Default Contraption? Getting Coolant up to Temp...

So the night time weather is nice and cool in my neck of the woods now, which leads to blocking off the radiator to get the coolant temp up before pulling out onto the track. The issue I'm finding, is that by the time you sit in line for a minute or two, and pull out onto the track and sit even more getting lined up, the coolant temp is right back down to nothing.

Has anyone ever seen, or thought about, a device that could be controlled from inside the c0ckpit that could block the airflow to the radiator? I'm envisioning something like a window blind, with either a cable or electronic motor, that could close the "blades" so to speak, then open them once up to temp. Risky if it fails, yes, but while racing my coolant stays around the 180* mark, so I'm not looking to alter the fan or anything like that.

Could this be the next greatest thing, or has my "Willy Wonka mind" gotten the best of me? Or do the cylinders maintain enough temp that is not directly seen on the coolant gauge for me to even worry?

Radiator shutters are still used today...I drive a 94 bluebird bus with a 5.9 Cummins that has an air operated shutter...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

I know of a great contraption, and it is automatic.... it's called a thermostat! Proper Heating up an engine requires the oil temp to be close to the water temp.

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/krc-1070

Not cheap but can be controlled from your seat.

I have always ran a thermostat in cool weather with out a problem. I think the one I,m using now is an afco.

All excellent suggestions. Thank you!

Buy the high flow thermostat. Afco, stant, Mr gasket all make them. I drill 3 small 1/16" holes evenly spaced around the body. This helps it purge air and avoid temp spikes. I usually run it all season, but I have pulled it out in hot weather.
    Last edited by racer2e; 10-02-2017 at 08:36 PM.

good tip on drilling those holes

I don't know why I didn't even think of a thermostat (duh!). Tunnel vision on my part I guess as I haven't run one in forever, at least that I can think of.

I've only checked out my local asphalt retailer and didn't see any listed. Is there a specific degree (temp) most of you are running, or do they only make one (like the Afco for example)? I also like that gadget TALON75 passed along.

And while on the subject, along with oil temp, is anyone running oil cooler integrated radiators? If so, was there a noticeable increase in coolant temp, or decrease in oil temp, as opposed to not running one?

As always, thanks in advance!

A lot of brodix intakes won't take a thermostat.

Best to keep oil coolers behind the engine for weight distribution and more so for protection from impact damage.