Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Aero/downforce

It's been since the 1990's since I've been involved in dirt late model racing, both hands on and economically. You guys who are economically involved and/or work in the sport are way out of my league in regards to knowledge and tech savvy. However, aesthetically as seen from the grandstands, the dirt late models of the last 10 years or so have evolved way off the charts.

The amount of rear steer and the way the right front wheel hangs a foot beyond the right rear and the valence is 8 inches shorter on the right front as compared to the left front has caused me and some in our group to change how we look at dirt late models these days. In addition, half the left rear disappears forward of the wheel opening upon acceleration. I'm sure all this makes them faster and legislating this stuff out of the cars may be impossible, as well. But from a dirt late model loving bleacher jockey's point of view this stuff has made the cars less appealing, at least to us. I'm guessing the costs have greatly escalated as a result, too.

I want the guy who has the best car for that night..the guy that set his car up with the best mechanical grip..I dont want to hear about clean air or dirty air in dlm racing...

Quote Originally Posted by Illtsate32 View Post
    I want the guy who has the best car for that night..the guy that set his car up with the best mechanical grip..I dont want to hear about clean air or dirty air in dlm racing...
    That guy did win last night. Any type of vehicle at speed creates aero disturbances. Aero issues have always been a part of racing we just didn't understand it... these cars today are less disturbed in traffic than the cars from a few years ago. Just more so called experts that think they have the answers...the racing last night was awesome at Knoxville but it's because Knoxville is the best track period for racing. It's why I go every year. I would miss others but not Knoxville.

I would give Eldora a 7 for racing last weekend and Knoxville a 10+

Quote Originally Posted by racer x16 View Post
    flat interiors could help also I THINK
    I'm a little late replying, but this is the same thing I've thought all year. these cars now have the decks dished out 4-6 inches. They are getting a lot of extra spoiler because of it.

Also enforce the deck height rules post race. I saw them going through doing it prerace at knoxville and they had to push down on about 1/3 of the cars to get them to pass before the race. Post Race when Marlar was not inside his car it looked like it would have been 4 or 5 inches high. The only thing I can think of to help the LR's getting so high in the air would be to make them Run a Shorter Shock on that corner.

Quote Originally Posted by onlyfacts View Post
    That guy did win last night. Any type of vehicle at speed creates aero disturbances. Aero issues have always been a part of racing we just didn't understand it... these cars today are less disturbed in traffic than the cars from a few years ago. Just more so called experts that think they have the answers...the racing last night was awesome at Knoxville but it's because Knoxville is the best track period for racing. It's why I go every year. I would miss others but not Knoxville.
    5 years ago, guys didn't get aero push.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    5 years ago, guys didn't get aero push.
    Sorry to disagree but they did... It just wasn't something that was talked about like it is now. With DOD and PPVs you can go back and see what happened 5 years ago we didn't have much video to critic what caused the push.
    Last edited by onlyfacts; 09-17-2017 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    No fear the UDLMC will safe the day! lol

They already tackled the suspensions. lol Remember most if not all the sanctions in the UDLMC are sponsored by shock companies

Up next is aerodynamics and a couple small changes to address it according to Stan. SMH

http://bluetoad.com/display_article....=409995‬
    Your right they pretend to do things and then do the opposite of helpful, like politicians.
    I was a highwayman
    Along the coach roads I did ride
    With sword and pistol by my side
    and I am still alive

I would like to see the Late models go back to running about the same car as back in 94/95 now that used to be some sho nuf good racin back then
    I am what I am

Quote Originally Posted by rickybrown1952 View Post
    I would like to see the Late models go back to running about the same car as back in 94/95 now that used to be some sho nuf good racin back then
    Agree 100%. We had great racing and suspension diversity.
    I was a highwayman
    and I am still alive

Sorry to disagree but they did... It just wasn't something that was talked about like it is now. With DOD and PPVs you can go back and see what happened 5 years ago we didn't have much video to critic what caused the push.
    It just isn't that mysterious of a phenomenon...
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

People weren't talking aero push 5 years ago. People had tunnel vision. They were more worried about downforce and sticking the car to the track. Wind tunnel test gave data for clean air over a single car. Nobody was worried about anything else.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ctrp-...n-wind-tunnel/
    Mike
    I hate the Steelers more than I hate the Buckeyes !

Facebook

Tire dope talk was the craze before this aero push business. "my tire sealed up" was code for i put too much venom juice in it. Now you hardly ever hear someone mention a tire sealing up. Aero push is the flavor of the week. Yes the bodies are out of hand. No i don't think the sanction bodies are going to do anything. The speed difference between an IMCA car and an IMCA car with a 6in spoiler is a lot, so much so you that the crate isn't enough anymore.

