Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Tader Masters opinion of passing points...Racing Welfare!

Word for word quote from his twitter account.......Passing points suck. Draw for your starting spot and lucky people get points for starting up front and holding...it's like racing welfare.

I agree passing points suck.

And how is qualifying fair??

Quote Originally Posted by ptown View Post
    Word for word quote from his twitter account.......Passing points suck. Draw for your starting spot and lucky people get points for starting up front and holding...it's like racing welfare.

When that same guy starts in the back in Rd 2, he don't get squat. Racers don't generally like to race.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier_Dirt View Post
    And how is qualifying fair??
    Exactly! A guy with a good draw or a lucky lap starts up front.
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by ptown View Post

If the track sucks.... then the format sucks. I've seen enough passing point heat races to tell you that it does make the racing more exciting as guys will take more chances(good or bad) to pass a guy.

With the 2 round system.... it throws passing points out the window. Everything evens out because of the invert. All you need to go by is average finish. JD and Owens had the highest average of 1.5. That's why they have the most points and are on the front row.

The definition of racing welfare should probably be pointed to the Ray Cook series. That's just my opinion though.

Idk but I do think its better than qualifying cause you get a second chance if you have a bad finish...

Just the next thing, in a long line of things, to biT(h about.....

Next.....

Quote Originally Posted by Illtsate32 View Post
    Idk but I do think its better than qualifying cause you get a second chance if you have a bad finish...
    That doesn't necessarily mean you will make the feature. Take Hudson Oneal for instance. He won his 1st heat but finished mid pack (6th) and he is on the front row of a B-main. It's still a matter of getting a "lucky draw" for each heat. I will give the lucky draw to Owens. Look at his 1st heat. Starts 9th and finishes 2nd. Not a strong heat to start but 1st lap the front row is taken out. Restart puts him to 7th and he hasn't made a lap. He ends up 2nd because of the weaker competition. He starts on the pole of his 2nd round heat and wins. For some guys its a great way race and sometimes it can be bad. I'm a fan of this format but its still a matter of how well you can draw.....

Its two races to show what you got. Can't see it being much fairer. Luck always plays in to some degree. Gilpin was unable to capitalize on the weak sisters in his heat because they were racing each other too hard. So now, the format is no good. Lol
    Modern Day Wedge Racing
    Florence -2
    Atomic - 1

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSbilt_Racer View Post
    Its two races to show what you got. Can't see it being much fairer. Luck always plays in to some degree. Gilpin was unable to capitalize on the weak sisters in his heat because they were racing each other too hard. So now, the format is no good. Lol
    Gilpin has talent . That's obvious, but it's going to take a coupe seasons or more to learn what they need to do to win in the LM. It's going to be really tough to have the kind of success that they had in the Modified. It may very well be unachievable.
    Last edited by Senroc-Systems; 10-21-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Pay more points and $$$ in qualifying... start the fast guy at or near the tail. That way a guy who starts back in the field still gets a fair shake at the payoff window... it worked that way at my home tracks in WI for 40 years. A good qualifier could finish in the top 3 in season points without a win by good qualifying and enough top 5 finishes...
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019

Gilpin had a very fast car the 2nd round and started in the back of his heat. He also stepped on his meat and waded the front end up, fell back and then had to drive passed the cars that he had already passed once before.

That stuff doesn't happen, Gilpin is in the show and everybody is happy.

Qualifying does not belong in dirt racing.

Racing welfare is the NASCAR "playoffs".
    Opinions are my own. Twitter.com/ShinySideUp18

Quote Originally Posted by Krooser View Post
    Pay more points and $$$ in qualifying... start the fast guy at or near the tail. That way a guy who starts back in the field still gets a fair shake at the payoff window... it worked that way at my home tracks in WI for 40 years. A good qualifier could finish in the top 3 in season points without a win by good qualifying and enough top 5 finishes...
    What if I limp a half ass time, knowing im much faster than I'm running?

Even a bad draw for passing points is evened out because you don't run against the same cars in your second heat. Ifyou runwith the tough guys in your first heat, you won't in the second heat. I think the guys complaining are the ones that have trouble finding the easy guys. What I like most about the passing points, is it doesn't train the track to be one groove train race.

There is the chance that you tear up a car racing, but there is also a chance you don't have fans to foot the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Minny Lakes View Post
    Qualifying does not belong in dirt racing.
    Well it could be used in point passing. Group 6 to 8 drivers in time trial, fastest to slowest times get pick what position they want to start in heat. What group you did time trail in that will be first heat you race for points. Then second go around for passing point, do a drawing what heat they will be in. Drivers do invert what position they picked from the first heat they ran.

Some people like watching qualifying and you get invert passing point heat racing too.

Quote Originally Posted by slmcrewchief99 View Post
    That doesn't necessarily mean you will make the feature. Take Hudson Oneal for instance. He won his 1st heat but finished mid pack (6th) and he is on the front row of a B-main. It's still a matter of getting a "lucky draw" for each heat. I will give the lucky draw to Owens. Look at his 1st heat. Starts 9th and finishes 2nd. Not a strong heat to start but 1st lap the front row is taken out. Restart puts him to 7th and he hasn't made a lap. He ends up 2nd because of the weaker competition. He starts on the pole of his 2nd round heat and wins. For some guys its a great way race and sometimes it can be bad. I'm a fan of this format but its still a matter of how well you can draw.....
    Dang I dont see how a first and a sixth didnt get hudson in he must of started on the pole in the 1st heat...but Owens may have had a weak heat but starting 9th in a heat is def not a lucky draw...
    Last edited by Illtsate32; 10-21-2017 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kwd1253 View Post
    Well it could be used in point passing. Group 6 to 8 drivers in time trial, fastest to slowest times get pick what position they want to start in heat. What group you did time trail in that will be first heat you race for points. Then second go around for passing point, do a drawing what heat they will be in. Drivers do invert what position they picked from the first heat they ran.

Some people like watching qualifying and you get invert passing point heat racing too.
    Knoxville LM Nationals, does something like that. They give big points for time, then invert the fast eight. You get points for qualifying, heats and feature each night. It always seems the fast guys get to the front and put on a show doing it. If you sandbag you lose big points. You have to run hard every time on the track. I believe I like the doublepassing points for most tracks, to help eliminate the one groove track.