Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

LM's r a tough deal right now. The cost to run a car is crazy and the pay is the same. I don't know the answer ? The Masters at Cedar Lake changed to USMTS Mods for $50,000 to win and they only got about 65 cars. There was a time at Deer Creek Speedway got 120 USRA A-Mods and 50 drivers came from Louisiana, Texas and all over for the Fall Jamboree. Now 70 cars would be good.

Husker, I think it was a good show and all, but I really do wish they could find a way to get more Racing on Saturday night. If there would not have been a Rain delay Saturday night they might not have had an hour and a 45 minutes from the National Anthem to the Checkered Flag and for me that's not really the bang for the buck.

I don't know about you but I really think they made a mistake moving the race up week. Being the week after the World is hard on fans, and also on drivers. And that statement is coming from a a guy who normally couldn't go when it was at the later date. We are usually combining by then.

I really think Eldora struck gold with they're current format, Its great for fans, you get a ton of racing every night, and good for Drivers, 48 guys make features and get money Fri/Sat and that has helped the car count there too. The format at Knoxville can be really hard to follow for the casual fan. Invert 8 cars in the heats then line them up by points for the feature but invert the top 8 again. I can't tell you how many people around me (cause they knew I'd know why) couldn't understand how guys could win a heat race and then be starting 16th in the feature.

I don't know what the answer is but it wouldn't hurt to do a little tweaking in the format. That being said if they did nothing different, I'd happily be there next year.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger View Post
    Husker, I think it was a good show and all, but I really do wish they could find a way to get more Racing on Saturday night. If there would not have been a Rain delay Saturday night they might not have had an hour and a 45 minutes from the National Anthem to the Checkered Flag and for me that's not really the bang for the buck.

I don't know about you but I really think they made a mistake moving the race up week. Being the week after the World is hard on fans, and also on drivers. And that statement is coming from a a guy who normally couldn't go when it was at the later date. We are usually combining by then.

I really think Eldora struck gold with they're current format, Its great for fans, you get a ton of racing every night, and good for Drivers, 48 guys make features and get money Fri/Sat and that has helped the car count there too. The format at Knoxville can be really hard to follow for the casual fan. Invert 8 cars in the heats then line them up by points for the feature but invert the top 8 again. I can't tell you how many people around me (cause they knew I'd know why) couldn't understand how guys could win a heat race and then be starting 16th in the feature.

I don't know what the answer is but it wouldn't hurt to do a little tweaking in the format. That being said if they did nothing different, I'd happily be there next year.
    Yeah, the Knoxville format is unique. Even I had to remind myself of guys getting there times back for the prelim features. John Anderson went from making the A to the back of B(got passed for 3rd) within a lap because he had a bad TT. That really sucks, imo.

Being the weekend after Eldora probably does hurt. Not directly because of Eldora, but all these regional series start back up again. WoO in the past has been basically done by Eldora/Knoxville. Now they got a 3 race swing because of rainouts this weekend.

I think tweaking the format, throwing some more money into the purse should probably be the first thing to do. Messing around with September dates isn't gonna work for a date change. Probably gotta go to May/June with that.

They should run sprint cars (at least on Saturday) and start filling the place up. They are no where near filling the front stretch.

I would have liked to have seen a support class at East Bay winter Nationals. It does get a bit pricey with 4-5 heats, 1 maybe 2 B mains and a feature.

Quote Originally Posted by fryefan View Post
    They should run sprint cars (at least on Saturday) and start filling the place up. They are no where near filling the front stretch.
    F--- No.

If I wanted to watch sprint cars I would've gone between April and August. God forbid Knoxville have a race that didn't involve the winged wonders.

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdirt View Post
    I think tweaking the format, throwing some more money into the purse should probably be the first thing to do. Messing around with September dates isn't gonna work for a date change. Probably gotta go to May/June with that.
    May-june is sprint racing form WoO, Lucas. And in jun you have the dream. So it would be no different than be after world 100. Tell you truth they are better off doing it after the world 100 than the dream.

Good points by everyone, I think with all the rain we had sort of screwed some time up, I like my races getting done early. I thought about a support class and we used to have IMCA mods a few years back, I enjoyed it and would not mind it again. It is fun to see different types of cars on that big track.

I do however think they need to do some tweaking. I also think they need to bump the pay up. These guys are making money for sure. It was 290.00 for tickets and camping for me and my son.

Quote Originally Posted by huskerdirt View Post
    https://racingnews.co/2017/09/17/tyl...-moyer-sr/amp/

I didn't know they left until Saturday. Oddly enough the T shirt rig was still there and Moyer was there signing autographs, supposedly. This was a home race for the Moyers and they weren't buried that far down in the b main. IMO, they wouldn't leave this race willing.
    This goes back to the Dirt Kings race at Plymouth. Those 2 mixed it up pretty good in the heat race and Moyer didn't like it and bumped Erb afterwards. I give the kid credit, he's not going to back down. He made it clear in tne interview there's no love loss.

Oh and Husker, you do your fair share of hype for I-80 and most of us don't have an issue with it. TUTY likes Cedar Lake, and clearly you don't. To each their own, but every time you two jump on the same thread, it's the same bull$#!@. Husker and Tuty, friends...just like Moyer and Tyler Erb.

Its all according to what the support class is. If it's a good modified race I don't mind but if its street stock or god help fwd 's I just rather just sit there and wait for the latemodels. That's what. I like about the World FInals plenty of racing to keep everybody happy.

I'm kind of both sides here. I've never been to Knoxville, but it is on my list races I want to get too before a croak. As far not having a support class, I'm kind of on both side there. I don't feel like sitting in the stands watching the support class cars spin out and drag out time, but then again I don't mind watching them sometimes either.

The dtwc ran for years without a support class, and seemed like it made the day go by a lot faster than it should have. I'm kinda glad they added the mods to that race. I feel like it gives the place a chance to clear out some after the 100 lapper. So the people that don't wanna sit and watch them can leave in the mean time.

I've also been to a event where the support class should've paid $10 k to win.

Now, I did not mind seeing just two races. I went to see a 100 lap race. The 100 lap race would be good enough for me.

A support class at Knoxville isn't needed. Been there, done that.
    Just a tweaking to Saturdays event to provide more racing for the folks that can make Saturday only.
    I also wouldn't mind seeing the event moved back to the last weekend in September. Back to back with Eldora is hurting Knoxville IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by 427c.i. View Post
    Back to back with Eldora is hurting Knoxville IMO.
    Yes............................
    8/13/16

Hahahahaha
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Two races on Saturday ain't much but one year I went and they had 305 Sprints as a filler class, and I think, to iron out the track between the LM stuff and it was boring beyond belief. Even kids in 1/4 Midgets would have been better.

the need for speed and faster times is a blessing, hell drop Thursday night and go with Friday,Saturday and if needed start a little earlier.

If Vande is anywhere in proximity to this thread and I'm sure he is since it has to do with Knoxville, the only thing worse than a support class to fill time is what they had at the 50th Knoxville Nationals (I believe it was) was a stupid clown driving around in a tiny little monster truck doesn't stupid crap to fill in the time. It was brutal. No offense to the clown, but I hope they never bring back that junk. I'd rather just have silence or even modifieds.

They did have some legends cars doing some racing one year (may have been the same year?), it wasn't horrible. A bit of a novelty but still racing.

I paid around $100 to watch Joe Walsh and Tom Petty play in concert for just over 2 hours. $35 for a couple hours of entertainment at one of the best dirt tracks in the world isn't bad.