Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Knoxville Nationals Reduced to 80 Laps

Per Lucas Oil-

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

BATAVIA, OH (September 1, 2017) - The nation's top dirt late model drivers will soon converge on the prestigious Knoxville Raceway in Knoxville, IA to tackle one of the most highly anticipated events of the Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series season. The 14th Annual Lucas Oil Late Model Knoxville Nationals - Presented by Casey's General Store will take place Thursday-Saturday, September 14th-16th.

The grand, half-mile speed-plant provides some the finest high-speed, door-to-door racing action in the country. The size and speed of Knoxville Raceway, coupled with today's LOLMDS racecar holding approximately 30 gallons of fuel, along with new safety measures requiring all dirt late model fuel cells to be filled with safety foam on the inside, reduces the volume of fuel in each LOLMDS racecar.

After carefully evaluating the entire fuel situation, officials of Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series and the Knoxville Raceway have agreed to shorten the $40,000-to-win finale to 80-laps. "The Knoxville Late Model Nationals is such a prestigious event," said Rick Schwallie, Lucas Oil Late Model Dirt Series Director. "Rather than allowing a lack of fuel decide the outcome of the race, we wanted to give every race fan the opportunity to witness their favorite driver battle all the way to the checkered flag."

"The premise of the Lucas Oil Late Model Nationals weekend has always been for drivers to race hard every time they are on track," said John McCoy, Knoxville Raceway Promoter. "We wanted the fans to enjoy that same excitement during Saturday night's main event."

The 2016 Lucas Oil Late Model Knoxville Nationals Champion, Mike Marlar will return to defend his title. "In a race of this magnitude, it's great to know that fuel will not be a factor in the outcome. Now we can race hard all the way to the end."

considering how many cars ran out of fuel during last years race, it's a totally understandable and well thought out decision IMO.

Sucks that it's not a 100 lapper, but just goes to show the size difference in half miles / fuel consumption from track to track.

Quote Originally Posted by vande077 View Post
    considering how many cars ran out of fuel during last years race, it's a totally understandable and well thought out decision IMO.

Sucks that it's not a 100 lapper, but just goes to show the size difference in half miles / fuel consumption from track to track.
    I'm surprised they didn't just do fuel stop. Say the first yellow after lap 30 cars can add fuel on the front straightaway. and if there has not been a yellow by lap 60 to throw a yellow.

In the grand scheme of things I don't think its that big of a deal, it seems to work ok at I-80.

Seems like a logical decision considering the circumstances.

This is so lame. One of the unique aspects of that race was who's gonna make it to the end, we don't get that much in DLM. I imagine younger guys complained because they couldn't run hammer down the whole way and make it. Bunch of sissy's.
    I was a highwayman
    Along the coach roads I did ride
    With sword and pistol by my side
    and I am still alive

Quote Originally Posted by tiger View Post
    I'm surprised they didn't just do fuel stop. Say the first yellow after lap 30 cars can add fuel on the front straightaway. and if there has not been a yellow by lap 60 to throw a yellow.

In the grand scheme of things I don't think its that big of a deal, it seems to work ok at I-80.
    Oh good. Stage racing

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    Oh good. Stage racing
    You do realize they do a fuel stop for the sprint Nationals? I guess that's stage racing too.

I'd rather they do a fuel stop then cut laps. At the same time its just as much about strategy as going fast.

Now do the same for the Sprint car Nationals please Knoxville.
    NO RED FLAG FUEL STOP.
    Thanks in advance.
    Grumpy old dirt track fan. Anti-Sanction. Anti-Social. Anti-Media. Anti-SocialMedia. Anti-Climatic.

I personally think this is Bull$h!t. You should be able to go 100 green laps with enough fuel. All you have to do is during the 2nd or 3rd natural yellow of the race is throw a red and let everyone top off.

If it's a real wreckfest maybe you have to do this 2 or 3 times, but so what?

Saturday only was already pretty much not worth going to. (Now if you were there all 3 days for the build up it'd be fine, talking you can only make Saturday.) Now it is a fore-gone conclusion if you can't make the prelim nights just stay home and watch PPV or catch highlights.

