Thread: PPV or live!

Default PPV or live!

Since I live in the deep South, the only super racing I watch is through ppv's. There seems to be a big disconnect between the two. Take the W100 for example. many of you have said it was a fairly entertaining race, but from the race I saw, it was not. I don't have a problem with a driver leading every lap, that's why they race. To royally kick every other racers rearend by lapping them all if possible.

It seems to me theres a big disconnect with the announcers and the cameramen. The announcers are screaming 3 wide and the cameramen don't pan to it in time. I don't understand if its a technical problem or lack of the proper equipment to do the job when showing it live.

I respect the heck out of DoD and Lucas Oil for what they do, but I think it can be better!

How bout it Rigsby or Shelton, am I spot on, or am I not understanding how live tv works?
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

The announcers are calling the race live as they are watching it, the camera crew are shooting what they feel are the best action, and often times are not the same. Perhaps the announcers should call it from ppv monitors? That would be tough because there are various camera's, and they switch... Think of watching a race live, and listening to the announcers, are you watching what they are talking about?? DOD does a great job!!! I would like to see a pre race show with various drivers on a casual set, and not the pre race track prep, but thats me....

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    Since I live in the deep South, the only super racing I watch is through ppv's. There seems to be a big disconnect between the two. Take the W100 for example. many of you have said it was a fairly entertaining race, but from the race I saw, it was not. I don't have a problem with a driver leading every lap, that's why they race. To royally kick every other racers rearend by lapping them all if possible.

It seems to me theres a big disconnect with the announcers and the cameramen. The announcers are screaming 3 wide and the cameramen don't pan to it in time. I don't understand if its a technical problem or lack of the proper equipment to do the job when showing it live.

I respect the heck out of DoD and Lucas Oil for what they do, but I think it can be better!

How bout it Rigsby or Shelton, am I spot on, or am I not understanding how live tv works?
    Great constructive criticism. The announcers add some flare to try and make it more interesting, but it seems like a ear bud or a director could get that camera off the lead or favorite driver. It has to be communication and something that they didn't think about. Some times the 4 wide is two side by side and two close. Sometimes when we are at the track, we miss some good stuff, by focusing on something else.

One thing that might help is, they have multiple cameras. Put one of then on the back markers that are marching threw the field and play it during the cautions or after the race. Some of the last to first movers, never get seen till they are in the top 5. They are something to see. Guys like McDowel and Simpson was putting on a show at the Big E, but most PPV guys said no passing.

First off, thanks for the feedback in a positive manner...it's definitely appreciated. I'll try to help out best I can...

The tough thing about announcing with a PPV at this level is, unlike NASCAR & other sports, we're also calling the races for the crowd at the track. Of course, we don't want to dismiss those watching at home, but at these big events the crowd watching the races in person FAR surpasses that of those watching at home.

With limited resources at these PPVs, there's often not enough "hands" or "bodies" (so to speak) to help make sure the stream is running smooth, the camerafolk capture every battle, questions are being addressed, the announcers are being informed, etc...on top of producing, directing, etc

I've announced for several different PPVs and, honestly speaking, DirtonDirt does the best of anyone when it comes to riding that fence between what us announcers are talking about and where the cameras are pointing...often times even going as far as to add a second screen showing another battle/race on the track.

For me personally, I try to split the difference the best I can. I try to keep an eye on the monitor as much as possible...but it's tough to rely on that the entire time. Likewise, if there's a good battle going on somewhere in the pack that the cameras aren't on, I'll do my best to give it a little lead in by saying the car #'s and the position at stake. It is TOUGH for the camera people who have the announcers barking non-stop in one ear and a director barking non-stop in the other ear.

I absolutely agree that, in any broadcast of any sport at any level, there's always things that could be done better on all ends. But in terms of our sport, the resources at hands, and everything that is happening...I think DoD does a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) good job at what they do.

Thanks again for the constructive criticism and feedback...and thanks for watching the broadcast.

DJ

quality product

Quote Originally Posted by DustinJ14 View Post
    First off, thanks for the feedback in a positive manner...it's definitely appreciated. I'll try to help out best I can...

I've announced for several different PPVs and, honestly speaking, DirtonDirt does the best of anyone when it comes to riding that fence between what us announcers are talking about and where the cameras are pointing...often times even going as far as to add a second screen showing another battle/race on the track.

For me personally, I try to split the difference the best I can. I try to keep an eye on the monitor as much as possible...but it's tough to rely on that the entire time. Likewise, if there's a good battle going on somewhere in the pack that the cameras aren't on, I'll do my best to give it a little lead in by saying the car #'s and the position at stake. It is TOUGH for the camera people who have the announcers barking non-stop in one ear and a director barking non-stop in the other ear.

I absolutely agree that, in any broadcast of any sport at any level, there's always things that could be done better on all ends. But in terms of our sport, the resources at hands, and everything that is happening...I think DoD does a (not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word)(not a nice word) good job at what they do.

Thanks again for the constructive criticism and feedback...and thanks for watching the broadcast.

DJ
    DJ, I mean this in the most positive connotations and spirit. The best PA or PPV announcer I've ever heard doing racing events is a gentleman by the name of Scott Daloisio. Scott does the PA work for Perris Auto Speedway in Perris, California. In addition to being at Perris numerous times we've also watched many internet PPV events where Scott was doing double duty as you described above. How he covers the action on the track and what is on camera at any given moment in the race is beyond me. But then again, the next race I announce will be my first. However, it's obvious that Scott splits the commentary nearly flawlessly.

I'd suggest to all announcers to watch some of Mr. Daloisio's work on video and get a feel for what he'd doing and how he's doing it. As I said, I know nothing of announcing, I just know that his style and technique nearly universally appeals to every spectator I've ever spoken with who's ever listened to him work. I've yet to hear one soul denounce his work.

I've done the PPV a couple times, what I don't like is you see what they show which is usually the top 5
    or top 10 so if you want to watch a car in the back or maybe one you think will be passing from the rear it's not going to happen on the PPV deal.