Thread: 602 fuel

Default 602 fuel

I called a reputable carb company and told them I want to run a 602 with the box stock 4412 per my rules. I asked what fuel they recommend and the cost of a build. They said to run 87 octane cuz that's what the motor is designed for not to use race fuel or e85. And that they had the highest horsepower and torque numbers using 87. I am curious is anybody else running 87 with the horsepower numbers computable to higher end fuels? Is this the proper way to go. Thanks.

Not a crate guy but, it could be possible.I have seen motors lose hp with more octane.It is one of those things that you have to test as every combo is different.If I were using their carb I would follow their instructions.

in a conventional fired engine , meaning a distributor and no efi , its hard for me to belive 87 oct fuel will out perform E85 , isnt the 602 around 10:1 ?

We ran a 13.5 c/r BBC on the dyno with e85 and 110.It made 650 hp with both.The more I think about it the margin of error would be so small,If it was possible I don't think any hp gains seen on the dyno would be worth the risk.

your talking about 110 , not 87 , even on a 9:1 engine , I recommend 93...what i like about e85 is the cost and the ability to run high compression on it.

I had a 602 straight from the crate onto the dyno to be broken in and dynoed. I had a JDR gas carb and an e85 carb from another carb guy. We dynoed several pulls and it came out marginally better (smoother curve and a few extra hp) on no ethanol 93 octane. Possible with a better e85 carb it would have been looked better but it is marginal at best on a 602.

I too would think e85 would out perform pump gas i think the key is getting right carb combo.While my motor is no 602 if runs against them it's a 4 eyebrow flat top hyper 60 over 487 years cut to 70 Victor if 600 Holley on e85 Howard's 450 lift cam with 1.6 rockers so that makes it 480 or so lift 602 can't touch it. My point being i had a stealth 600 gas Holley on crate 98 fuel motor was good put on e85 it was nite and day difference will not ever go back to gas.Two points a!ready pointed out cost i run pump e85 no problem less than 2$$$ a gallon no cooling problems what so ever 2 blade can on hottest nites races at 200 barely like I said unless something blows me away will not go back.

I have argued this topic on here before and im with you RW57 , the advantages of E85 far out weigh conventional fuel , but thats JMO......

I have only got one bad batch of pump e85 since I changed and it was my fault as I did not have checker. The delivery man apparently put gas in e85 tank I caught it when I got to shop and checked. The store refunded my money and offered to pay for any damage of which there was none i always smell of it before I check it.I put in either marvel mystery oil or atf in cell.When I had a valve guide to go bad i asked my machinist to see if there . was any unusual wear as I ran it over 3 years now he saw none.
    Last edited by RW57; 09-24-2017 at 05:29 PM.

When running e85 do you have to run hotter or colder plugs and what kind of timing difference?

I left everything the same

I didnt change plugs but found I could run a couple degrees more total timing advance on E85 , which made HP.

I did play with timing a little going to 40 degrees total don't know if it helped or not probably did.

Thanks guys

I know its a little off topic but have to agree with the marvel mystery oil in E85. Been running E85 for over ten years and the marvels is a good additive to use.

Always check the percentages of E85 with a tester. In the winter, sometimes it is blended 70% ethanol and 30% 87 octane gas. This is done to help cold starting. Also, alcohol fuels have a tendency to phase seperate. I know this because I work for a fuel supplier.