Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aero/downforce

Default Aero/downforce

Wonder what took these guys so long to see this. Too bad they didn't have the foresight to see where the sport was headed years ago. It's almost like they had tunnel vision and couldn't see what was happening around them. SMH

https://racingnews.co/2017/09/15/ste...odynamics/amp/
    Mike
    I hate the Steelers more than I hate the Buckeyes !

Facebook

I love your Sig. #WhoDey

Good article.

Air is for breathing, not for racing. It's going to be a sad day when Steve Francis retires.

Sounds like he's voicing his opinion out of frustration because he hasn't run all that well this year regardless of body panel measurements, aero and what not.

Aero is a double edged sword. It is the cheapest speed in racing, however, it tends to lead to raised expenses in other areas of the car.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by MI Dirt Fan View Post
    Sounds like he's voicing his opinion out of frustration because he hasn't run all that well this year regardless of body panel measurements, aero and what not.
    I thought with the talk of retirement if he didn't find a sponsor it was more of a money thing then anything. Over the last several years many have walked away do to cost, while people keep searching for answers how to reduce cost with the latest tire rule that will save racing! SMH
    Mike

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    Aero is a double edged sword. It is the cheapest speed in racing, however, it tends to lead to raised expenses in other areas of the car.
    Not to beat a dead horse but people should have listened years ago. It wasn't that hard to see the direction things were headed all you had to do was open your eyes and look around, but It was too easy for some to blame it all on the economy back then I guess.

Let me guess.... you can't change aero now because it will obsolete parts people already have SMH
    Mike

Facebook

Id like to see em go back to the wedge car. I mean if their gonna run a 'throw back' race why not have em run a wedge car too?
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber45 View Post
    Id like to see em go back to the wedge car. I mean if their gonna run a 'throw back' race why not have em run a wedge car too?
    They are running the #ModernDayWedge going back to the old school wedge isn't going to solve anything.
    Mike

Facebook

good article , thanks for posting it mike, and he is right about the street stocks also , i know a lot of people only see the late models when they go , but if you think about it , or at least at our track, a lot of times these street stocks put on a better show....

Its called technology!

Now the racers know to get the front down and the rear up. No matter what rules are passed, they will figure a way to make it happen.

So in essence, the more rules that are passed, the more money, teams will spend!
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by a25rjr View Post
    Its called technology!

Now the racers know to get the front down and the rear up. No matter what rules are passed, they will figure a way to make it happen.

So in essence, the more rules that are passed, the more money, teams will spend!
    Bodies are a cheap way to fix the cars. Bob Memmer did it. We got here by allowing companies that make body parts to essentially write the rules. Enforce body rules from 2005 and take the spoiler off. Racing would improve tremendously.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse but people should have listened years ago. It wasn't that hard to see the direction things were headed all you had to do was open your eyes and look around, but It was too easy for some to blame it all on the economy back then I guess.

Let me guess.... you can't change aero now because it will obsolete parts people already have SMH
    Most rule changes do obsolete parts and tend to actually raise cost. You'd obsolete the noses and some body braces with a body change, but most guys are buying new ones before each season anyways. They'd just be buying a different nose instead, so I don't really see an issue with body changes. Something as simple as making them go to solid sail panels would even help some.

Wouldn't change the fact that development of new ways to take advantage of the only thing in racing that is free would commence, and everybody else would do the same, and eventually we'll be right back here. The big money teams have ruled over the sport of auto racing since day one. No amount of rule changes is ever going to stop that.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoshBayko

Guerrilla Racing Junkies!

They are running the #ModernDayWedge going back to the old school wedge isn't going to solve anything.
    So taking that lip off the fenders like the old wedge wouldnt change the aero?
    If I havent offended you please be patient Ill get to you as soon as I can...... and yes Im a Bloomquist fan...deal w it!!! WWG1WGA!!!

The Areo thing is easily fixed with a few 2 inch holes around the deck and a straight splitter. My guess is, they don't want to fix it

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bayko View Post
    Most rule changes do obsolete parts and tend to actually raise cost. You'd obsolete the noses and some body braces with a body change, but most guys are buying new ones before each season anyways. They'd just be buying a different nose instead, so I don't really see an issue with body changes. Something as simple as making them go to solid sail panels would even help some.

Wouldn't change the fact that development of new ways to take advantage of the only thing in racing that is free would commence, and everybody else would do the same, and eventually we'll be right back here. The big money teams have ruled over the sport of auto racing since day one. No amount of rule changes is ever going to stop that.
    You have to enforce the rules don't allow it to get out of hand. That's why we are where we are now nobody wants to enforce the rules a little tweak here a little tweak there it may not be with in the rules but hey it looks cool. If someone gets away with it the next guy pushes it further and the next guy further until it gets out of hand..
    Mike

Facebook

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Bodies are a cheap way to fix the cars. Bob Memmer did it. We got here by allowing companies that make body parts to essentially write the rules. Enforce body rules from 2005 and take the spoiler off. Racing would improve tremendously.
    I am no Steve Francis, but I have been b!tching about the bodies and the direction they were heading since 2006. All anybody ever wanted to talk about was tire rules and how the latest tire would safe DLM racing SMH
    Mike

Facebook

You have to enforce the rules don't allow it to get out of hand. That's why we are where we are now nobody wants to enforce the rules a little tweak here a little tweak there it may not be with in the rules but hey it looks cool. If someone gets away with it the next guy pushes it further and the next guy further until it gets out of hand..
    Bingo!

The cars continue to evolve every February when tech doesn't have the balls to make anyone fix their bodies. I have a 2011 MasterS sitting in the garage. I have to remake the decking and T bars to make the body even competitive right now.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 2

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber45 View Post
    So taking that lip off the fenders like the old wedge wouldnt change the aero?
    Yes the elephant ears are part of the package. They aren't alone though. You would still have the nose planted the rear hiked up with a big spoiler out back and a wide body to generate massive down force. It's still a wedge effect
    Mike

Facebook

I'm sure Mastersbilt racer doesn't mind the fact that a car with the proper stance and body is 2 seconds faster than one without . After all his car would smoke the field at the world 100 since he's " an engineer " he just doesn't want to make the pro racers feel bad. In fact if you make a straight afco 4 valve right front and a 600 lb spring and max ground clearance of 6" the rule he could engineer the car to go 2 seconds faster than they do now ! But his engineering fix would cost 5 mil per car just ask him and he'll tell you. Steve Francis is absolutely right , but all of You experts who maybe have a few wins at moler in a heat race know the sport much better than a Steve Francis