Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crate motors

Default Crate motors

if you bust a block 604 or 602 is there a gm block that is a legal replacement or can a bare 604 an 602 block be bought from gm?

both engines use the same block and both engines came from the production line so to answer the first part of your question ---YES you could possibly find a block from another application that will be legal
    the problem is usually they are wore out and crate engines have no provision for an overbore.

second part of your question is also ---YES
    here is a link to a new block from GM ---they are finished and ready to assemble after a quick wash---and they come with cam bearings
    http://race-1.com/i-18113602-1010512...main-seal.html

don't be confused by the description noting 4.00 to 4.030
    they are 4 inch and can be bored to 4.030 for other applications

Brad
    www.race-1.com
    Last edited by brad hibbard; 10-30-2017 at 12:02 PM.

brad what production blocks can be used? any one piece rear seal block??? our track owner encouraging teams to build up there own 602s and local engine builder check them n seal them! seems that would cost more in parts than buying a new one from gm
    white trash motorsports

the 602 block was commonly used in pick up truck applications (late 80's thru the 90's) is what I have been told by dealership parts people

look for casting # 10243880 on the back passenger side of the block (below distributor)

basically the entire engine is a production engine with the exception of the intake, oil pan, valve covers
    I am not sure about the camshaft but it may also be the same in some applications

Brad
    www.race-1.com

thanks brad!
    white trash motorsports

do these only come with 4 bolt main caps?

The crate motors are 4 bolt main caps, the 880 block from a production car could be either 4 or 2. GM makes a replacement block & also a replacement short block for the 604 (search ZZ4 Short block) I think the complete short block is available in the $2200 range.

Short Block Part # 12561723

Heres one from pace performance at $2149,free shipping, and $250 rebate.

http://paceperformance.com/i-6255345...ck-engine.html
    Turn LEFT, Vote RIGHT!

why wouldn't this zz4 work for a 602?
    white trash motorsports

I believe the 602 uses a different piston

The 602 has a different crank and different pistons

GM just dropped the price of the 604 short block and it has changed our thought process going into rebuild season
    any time an engine needs pistons it just makes sense financially to use a complete short block

MLR19---thank you for the heads up on the casting number possibility of being either a 2 or 4 bolt main block
    I did not realize that

Brad
    www.race-1.com

what are the difference between the newer alum. head and the older, and are there any hp to be gained with the newer head?

Depends on what you call the "newer head"
    the 604 aluminum head has always been casted and finished with the same specifications and dimensions
    with the exception of the spring package there has never been anything intentionally changed
    many people talk about the logo change on the end of the head----it was exactly that---a logo change
    nothing else was changed

if you go back before 2009 the valve job was not real good but that is fixable

the heads certainly look nicer these days but we do not see any gains

the bee hive valve springs are certainly a plus but other than that they are all pretty close

Brad
    www.race-1.com

thank you again brad for the info

Brad,after how many races do you suggest new pistons???

i wondered that to and whats the max bore for this.

Here's what I have found with the 604 pistons, keep RPM 6800 or lower (or more importantly no valve float) and stay away from detonation and overheating ,they will last a long time.
    Over 6800 leads to valve float and also loads the wrist pin bore excessively and the piston life is shortened considerably. Unfortunately the racing is getting close enough that someone willing to over rev his engine has an advantage on corner exit & restarts (but shortened engine life). I would love to see all tracks institute a RPM rule .
    This is similar to the tire problem, at the tracks where we race if you aren't bolting a new RR on for every feature, and LR every other ,you are giving up speed, because there are multiple guys doing it. Same with engines, abuse & replace as necessary. These cars are so hooked up on soft tires that they are working these engines beyond their designed purpose. It's not uncommon to run a 10 lap heat race without lifting. I'm amazed they last as long as they do.
    Last edited by MLR19; 11-15-2017 at 04:12 PM.

Have to agree with the statement from MLR19
    the guys that insist on running 7000 to 7200 or actually anything above 6800 are significantly shortening the life of the entire engine

let me add this to be more direct about the question
    top ring land wear is overlooked by many rebuilders
    top ring lands will wear more quickly with high timing, low grade fuels and poor air cleaner systems
    a piston can look perfect---the skirt can measure perfect---but once the top ring land is worn it will have what is called ring flutter
    when the ring flutters it wears the ring, block and piston at a very quick rate
    I am sure many folks can remember having an old worn out engine rebuilt and the thing runs great for 5 races or so and then it is back to lacking on RPM, using oil and over all down on power.
    this was because the ring flutter wore the parts quickly.
    the GM piston used to be $100 each which made it a hard choice as to whether or not to replace them
    They now are in kit form and price out substantially less
    In our shop we find that almost always on the second rebuild the engine will need new pistons due to top ring land wear

hope some of that helps
    Brad
    www.race-1.com

Ring flutter = poor sealing at max RPM too.

on the rockers can u run anything other than 1.5's ratio?