Default car? or driver? or both?

02 Masters Wide/combo car

RR on 3" BS wheel to add clearance for tire rub that is common on these cars.

Springs RF 350; RR 225; LR 200; LF 500

Weights: 55.1% Left, 52.3% Rear; 100 pounds bite

Bars in vanilla positions: 1 down both uppers; Lowers in top holes, short RRL;

5th coil 300, 2nd hole out.

406 engine steel block, 650-700 hp.

Car literally will not rotate. Turns in okay after I let off throttle. tap brakes, rear will NOT come around. Will stick to bottom or middle groove of corner but rear will not come around at all. By the time I get the throttle applied enough, it's too late and it feels like it just wants to snap loose like it's going to spin out. Video of the car literally looks like it is a pavement car, and one that pushes at that, as I can't get into the throttle soon enough. Then, once I get going, it buzzes the tires halfway down the straight. Was able to get car to rotate a bit with a hard stab of three wheel brakes, but it wouldn't hold for me to get it to work right.

Do I just have no idea how to drive? Is my low rear percentage that detrimental? Is the 3" BS wheel hurting me? Stiffer 5th coil?

1/3 mile moderately tight flat oval (Eriez Speedway, PA)

get rid of the short rr lower, run the standard length bar there, put the 5th coil out to 34-36 inches from the center of the rear end to the center of the shock bolt (bottom of the shock) if it still won't turn in lengthen the rr bars 1/2 inch
    if it won't turn in with the 52 rear, i wouldn't add to it
    and where are you running the 3" bs wheel?
    does the car have the correct rear end in it???
    Last edited by grt74; 08-29-2017 at 12:29 AM.

Let's see the video, then it might be easier to tell if you need to adjust driving.

If I'm picturing the correct chassis, you can cut out a section of the RR frame rail and weld it back in (flip it over) to the inside, and that will give you some clearance for the RR. I would focus on that RR (specifically the need for 3" backspacing) first. You've essentially widened the rearend by 2". I agree with going back to the standard length RRL as well.

At first glance, with the info you provided, I would picture your car having no side bite. But you left out a key piece...what is the J-bar at?

If the car already won't turn in moving the rr tire 2 inches further under the car isn't going to help, if anything it will make it worse. Do you have any stagger in the car ? That place gets slicker than hell, I only went there once but I was way loose on entry..

Raise the j bar 1'' to 2'' on both sides.
    Drop front springs 25lbs both sides.
    Add rear steer at the r/r

If there is no bumpstop, this car has to be bottoming out.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Ballast placement could also be an issue.
    Gotta have body roll if you want hike.

I'm going with masters, been long time ago but always had pair of 500's up front. Think lowest on rf was 450 with 650lf. Those cars were tough to get going

I was happy when we junked out ours....a long time ago. This is an old car that requires old school setup/thinking, soft RF just isn't going to work. Does it have the lr coil behind the axle? I recall ours made a great drag car but didn't turn well compared to the Narrow car that replaced it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim11h View Post
    I'm going with masters, been long time ago but always had pair of 500's up front. Think lowest on rf was 450 with 650lf. Those cars were tough to get going
    I second that.
    I was a highwayman
    Along the coach roads I did ride
    With sword and pistol by my side
    and I am still alive

Put a panhard mount on the right side mirroring what is on the left. Run a straight bar over to the right side of the pinion mount, as high as you can get it. Aim for the 14 to 15" range in length. It will steer great.

500lf 475rf
    175lr 225rr

55% left 55% rear
    120# bite
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Finally got to the car today.

The J-bar: Pinion side level with center of pinion. Frame side: There are four holes. Mine is one down from top.

The RF is absolutely bottoming out. This probably explains everything I was experiencing.

So, should I go through everything you mentioned, Masters? Or, do you think if I:

Change RF to 475
    Change 5th to 350
    Put regular length bars LRL and RRL
    Put some ballast to bring Rear % to 54-55, I should be good...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dfhotlm33c View Post
    Finally got to the car today.

The J-bar: Pinion side level with center of pinion. Frame side: There are four holes. Mine is one down from top.

The RF is absolutely bottoming out. This probably explains everything I was experiencing.

So, should I go through everything you mentioned, Masters? Or, do you think if I:

Change RF to 475
    Change 5th to 350
    Put regular length bars LRL and RRL
    Put some ballast to bring Rear % to 54-55, I should be good...

Thanks
    You can try what you have there first. It should help a lot.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

What's the length of your lower bars?
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

By the way, my LR spring is behind, with dummy in front. Let me know if that changes your spring recommendations. Thanks

I only seem to have a 10" 475 around. Is this okay? Or do I need to run a 12 on the RF?

Quote Originally Posted by dfhotlm33c View Post
    I only seem to have a 10" 475 around. Is this okay? Or do I need to run a 12 on the RF?
    That should be OK for a 475 rate.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

something else that i seemed to recall was i think we had to square rearend up in car by pulling RR ahead. car was always loose and this got it back under control.

if you can come across jerry bowersock phone # try getting in touch with him. he had them things running pretty darn good back in the day