Thread: Pinion mount

Default Pinion mount

Does any manufacture make a pinion mount, preferably climbing, that goes further below the pinion than standard? As far as what might be called “standard below the pinion”

I found this one, which looks to be a tick lower than most if turned upside down (but geared towards asphalt stuff/left side of pinion). But as stated, I don't see why you couldn't just turn it upside down so to speak.

https://www.lefthanderchassis.com/v2...oduct=20811605

I can picture a two sided one in my head that I saw somewhere (I checked Wehrs, Keyser and PPM, yet can't find it), but the reason I never tried it was because the slot for the J-bar is straight up and down (like the one in the link above). I've only used the ones that are curved (to help minimize changes left to right when adjusting).

Most are not going to go much lower the 1" below pinion because it will hit most of the torque arms without a modified torque arm.

Check out these from Poskes. It looks like the Octane one is quite a bit lower.

https://www.poske.com/browse?category=61818
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

I completely overlooked the potential issue with liftbar clearance (sorry, not real focused lately).

It'd probably spark further discussion if you add what it is you're wanting to accomplish (by going lower). My J-Bar is about even with the pinion, maybe a touch lower, but I've gotten away from moving it at all. I don't always get the results I would like in the slick (probably more my driving style), but I know of some guys out there who are fast, and don't touch the J-Bar at all.

Thank you everyone for the replies and input. It would be more of an option for trial and error testing. In my area, you’re bottom of the pinion and still lacking side bite at some venues. Of course the “newer” no rear stagger setups may call for a high pinion location. I’ve yet to venture into that territory.....

Wehrs has one that goes 2-1/2" below pinion (part number 211). It works with their lift bar that I bought a couple of years ago in terms of clearance. I can attest to that as I have both on my active car. That being said, their new style lift bars are designed differently and don't appear to have the drop that would allow for it. But I could be looking at it wrong.

We are at 1/2" below pinion and never move it . I would look in other areas for side bite too much j-bar angle will kill your forward bite.

Default Pogo

Quote Originally Posted by MLR19 View Post
    We are at 1/2" below pinion and never move it . I would look in other areas for side bite too much j-bar angle will kill your forward bite.
    Totally agree with mlr19
    Played a lot with up and down on pinion. I found if you go to low, car feels like it pins rr more, but it stays over on rr, and kills forward traction.
    I would play more with rr birdcage indexing, maybe a bit of lead on top of rr frame rail.
    My go to has been a soft spring rubber in rr spring.
    I think there should be lifeguards in the genepool.

Quote Originally Posted by MLR19 View Post
    I do the same.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

I've seen them Lower the Whole Bar equally about 1.5" and thus needed the longer pinion mount. So they didn't use it for rake and dynamic movement but an overall Lower RC

Mlr19, Pogo, and masterSbilt is that 1/2" below center line of pinion or below the pinion over all

Quote Originally Posted by joortega22 View Post
    Mlr19, Pogo, and masterSbilt is that 1/2" below center line of pinion or below the pinion over all
    Centerline
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -1

And this is why I hate when people say things like "3 clicks up from bottom on pinion side". That will be different on the dozens of different pinion plate designs that are out there. Always refer to this measurement in reference to the centerline of the pinion shaft as this will be pretty darn close on all modern QC rear end designs.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAddDirt View Post
    Totally agree with mlr19Played a lot with up and down on pinion. I found if you go to low, car feels like it pins rr more, but it stays over on rr, and kills forward traction.I would play more with rr birdcage indexing, maybe a bit of lead on top of rr frame rail.My go to has been a soft spring rubber in rr spring.
    With that setup, a little heavier spring in RR (say 25/50 lbs heavier) thus giving the rr a bit more drive, does the lesser jbar split compensate for it and give back the LR drive? Include in that the low stagger setup.

Depending on driving style, a stiffer LF spring can also add side bite.