Thread: Bert?

Question Bert?

Was wondering what advantages a bert ball spline transmission has over the standad bert transmission? If there is a big advantage, can you swap out tail shafts? How many different versions are there? Which one to run or not use. Thanks for any advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Was wondering what advantages a bert ball spline transmission has over the standad bert transmission? If there is a big advantage, can you swap out tail shafts? How many different versions are there? Which one to run or not use. Thanks for any advise.
    Since the 8" yokes been available, I see no real advantage to the ball spline. Before it was mostly due to travel because yokes where way shorter at the time and if you hung them back far enough to get lots of travel they tended to vibrate or wear out bushing in the tail housing due to lack of engagement.

The yoke, is cheaper, less maintenance, and safer in a driveshaft failure. Nothing wrong with the ball spline, we still use them but I just see NO advantage to them for the most part and if had to buy a new trans would opt to just get the standard with an 8" yoke.

My 2 cents worth....