Thread: 602 vs 604

Default 602 vs 604

Has anyone had luck running a 602 in ump crate late models vs all of the 604 engines? I am not sure the 100 lb weight break would make a difference or not.

IMO the 602 will never be the way to go. The weight breaks are hard to take advantage of and still get % where you need them. We race RUSH and the 602's are allowed to run with the 604's. 602 has 200# weight break, larger spoiler and softer RR. They are somewhat competitive if track gets really slick.

just hang on, im sure they will do like down here and create a new class just for the 602....

Imo, the 602 is only adequate when everybody has to run a 602. The 604 has a roller camshaft with significantly more duration, so it has quite a bit more topend power when compared to the 602.

Down South there now a 602 only class.

When crates started and d55s were the only tire allowed we won a lot of races against 604s. When the tracks opened up the tire rule to sell more tires you had to have a 604.

We went from running up front with a $3000 engine and buying a right rear tire every 6 races to having $10,000 in blueprinted and bolt on stuff and buying tires almost every week to have a chance to win. Then came the shocks so after a year of spending big money we sold it all.

Soft tires in crates makes for go kart type racing. No passing because everyone is running wide open. I can't tell you the last time I went to a local race. It has been years. I am not the only one.

The 602 class started with good intentions. Hard tires but some racers complained. Now they are allowing multiple compounds and guys are showing up with Longhorns.

Fans only want to see good racing. Crates should only be on hard tires. Hard tires made you use some brakes and you had to be a lil easy on the throttle even with a crate. I guess the promotors make more from selling tires than selling tickets to fans.

here in NW ohio ive seen a 602 compete and have top 5 & top 10 finishes with UMP full blown lates as well as ALMS. fremont speedway, attica raceway and oakshade raceway

602 class started with good intentions but has already went the way of 604s with cheated up motors trick shocks etc once again a great idea goes to hell in a hand basket us racers we can't control ourselves as we do it to ourselves and then complain about cost when all we gotta do is look in the mirror.

i can agree with your statement rw57.