Take the spoilers off is a cheap start since its obvious they don't want to enforce anything.

Heck let's just go back to the 84 to 86 camaro bodies, tires outside the fenders, flat floor interiors. Close the backend of them up so it acts like a parachute.

Some on here need to have their memories refreshed!

I've been on dlm teams since 1988, and have been to tracks from Florida to Tennessee. The racing today is 10x better than ever! More times than not, the racing is 2 wide! The lr spring behind changed racing for the better. Now, the cars can be driven around the track instead of breaking the rears loose to make them turn.

Yall can have the old school days of racing......Ill take todays version!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    Some on here need to have their memories refreshed!I've been on dlm teams since 1988, and have been to tracks from Florida to Tennessee. The racing today is 10x better than ever! More times than not, the racing is 2 wide! The lr spring behind changed racing for the better. Now, the cars can be driven around the track instead of breaking the rears loose to make them turn.Yall can have the old school days of racing......Ill take todays version!
    I Agree with you 100%. People forget how bad the racing really was. Today's dirt late model has its own identity. If you want to watch street stocks most local tracks still have that class. The current dirt late model has become recognized as a top level class of racing in America and some other countries.
    Last edited by onlyfacts; 09-17-2017 at 09:37 PM.

I've been on dlm teams since 1988, and have been to tracks from Florida to Tennessee. The racing today is 10x better than ever! More times than not, the racing is 2 wide! The lr spring behind changed racing for the better. Now, the cars can be driven around the track instead of breaking the rears loose to make them turn.

Which version Super, Crate, Limited ect.

Why is there a need for so many classes of the same type of cars....
    Mike
    I hate the Steelers more than I hate the Buckeyes !

Facebook

Lightbulb Stop and look around, listen...

I Agree with you 100%. People forget how bad the racing really was. Today's dirt late model has its own identity. If you want to watch street stocks most local tracks still have that class. The current dirt late model has become recognized as a top level class of racing in America and some other countries.
    You 2 need to wake-up and smell the coffee. No body has said they aren't FAST & EXCITING, they are, but... The cost of your excitement is leading to the death of the patient, no different from using cocaine or meth. Sure you can have the night of your life with illicit substances, but if the price is your death in the morning, what good is it? We want longevity, vitality and health for the sport, not an un-natural jolt that leaves it dead for all time... Do you not see the symptoms? Does it not trouble you the string of retirements from top to bottom all sighting the costs in both time & money as to why? I've been active in DLM since 86' and this course is unsustainable and unhealthy, period. We had popularity greater than F1 in the 70's, before the wedge came along and nearly killed it. Now here we are back at the same juncture.
    I was a highwayman
    and I am still alive

Im with you 25, ive been around dirt racing since the 70s and i guess i still love speed , and technology creates speed , there is no answer to the rise in cost , its the nature of the beast . on my budget , i have doubts my self some times, but me and my 3 kids just get out there in the shop and work harder because if you really love it , you will keep digging and there just getting started in racing and in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    You 2 need to wake-up and smell the coffee. No body has said they aren't FAST & EXCITING, they are, but... The cost of your excitement is leading to the death of the patient, no different from using cocaine or meth. Sure you can have the night of your life with illicit substances, but if the price is your death in the morning, what good is it? We want longevity, vitality and health for the sport, not an un-natural jolt that leaves it dead for all time... Do you not see the symptoms? Does it not trouble you the string of retirements from top to bottom all sighting the costs in both time & money as to why? I've been active in DLM since 86' and this course is unsustainable and unhealthy, period. We had popularity greater than F1 in the 70's, before the wedge came along and nearly killed it. Now here we are back at the same juncture.
    What you don't understand is that air is cheap.... bodies will cost the same..what won't cost the same is the technology and engineering that comes with tighter rules. It's what has caused the problem now. About 2-3 years ago Lucas and WOO starting making suspension rules so engineers where hired to counter act the rules. That caused the prices to rise. Then safety rules came last year and created another burden for low budget teams. If they continue to make rules the people with the most cash will be the last ones standing. Your way of fixing things is why we are at the point we are. WOO and Lucas are killing this sport one rule at a time. Everyone wants tire rules I talked to a couple teams that say they buy more tires now with tire rules than they did when it was open tire rule. And have you ever seen so many flat tires like there was Sat night at Knoxville.. I asked a crew chief after the race why all the RFs blew out.... he said because of the tire rule. At some point we need to understand they are making the problem worse with rules.