Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rumley question

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    The sport was built on guys building stuff in their shop. Yes, simple mechanical things built with simple tools are much different than $18k shock absorbers. I call it as I see it. You can't sit and say there was something wrong with what Kevin did while Richards has Keyser build him an air spring in secret.
    The Rocket air setup is actually cheaper than conventional shocks. There is a pretty big difference between than that and inerters.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Rumley's device increased mechanical grip which enabled Davenport to pass cars overcoming the current issues of the Areo dependant dirt late model. Areo grip vs. Mechanical grip he found a way to make mechanical grip pass cars and win. So he finds a way to lessen the Areo advantage that the elite teams had and the powers to be banned it. Didn't seem to me that in 2015 that Davenport's car was Areo Dependant.... considering it didn't matter where he started front row or back row he could pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    The Rocket air setup is actually cheaper than conventional shocks. There is a pretty big difference between than that and inerters.
    Correct. That isn't my argument there. It was ran in secret when things must be approved first.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Correct. That isn't my argument there. It was ran in secret when things must be approved first.
    How are you so sure it wasn't approved by the WoO?

The issue that my mb is trying to get across is not the cost but the availability. Rumley was outlawed because he was the only one that had it and would not share it. Rocket had a shock that no one else could get it. Why do you think Clinton left Integra and went to Penske.

Rocket gets away with it but that is ok. Lucas has been hypocritical but it seems afraid of Richards. He should have been banned for physically confronting the guy at Ocala because if someone pushed him or Josh they certainly would have been banned.

Hello all,Long time lurker on this site. But tonight I decided to join to ask probably dumbest question could somebody please explain how Rumley device actually worked and what it did for LR? Was it LR bite, transferring weight etc? I apologize if this was discussed millions times over for past two years but I couldn't find answer anywhere. Thank you guys.

Inereters are not 18k, lol. And if anyone here had a set, how much do you think you'd gain with that alone? You'd probably be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrosis View Post
    Inereters are not 18k, lol. And if anyone here had a set, how much do you think you'd gain with that alone? You'd probably be disappointed.
    Look on Penske's site. Inerters are absolutely 18k.

Again with silly question. This is first time I saw term Airshocks. Is this new tech, only on XR1's? Obviously there legal or else this whole forum would be talking about them just wondering guys thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by CKmotorsports0 View Post
    Again with silly question. This is first time I saw term Airshocks. Is this new tech, only on XR1's? Obviously there legal or else this whole forum would be talking about them just wondering guys thanks.
    Not new technology they have been around for some years now in other various motorsports. Just new to dirt late model application. Rocket chassis is charging what I feel is a inflated price but typically you could find them elsewhere for about 30 - 40 % less than the common shocks that they run.

Quote Originally Posted by CKmotorsports0 View Post
    Hello all,Long time lurker on this site. But tonight I decided to join to ask probably dumbest question could somebody please explain how Rumley device actually worked and what it did for LR? Was it LR bite, transferring weight etc? I apologize if this was discussed millions times over for past two years but I couldn't find answer anywhere. Thank you guys.
    The basic concept was it was able to maintain LR wheel load in the car to increase traction. The device was copied by other manufactures. The problem everybody had with the device was nobody knew how to adjust it except for Kevin Rumley.
    JUST MY OPINION OF COURSE

It enabled the car to have extreme drop on the left rear and controlled the amount of rear steer and that created more drive. You can only shorten the right side bars so much. It was just another crutch.

Quote Originally Posted by backwaterusa View Post
    It enabled the car to have extreme drop on the left rear and controlled the amount of rear steer and that created more drive. You can only shorten the right side bars so much. It was just another crutch.
    No. It was an actual solution. The air shocks and other crap are the crutches.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

There won't be a solution until there is a different rear suspension.

Quote Originally Posted by bb14 View Post
    Rumley was outlawed because he was the only one that had it and would not share it.
    Pretty sure the Moyers also had it, along with Jesse Stovall..... Stovall was actually pretty successful running it, he figured it out himself after seeing it on Moyers car. Seems that if a guy wanted to invest the time they could figure it out. It's a shame that everyone wants to buy things these days instead of putting in the work....

Thumbs down

You're arguing with a bunch of "Snowflakes" and they will never understand individuality or thinking for ones self. When they make arguments like, "Rumley wouldn't share" it's a lost cause and they do not understand racing, they have been brain washed by the collective public education system. They don't feel comfortable without authoritarians dictating their choices. Equal pay and redistribute the wealth and all that, you know.
    I was a highwayman
    Along the coach roads I did ride
    With sword and pistol by my side
    and I am still alive

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    Look on Penske's site. Inerters are absolutely 18k.
    Lucas Oil Late Model Drag Racing Dirt Series? They don't list everything...

I have to agree with Mastersbuilt. Mechanical ingenuity has always been part of all racing, since the guy drove that wedge in the transverse spring. BTW, that is where the term wedge came from. Most guys are too young to remember, but you made your own race car. After market parts was not an option. It was a lot cheaper and there where more racers. Tech for sale is why we lose racers. Not enough sponsors, willing to make a bad advertising investment. God love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubstr View Post
    I have to agree with Mastersbuilt. Mechanical ingenuity has always been part of all racing, since the guy drove that wedge in the transverse spring. BTW, that is where the term wedge came from. Most guys are too young to remember, but you made your own race car. After market parts was not an option. It was a lot cheaper and there where more racers. Tech for sale is why we lose racers. Not enough sponsors, willing to make a bad advertising investment. God love them.
    In house fabrication for late model is thing in pass almost. Like you said owners, drivers ECT. Rather buy it. Then have no clue how get 100% function out of it. That the problem I see the most. Lot stuff can be done in house and if they build it themselves, they can really understand the function of a part.