Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by BloomerHarvickFan View Post
    Wait a minute. Did they actually give that win to Chub Frank? after he drove through the infield???? How is that not a DQ or 1 lap penalty or something?
    Yes they did. At that time it was perfectly legal. Right after that they made a rule. I don't blame him one bit. PRP can really lock down, lapper was in the way, Billy went under the tire to pass him, so Chub said watch this sh!t.

I laugh at it, and watch it in disbelief. Chub is a cool dude who doesn't take no sh!t, so I am not surprised he did it.
    Up in the air who my next “favorite” driver is. Really losing hope on Bloomer getting anywhere back to “normal”.

Quote Originally Posted by LIS20 View Post
    What did they do - what can you do - to calm down the left front hike
    The lf hike has mostly gone away with the rise of computer programs designing moment center locations. The setups are more balanced today than in the past. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/dirt-race-car-setup/

When I first went to the spring behind, I think I had a 300# spring on the LR with 300 lbs of bite! Not something you'd see today (at least I don't think so). And I didn't limit travel in any way (well, technically it was limited at some point), so it was as aggressive as it could be.

I'm not sure when they started limiting LR hike, at least across the board by everyone. It sure was fun messing around with stuff back then, though!

I guess to save the shock but a chain limiter or the shock full extension is still trying to pull the lr off the ground? Is that why they trying to bolt lead to the axles and all this steel wheel heavy birgcage bs... it sound alot to me like robbing peter t o pay paul...

Quote Originally Posted by TheJet-09 View Post
    I see those old videos now and think of how boring the racing looked, even though you could never get enough back then. Cars just skating around, no grip, and looking like weight transfer hadn't yet been discovered (yes, even though it obviously had been).
    I was thinking the same thing while watching that 99 North/south video (I was at that race).

Tom Rients in 1991 won 10 features at Kankakee Speedway, starting the season off by winning 5 or 6 straight with the left front tire way off the ground. Nobody could touch him. First time I ever seen it and back then I was going everywhere. Haven't missed a world since 1978.

Quote Originally Posted by LIS20 View Post
    What did they do - what can you do - to calm down the left front hike
    Roll center location, soft rf spring, stiffer RR spring.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by 7tracks View Post
    Tom Rients in 1991 won 10 features at Kankakee Speedway, starting the season off by winning 5 or 6 straight with the left front tire way off the ground. Nobody could touch him. First time I ever seen it and back then I was going everywhere. Haven't missed a world since 1978.
    Kankakee started their season before most other tracks in the area in those days and Tom was winning right out of the gate that year. Word traveled fast at the spectacle Tom putting on at Kankakee and we talked to folks that came to triple K mostly to see Tom lift that left front. The stands were much abuzz when ol' Tom got in his rhythm with the left front hanging about a foot off the dirt.

Tom Rients may or may not have been the very first to hike the left front but one thing is for sure, he definitely was the first in his part of the country to do it. Much like 7tracks I was attending a lot of dirt late model races in those days both as a spectator and as a crew member and Tommy was the first I ever saw.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by 7tracks View Post
    Wasn't that a Bullitt car he ran?
    I was a highwayman
    Along the coach roads I did ride
    With sword and pistol by my side
    and I am still alive

This thread must be about the first Late Model racer who first hyked up the left front. Midwest racing news had pictures of mods in WI. hyking left fronts late 1960 s and early seventies.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman View Post
    Wasn't that a Bullitt car he ran?
    IIRC yes it was. It might have been a Mastersbilt.

Quote Originally Posted by CIRF View Post
    Kankakee started their season before most other tracks in the area in those days and Tom was winning right out of the gate that year. Word traveled fast at the spectacle Tom putting on at Kankakee and we talked to folks that came to triple K mostly to see Tom lift that left front. The stands were much abuzz when ol' Tom got in his rhythm with the left front hanging about a foot off the dirt.

Tom Rients may or may not have been the very first to hike the left front but one thing is for sure, he definitely was the first in his part of the country to do it. Much like 7tracks I was attending a lot of dirt late model races in those days both as a spectator and as a crew member and Tommy was the first I ever saw.
    I remember it pretty much the same way.

Now its all about air shocks on the LR. Most cars never really settle down "off the bars" anymore. You can see them in the pits just sitting there and the LR is not settled, the air shocks are applying rebound as they sit there.

Back in the day I can recall a race where every car was carrying the LF around the track yet Bloomer wasnt and he set fast time and won his heat going away. When the announcer asked him about the attitude of his car vs. the others he simply said that these cars have 4 tires for a reason.

I still say he was one of the first to have REALLY long LF shock travel as well