Default E85 question 87%

Just bought E85 at the pump today that checked out to be at 87%...running a ct525.. should I try to bring in down or would 87% be ok?

Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry_hound View Post
    Just bought E85 at the pump today that checked out to be at 87%...running a ct525.. should I try to bring in down or would 87% be ok?
    You will if, you need to pass tech where they only allow 84 to 86. 1 or 2 % won't make much of a difference as far as air/fuel ratio, but passing tech will depending on rules.

Ok thanks,,, no tech here so should be ok. Any estimate on how much 93 octane it would take added to 50 gallons to lower 2% ?

Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry_hound View Post
    Ok thanks,,, no tech here so should be ok. Any estimate on how much 93 octane it would take added to 50 gallons to lower 2% ?
    I never have to do the mixing myself so this is a guess but would believe it to be correct: Just take 2% of volume of the amount of fuel your correcting and add 2% more gas to lower to 85%

50 gallons of fuel x 2% = 1.0 gallons

Someone else could verify but I don't see why that wouldn't be correct.

I am sure that a mathematical equation can work but I always prefer to be cautious when bringing it down

it easy to go too far and tuff to bring it back up
    I suggest using half of the figured amount and restest

we have found the best way to mix it-- is with a long blow gun using air
    make sure you are well ventilated and wear and use proper safety equipment

as for the actual content ---we have found that 84 to 85 will restart better than higher contents so I would recommend busting it down some but 87% is not over the top where it will run bad
    89 to 90 will be very sluggish on restarts

hope that helps
    Brad
    www.race-1.com

Thanks guys,,, I was planning on being cautious just so I don’t go too far under Brad,,, been using a long blow wand to agitate,,, probably be fine where it is but will play around with it just to see how close I can get. 👍

If you have a known amount of E-87 (say 50 gallons) take 50 x .87 = amount of total ethanol so 50 x.87 = 43.5 gallons total ethanol . Divide that by .85 so 43.5 /.85 = 51.17 gallons. 51.17- 50 = 1.17 is the amount you would add
    to 50 gallons of e-87 to make it 51.17 gallons of e-85. I always ck content before filling drums, then calculate how many gallons I need to add, add 87 octane & let it mix on the way home.

MLR your right on ,,, I got it down to 85%. Thanks

Had a guy ask me at the track if E85 would run ok in his bigger cu in motor, probably 700 hp 420ci,,, anyone know if it would? I wasn’t sure if the octane would be high enough

We have ran it in 14-1 compression 750 hp motors, not sure about higher compression ratios.

I'm not sure what these turbo ls motors are compression wise, but they run e85 on some big boost twin turbo cars and it makes big hp gains for them.