Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fastford View Post
    yea, but they spend thousands of dollars to so called cheat , the crates are supposed to be economical so the low budget guys couldn't afford to cheat, therefore the get out run....
    Or, maybe they aren't actually cheating........just better .

Talking about the slm guys.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Nope!!!! No way!!!

Do you fans want crates to put an end to SLM locally and weekly, Just keep supporting them and they will.

Not enough room for both anymore. The Mod class had already depleted the SLM enough. Let alone have yet another class come along. UMP and many promoters are to blame for allowing/creating this.

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton_Wetter View Post
    Do you fans want crates to put an end to SLM locally and weekly, Just keep supporting them and they will.

Not enough room for both anymore. The Mod class had already depleted the SLM enough. Let alone have yet another class come along. UMP and many promoters are to blame for allowing/creating this.
    Exactly my point, those things are the poison pill for super late model racing.

Do we also need DOD by covering them to legitimize these late models in drag?

The crate class was started as a alternative to the guys that could not afford to run with the big dogs. Now the big dogs are taking there 80k slm and dropping crate motors in them and are going out and putting a woop arsh on the guys that thought they were going to be running with guys just like themselves. The purses for the weekly competitor is just stupid. So if there is a higher paying show some slm team goes out and cherry picks. That is just going to lead to guys either getting out altogether or looking at another class. So tell me, who wins ? NOBODY ! Crate racing cann't pull the gate to survive on there own. You have to run as many classes as you can so the pit gate makes up for the small crowd in attendance.

People are always saying the crates are cheating by can never offer proof. The top 3 cars at Virginia motorspeedway we're torn down the bare block and we're legal. The motor fregy finished second with is streaght out of the crate from GM. The success of crate racing in all about corner speed not streaght away speed.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by zach51 View Post
    The only problem is, so many SLM drivers are dipping their toes in the crate money pool now that if DOD didn't slightly cover it, people would be complaining wanting to know how JD or Ronnie Johnson ran in the big crate race, so it is a tough spot for DOD to navigate.

I'll be honest, to 99% of the fans, if you put crate engines in every car that started the World 100 and ran the race again, nobody would notice.
    I'd notice they sound awful. Droning on and on, lap after lazy lap. Vote No.
    I was a highwayman
    Along the coach roads I did ride
    With sword and pistol by my side
    and I am still alive

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Thomason View Post
    Sure, why not? There is a description of each video and I can easily choose to not click any crate races. If they begin doing that heavily, I'd only hope that staff was added so they dont sacrifice a crew that would ordinarily be at some SLM event. Lets film big street stock races while we are at it.

Exactly. You aren't forced to watch crate videos or read about crate races or look at photos from crate races. If you aren't interested, don't look at any of it. Easy enough.
    Some of the bigger southern crate races during the winter also give the site something to cover during the slow months.

the problem with crates in some areas (notice i said some areas) they are just way out of hand, and the owners or promoters are so scared of running someone off they look the other way, i love the idea of cheaper racing but crates are no longer the answer, you have lower classes for a reason, and then just have one class of late models

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by grt74 View Post
    the problem with crates in some areas (notice i said some areas) they are just way out of hand, and the owners or promoters are so scared of running someone off they look the other way, i love the idea of cheaper racing but crates are no longer the answer, you have lower classes for a reason, and then just have one class of late models
    It would help if there were some distinction between Supers and Crates besides the engine. Maybe include a tail piece and/or use the older style noses, otherwise they're just droning, lazy late model posers. Even though a CT525 is technically a crate I don't include it in my definition of crate, to me that distinction falls squarely on 602/604 cars. 525's can put on a good show especially when paired with steel block/head limiteds. JMO
    I was a highwayman
    and I am still alive

The ct525 is the easiest of all the crates to cheat up!!!! You aren't even allowed to protest one. That sure isn't the answer????? Quit worrying about motors and cut tire size in different classes. Put crates on 8" tire!

Go to a 2500 lb weight limit. No adjustable gas shocks. Steel tube non adjustable shocks with a buy rule. seca has just outlawed the air shocks this is a move in the right direction. A spring rate rule would do away with the longhorns and xr1 or any car that runs off the right front. go back to the older cars with a conventional setup that doesn't take a engineer to figure out.

Quote Originally Posted by tsand View Post
    Go to a 2500 lb weight limit. No adjustable gas shocks. Steel tube non adjustable shocks with a buy rule. seca has just outlawed the air shocks this is a move in the right direction. A spring rate rule would do away with the longhorns and xr1 or any car that runs off the right front. go back to the older cars with a conventional setup that doesn't take a engineer to figure out.
    Sounds like somebody needs a superstock. Oh wait no track has more than 10 of those because the fast guy is "cheating"

Sometimes no matter how much you slow em down they still gonna be faster than you.

They do cover them and they should cover them. They are the future of weekly late model racing.

DOD should cover what makes them viable as an ongoing and profitable business. Entitlement seems to pop up in the most unexpected places anymore.

no DoD shouldnt cover them. I run limited late model and dont really care about whats going on with other lower class cars across the country. They already cover crate results under the weekly tab

Quote Originally Posted by THE DOORMAN 4STUHLER View Post
    Nope!!!! No way!!!
    You guys should all choose more wisely when you pick your friends.......y'all hanging with a bunch of cheating sobs apparently.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Quote Originally Posted by tsand View Post
    Be careful with talk like that they frown on logic and sensibility.
    I was a highwayman
    and I am still alive

"Do you fans want crates to put an end to SLM locally and weekly,
    "

The cost of racing has already done that by itself so where have you been? My local track put up a $10,000 to win, unsanctioned SLM race earlier in the season and couldn't even draw a full field of 24 for that kind of money. And that was with a multi-state area from which to draw because of inactivity that weekend. I like supers more than most but have been reading the writing on the wall for quite a while now.

I understand most people would rather see a super race than a crate race. As for DoD, I would like to see them cover the sanctioned races (NeSmith, Fastrak, UCRA, etc.) with video of their features at least. Don't have to include the heats. Also, any $10k or more to win crate race would be interesting to see the video of as well.

I'm a crate racer... would absolutely love to run a super, but just don't have that kind of money or support to do it the way you need to in order to be competitive. I don't have the newest equipment, but we do the best we can with what we have and that's all any racer can do.