C, B, and an 80 lap A only action on Saturday is sad.
    "The Wise One"

Quote Originally Posted by brsteg View Post
    I personally think this is Bull$h!t. You should be able to go 100 green laps with enough fuel. All you have to do is during the 2nd or 3rd natural yellow of the race is throw a red and let everyone top off.If it's a real wreckfest maybe you have to do this 2 or 3 times, but so what?Saturday only was already pretty much not worth going to. (Now if you were there all 3 days for the build up it'd be fine, talking you can only make Saturday.) Now it is a fore-gone conclusion if you can't make the prelim nights just stay home and watch PPV or catch highlights.C, B, and an 80 lap A only action on Saturday is sad.
    100% agreed... 3 races for $35 just doesn't cut it for me. I went last year for first time but I felt a bit robbed on Saturday. It's hard to justify that when big E has the amount of races they do on a Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    Oh good. Stage racing
    This is not quite stage racing. Back in the alcohol days, fuel stops for 100 lappers were common.
    In fact, I remember reading the racing ads in some of the dirt track papers. They'd specifically call it out as "NO FUEL STOP", since it varied so much.

I have no problem with fuel stops. I don't think there should be any other maintenance allowed, or tire changes. Just fuel, but I'm ok with that.

I could take or leave having a fuel stop during any race, but unfortunately last year probably made this decision easier as only 7 or 8 cars made it to the end on fuel and even those running barely made it.

If I have to choose between watching 80 laps of everyone giving their all the entire race or 100 laps with the first 50 or so laps of everyone just riding around to save gas and waiting for a caution to bunch them back up, I'll go with the 80 laps everytime.

The Pittsburgher is 100 laps, and PPMS is about the same size as Knoxville in the groove. They don't have any fuel issues. Why is there such a difference?
    Last edited by Josh Bayko; 09-01-2017 at 10:12 AM.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    The Pittsburgher is 100 laps, and PPMS is about the same size as Knoxville in the groove. They don't have any fuel issues. Why is there such a difference?
    West Virginia Motor Speedway ran plenty of 100 lappers and I can't recall a time where fuel was an issue. Maybe once but not certain. WVMS is way bigger than Knoxville. Actually bigger than the 5/8 mile they claimed it to be.

The pace seems to be faster the last few years. Guys running around the top which measures close to 5/8s miles. Last year was the first year I remember any wide spread fuel issues since when they had a fuel stop 5-6 years ago. I think it was when Moyer swept the weekend.

If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Sure, there was some that ran short o fuel, last year, but it was a matter of choices that put them in that position. It's another case of changing the game, after the tickets are sold. If there is a 20% cut in laps, will there be a 20% rebate on all advance tickets sold? Some people like the strategy of a 100 lap race. Make it 100 laps and let the racers figure out how to make it that far. Some ran out last year, but the top finishers didn't. Same rules.

This is going to change a lot of strategy in this race and eliminate some of the passing done by guys that took new tires early in the race and had to start in the rear. If they change tires or add fuel, they go to the rear. There is more to racing than flat footing. Some just have trouble seeing it. This will eliminate Shirley's run from last to first, Stewarts run from last to 6th, and Birky wouldn't have caught Bloomer for the last lap pass. But some people could screw up a one cow cattle drive.

Knoxville is one track where you can flat foot it, and most others you can't. They have a choice, in the gas or finish the race. You have to finish to win. Some don't get that, now Knoxville and Lucas oil seem to have joined that group.

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdirt View Post
    You do realize they do a fuel stop for the sprint Nationals? I guess that's stage racing too.

I'd rather they do a fuel stop then cut laps. At the same time its just as much about strategy as going fast.
    And it sucks big-time. It ruins the flow of the race.

This is a good move on their part.

Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaf67 View Post
    Now do the same for the Sprint car Nationals please Knoxville.
    NO RED FLAG FUEL STOP.
    Thanks in advance.
    Agreed. The fuel stop thing is bad.

They could install bigger fuel cells. Cells have gotten smaller the last few years. Or just realize last year is likely not the norm.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1