even in the same league as these new wide bore engines. BS over and over? I'll tell you what's happening over and over. Rusty Schlenk having back to back to back double digit wins. Multiple Track Championships, multiple Regional Championships and an unheard-of National Championship from a guy with his caliber equipment. Rusty's TALENT is winning these races, not his equipment. It's evident to anyone who isn't blinded by jealousy and hate. The guy wins in every chassis he's ever had. He had 40 wins in 3 years in a Lazer! Name anyone who had that kind of success in a Lazer? Not Davey Johnson, not Scott James, not Doug Drown. H e l l, not even Bernhiesel's own kid couldn't. He's won in a Pierce and a couple Rockets of his own and Mike Lawrence's. He wins in other guys cars who aren't even close to getting top tens. ( Theibo and Hahn) It's called TALENT !Nowt's move on to the fact Rusty is the complete package as a driver. He calls all his own shots. Every shock spring and bar change. Every tire choice. Every adjustment on his cars. He's a darn good fabricator, welder, and race car mechanic. No big name crew chief, no top of the line engines or cars. Once again he's winning races on TALENT.

Why don't you just admit you hate him because he's kicking the living crap out of your favorite local guys, with lesser equipment, instead of looking like an a$$hole who doesn't understand what you're seeing? You'd have a lot more credibility on here and the people who are unfortunate enough to sit anywhere close to you when you attend races in person.

I dont really have any favorite local guys, and i didnt know there was such a thing as credibility here on the 4m. I do know that the best drivers in the country are at eldora this weekend and obviously the love of your life is not.