Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jackson 100

Quote Originally Posted by Phatdaddy View Post
    A good response that I remember reading was that the straightaways are not banked very much, meaning that to run the top you had to climb a hill in the turns. Very difficult when the tracks dries out. Not a racer, but kinda makes sense to me.
    They added a lot of banking to the straightaways two years ago. Have you been there lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dirt View Post
    Not totally flatten it, just take about half of what is there. From what I've seen its top dominant now, so basically same problem. I go to Kokomo a lot, their banking is about right too. There's enough banking to make it even with the bottom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    They push the tires out too far in the bottom and don't water it generally. It's like they don't want cars running down there.
    Agree with both of you. Kokomo is a good example, and I think Fairbury is very similar. I almost consider them sister tracks. Both keep the tires pushed way in on the bottom where it is very flat. It makes it nearly impossible to get any kind of momentum running that groove, but it is significantly shorter around than the top. The top side on the other hand has enough banking that you can stay on the throttle longer and keep your momentum up, but it is a much longer way around than the bottom. It evens the playing field and offers two grooves that teams can set up for. It also lends well to driving in hard on the bottom to throw a slide job, and countering that if you are running the top by turning down and using your momentum to power off the turn under someone that tried the slider. The result is orgasmic. Even on nights when the prep isn't perfect (and I've seen it at both tracks), the racing is still competitive because of the configuration. It makes the promoters look like a genius.

I think Macon is similar also, but it is so small to begin with that the bottom is really hard to run since it is so short around. Brownstown could easily do this by moving the tires on the bottom in and adding some banking to the outer edges of the straightaways. That would allow drivers to power around the bottom or use the momentum running the top. 2 distinct grooves, plenty of opportunities for passing, and a better show for the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Phatdaddy View Post
    A good response that I remember reading was that the straightaways are not banked very much, meaning that to run the top you had to climb a hill in the turns. Very difficult when the tracks dries out. Not a racer, but kinda makes sense to me.
    Not trying to pat myself on the back, but that was me.

Quote Originally Posted by hoosier race fan View Post
    I've been there a few times and I would have to agree. I think it's just the configuration of the track more than anything else. It's very difficult for cars running the top to get any momentum because the straightaways are so flat. The banking in the corners is basically just dirt piles they put at the end of the straights like a track somebody builds for their kids in their backyard. The reconfigured Lawrenceburg is very similar. When they banked it they didn't raise the straightaways, so when you run the top you are really going uphill. It makes it tough to make that line work, and you really have to be a lot faster than anyone you are trying to pass that is running the bottom. Brownstown has some really good events, but the actual racing just doesn't seem to be that great for a lot of those events.

Nothing at all wrong with the track layout. Sounds like a bunch of people that have never been there talking crap about a place they have never been to or seen. So many untruths have been said in this thread. The banking is great, turns and straights.
    I, myself, am looking forward to the weekend.
    Scott Kleindorfer

Yep your right, I haven't been there in quite a few years. I wonder why? Also been known to make some BS calls. Hell the announcer even left one night!!

Quote Originally Posted by golddirt View Post
    Yep your right, I haven't been there in quite a few years. I wonder why? Also been known to make some BS calls. Hell the announcer even left one night!!
    I remember that, I don't regret it
    Chris Nunn
    812-320-7435
    transitionaddress@hotmail.com

Lol. How ya been Chris? You still at twin cities ?

Quote Originally Posted by golddirt View Post
    Lol. How ya been Chris? You still at twin cities ?
    Yessir. Off tonight. Currently sitting at brownstown. Gilpin just almost broke the track record in qualifying. 12.829 in time trials.
    Chris Nunn
    812-320-7435

Not a speck of dust. Btw.
    Chris Nunn
    812-320-7435

Great news. High time!

Seen they had 11 lates for $2000. 2 finish on the lead lap??

Is there anywhere near the track to take showers? Do they allow coolers and alcohol in the grandstands? Do they allow golf carts to ride around the campgrounds and through the pits after the races?

Save your money and go somewhere else. The track sucks......

Be nice if Brownstown could update their lights. Every time I go there it seems to be so dark A driver even told me that. Remember watching some televised Brownstown races and the darkness really showed on TV.

As far as showers not real sure. Coolers and alcohol are allowed. Always see tons of golf carts and 4 wheelers there and not just race teams.
    Scott Kleindorfer

The current layout of the track has not produced very good racing. I guess if you like to see hammer down on the high side, then go ahead and go. That, to me, isn't good racing. I wish some fans would take into consideration the racers pocket book. When tracks are heavy all evening long, it sure isn't good on the weekly racer. Black slick, from tires to the top, in my opinion, produces some of the best racing. We could sit here all night and go back and forth on this topic. You just have to go and judge it for yourself. Everyone likes something different. But keep in mind, if it wasn't for those racers, you wouldn't have anything to watch. The average Joe (weekly racer) doesn't have deep pockets or big time sponsors...................................

Guess what, it's been black from top to bottom all season, maybe not last weekend. That's why this paying customer is not there.

I'm looking forward to the weekend! Two nights of racing action restored... The way the Jackson 100 was meant to be ran! Would be really nice to see a non-feature winner race again on Friday, but I'm not complaining. Should be a good field of cars (although expecting the car counts of old just isn't going to happen anymore). If the dust stays at least moderated through the weekend and the track prep crew can work 2-3 race worthy grooves in the track it should be an action packed weekend! People can say what they will... when Brownstown Speedway track prep is right, it makes for news worthy racing action the country.

I know i will never be back at brownstown. Been there twice, both times too many classes of cars, poorly ran races, and absolutely no passing in the late model feature. Only reason i got back on 4m was to tell people what i thought about the dog crap show brownstown put on last year.

It's a good atmosphere plus the weather forecast is looking good!