Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by ClampedUp View Post
    $40 to $50+/hr, time and a half after 8 hours and Saturdays double time after 12 hours, Sundays, and holidays. $40+/hr for the rig. $150 to $250+/day per diem. Plus various other benefits and bonuses.
    I thought so. I know a couple pipeliners, one of their lay down yards is about 5 minutes from my house. Money is great, just gotta be willing to work a sh!tload and chase it.

I don't doubt that people are making that kind of money welding in certain situations. I was disagreeing with the fact that Clamped said that if they are not paying welders at Rocket 100-200k yr plus benefits that they were not being paid well. Most people don't want to work 80+ hour weeks and be on the road, especially if they have a family. Hell, I don't even have a family to worry about beyond just me and my wife and I sure as hell don't want to work those hours, not even for a week let alone all the time. For a normal 40 hour a week job if Rocket is paying $50k that is good pay -- especially in rural WV. I doubt there is a chassis company out there willing to pay their welders 100-200k.

Those chassis shops are just another small business... anyone who's owned their own deal know's they could never afford to pay their guys that kind of money. You take what they can afford to pay you or you go home... pretty simple.

Pipeline work is another ballgame....
    Member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame
    Class of 2019