Default Why did Barren County Speedway close

Just curious about the joint. Think I saw it closed in 2004. Was it struggling at the end for cars and just failed or something else? Always heard it was the place to be in 80s-90s before the world 100.

Thanks for any info.

Loved that place! Dang scrap yard.

Someone bought the track back in the eighties and made the mistake of selling part of the property which started out being a dump for used tires and then a scrapyard moved in taking much of the parking area.

The track really took a bad hit when a car went off the track into the pits and someone got killed. This track was an awesome high banked track with no guardrail. I believe after that death insurance companies demanded an outside guardrail and they installed one, but in doing so they also destroyed what Barron County was all about, speed and the awesome high banks. The tracks banking was graded away. The track and crowd was never the same and the owner let it all go to the scrapyard.

What a great race track and place to be to watch races. Very tragic and sad to see it gone.
    Last edited by Clayton_Wetter; 10-13-2017 at 06:18 PM.

In its day... best dirt track in the country...
    Track had at least 2 deaths, 1 Clayton mentioned other was from motocross track built on the infield... best I remember but, best side by side racing I ever saw...
    Bobby Allison was in the house a few times...
    RIP BCS...

Quote Originally Posted by wfofan View Post
    In its day... best dirt track in the country...
    Track had at least 2 deaths, 1 Clayton mentioned other was from motocross track built on the infield... best I remember but, best side by side racing I ever saw...
    Bobby Allison was in the house a few times...
    RIP BCS...
    Late Model driver Gerald Dixon, Sellersburg, Indiana rolled after going over the bank in turn one and was badly injured, ending his racing career.

I was told Allison designed the track but have no proof of that.
    Last edited by Clayton_Wetter; 10-13-2017 at 06:35 PM.

Crew cheif of terry english was killed at track when a bomber car went off track and hit the 96 car while he was underneath working on it think his name was terry enger

Quote Originally Posted by bleedsbluer2 View Post
    Crew cheif of terry english was killed at track when a bomber car went off track and hit the 96 car while he was underneath working on it think his name was terry enger
    That is horrible, I had never heard that ......rest in peace.
    Where is the move over flag when you need it?????

Saw many. many races over the years at BCS, from both the pits and the stands. With the covered grandstands and no guardrails it kind of reminded me of Brownstown, but on a larger scale (and a better track). Definitely a horsepower track. I was there the day the crewman got killed, and I know it was a day race, possibly a Sunday race if my memory serves correctly. I remember the fellow's young son was there also and witnessed the accident. Horrible deal and I remember them cancelling the remaining races that day after the accident.

Who remembers the #7 "Never Nervous" Ned...something... that would never lift the throttle all the way around the track? I remember the crowd going wild when he would do that.

Ned Lucas was who it was.

good ol days... Russ Petro (K1)... Jeff Purvis... Harry Underwood... Fats Coffey... Eddie Pace... Jeff Napier...
    Johnny Wheeler... Jim Curry... Edwin Anthony... Jimmy/Timmy/Frank Payne... Freddie Smith...Don Hobbs...Pat Patrick...
    and many more but I loved watching that K1 car circle the speedway the best...

Quote Originally Posted by wfofan View Post
    good ol days... Russ Petro (K1)... Jeff Purvis... Harry Underwood... Fats Coffey... Eddie Pace... Jeff Napier...
    Johnny Wheeler... Jim Curry... Edwin Anthony... Jimmy/Timmy/Frank Payne... Freddie Smith...Don Hobbs...Pat Patrick...
    and many more but I loved watching that K1 car circle the speedway the best...
    Those names sure do bring back a lot of memories, before the internet and all the social media, it was exciting on the ride to the track because you had no idea who was going to be there. Even though I don't feel that old, I sometimes forget just how long I've been going to dirt track races, and I swear I'm just as excited today when I get to the track, I'm almost in a run to get to the ticket line. Keeps me young I guess.

And don't forget about my favorite driver (and where my 4m name is from), ol' #11, Thurman "Finn" Watson.

Gary mahoney and steve trabue put on good shows as well

Terry Egner was Terry's crew chief that was fatally injured. Terry was also injured.
    Last edited by STRONGERTHANDIRT; 10-15-2017 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Finnfan View Post
    Saw many. many races over the years at BCS, from both the pits and the stands. With the covered grandstands and no guardrails it kind of reminded me of Brownstown, but on a larger scale (and a better track). Definitely a horsepower track. I was there the day the crewman got killed, and I know it was a day race, possibly a Sunday race if my memory serves correctly. I remember the fellow's young son was there also and witnessed the accident. Horrible deal and I remember them cancelling the remaining races that day after the accident.

Who remembers the #7 "Never Nervous" Ned...something... that would never lift the throttle all the way around the track? I remember the crowd going wild when he would do that.
    He also went over the bank too often lol

Quote Originally Posted by Finnfan View Post
    Saw many. many races over the years at BCS, from both the pits and the stands. With the covered grandstands and no guardrails it kind of reminded me of Brownstown, but on a larger scale (and a better track). Definitely a horsepower track. I was there the day the crewman got killed, and I know it was a day race, possibly a Sunday race if my memory serves correctly. I remember the fellow's young son was there also and witnessed the accident. Horrible deal and I remember them cancelling the remaining races that day after the accident.Who remembers the #7 "Never Nervous" Ned...something... that would never lift the throttle all the way around the track? I remember the crowd going wild when he would do that.
    Yes it was Ned Lucas. Lost his life to cancer awhile ago. I use to go with him and help him some. As far as I know his track record was still standing when the place shut down. 13.78 if I remember correctly, flying on a 3/8 mile track. Was my favorite track by far!!!

Russ Petro did a 12.86 and later on Moran beat that time in an All Star COC race.

Actually Petro holds the all time record.

Russ Petro held the all-time Super Late Model track record at Barren County with a lap of 12.21 seconds that was turned in at an Outlaw Run Whatcha Brung Late Model event in July of 1989.

I'm 47 years old and my father had me going with him since I can remember. We would go to Ponderosa Speedway (Ky.) on Friday night, Richmond Raceway Saturday night, and then to Clay City on Sunday. Back in the day whoever won the late model feature at Richmond Raceway would let a couple kids (myself included) climb in the car and go a lap with them (slow of course) after the race was over. I feel lucky to have grown up in when I did and be able to watch what I consider some of the greatest that ever got behind the wheel of a dirt late model. Including the green #10 of Fats Coffey, The #44 of Robert Earl, The D-1 of Gerald Dixon, The #72 of E.M. Snowden Jr., Butterball, Black Jack Boggs, etc.. Only went to Barren Co. once but fell in love with that place pretty dam quick. As soon as we paid and got our pit passes and walked up to the track I looked up and Russ Petro was screaming around that place. Never forget that. Man... The good old days.

Didn't they use to have small square burgers! was a fast ass track.......

Food was as good as the racing...total package...