Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 08 smackdown updating

I have an 08 square tube smackdown, was thinking bout getting updates done on it, like a raised crossmember, maybe rear under slung. Is there anything else that should be done, or would it be better off to just upgrade to a newer chassis. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CDNRocket18R View Post
    I have an 08 square tube smackdown, was thinking bout getting updates done on it, like a raised crossmember, maybe rear under slung. Is there anything else that should be done, or would it be better off to just upgrade to a newer chassis. Thanks
    Easiest thing would be to pick up a Gen x type car. They are cheap as hell.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

How are those cars in handling compared to a smack car? And I would assume I would need new front suspension as well

Quote Originally Posted by CDNRocket18R View Post
    How are those cars in handling compared to a smack car? And I would assume I would need new front suspension as well
    They steer way, way, better. You have better ground clearance. You would need spindles and maybe uppers? I would have to check my old setup sheets... The longer Smackdown rf lower is the same length as the Gen X, but the Gen X has two coilover mounts. To be safe, you would need the rf lower too.

I promise you will find it a worthwhile upgrade.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I ran an '07 Smackdown from 2013-2016, then picked up a '14 Gen-X for this year. A night and day difference. The easiest way to describe the difference would be to say the Gen-X practically drives itself. It seems almost that effortless. Much better front end as MasterSbilt_Racer said, and the rearend width and 4-bar lengths are different as well.

What's the difference in spindle heights bewteen the two.... and how about the S7 spindles?
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

How old of a gen x is to old? Any specific years

To add to what Jet said, the Gen LXT can use smack bar lengths or the gen x lengths.

For years, just find a good chassis. They are all pretty much the same.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

I have to second or third what others are saying. Night and day difference. With the old smack front end, if you miss the rotation of the car on corner entry one way or another, you'll fight to get it straight all they way to the flag stand. The GenX is MUCH more forgiving. It steers with the front end from the center off unless you are just way out in left field on setup.

I updated my 08 myself.Getting the rack and bump steer figured out was the hardest part.

Would a smackdown benefit from putting a rear unslung in like the new cars to make them more ridged?

Others probably have a different take, or certainly a better understanding, but I look at anything beyond the rear coilover mounts as merely holding up the fuel cell/body. Now if you've ever stood on the rear bumper with the car on jack stands, you'd definitely see what flex the tail section has. I like the ease of adjustability with an overrail tail section, meaning the underslung part cannot get in the way, with LR droop, etc. I think there was a time when some cars (certain Rockets) were removing the RR underslung.

If not already done, I think the greatest change that can be made to your car (an '08 Smackdown) is raising the center section (where the R&P bolts on). It's not hard to do. You could look into raising the right hand frame rail as well. I planned on doing that next on my '07, but moved on to the Gen-X instead.

is it just being raised up or moved back some as well. Just curious on which way to go

What's an LXT?
    Class of 2019

Thanks Jet... I forgot about that thread.
    Class of 2019

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    What's an LXT?
    Basically, LXT has bolt-in 4 link plates for the bottom bars. Cars will have a T at the end of the serial number.

Smackdown cars use 17.5" upper 4-bars and 15.5" lower 4-bars.
    Gen-X cars use 18.25" upper 4-bars and 16" lower 4-bars.
    The LXT has two rows of holes for the uppers so you can run either configuration but it didn't make sense to put two rows of holes c2c 1/2" apart on the bottom for obvious reason. Hence the blot in plates are needed so that you can run either setup.
    LXT has Gen-X frond end and most everything else about it is Gen-X design. The right frame rail is higher in the rear than a regular Gen-X which requires a difference in ride height of 3/4" to get your static geometry correct.

Thanks Matt... I'm thinking of updating the four bar mounts on my 1894 MB wide combo... I mean 1994! The bottom brackets only have two holes (was a leaf car)... the top has about five but are single shear. I ordered some brackets form A&A and will do a mock-up and see how they will work.

Hope I didn't hijack this thread to much... as usual you guys have been lots of help...
    Class of 2019

Also. The LXT right side frame rail is raised an inch higher than the H cars. There is one less lower link hole on an LXT vs an H car